Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA doubled premium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Telsa Insurance is alright...until you have to use it. I filed a simple claim that was something that Tesla service could fix. However, as soon as Tesla service found out that I had Tesla Insurance they cancelled my appointment with a note that they are not allowed to do work for Telsa insurance. I was then texted instructions from Tesla Insurance that I needed to find a third party repair center, get an estimate, and then send that to Tesla Insurance. In the meantime, I was told that I would be contacted by an agent after they reviewed my initial claim. I never heard back, multiple text messages went unanswered, and I finally gave up, resubmitted a service ticket and paid myself. Later on, I called to update my address with Telsa Insurance, and the agent said that they severely understaffed and he had to submit a request on my behalf to cancel my claim. It had sat untouched for more than 3 months and was still open and waiting on the agent to contact me.

I will be dropping Telsa Insurance when I trade in/sell my Model 3 and take delivery of my MXP that is on order. And based on how stellar the service I received in the past from USAA was, I will be going back to them for the insurance on the MXP irregardless of whether it is more than Tesla Insurance or not.

To cmaster's point - I'm afraid Telsa insurance is the exception to the rule. Their customer service wasn't just poor, it was horrible.
This is my biggest concern with Tesla insurance although it is dirt cheap. The underwriter in Texas is Redpoint Mutual which has no positive reviews and the group company has only 6+ million in revenue with a countable number of employees .. less than my landscaper. Though I am not surprised at all about the customer service, SC probably doesn't want the hassle of filing the claim for you, and/or most of the customer service reps are clueless about what should be done.

$689 @ 6 months. State Farm (2 cars, 1 house for multi-discount)

So State Farm does do insurance in my area but just not online. I called a local state farm office and got a quote for $2600 every 6 months making them by far the highest quote I've gotten so far. This is with $1000/$1000 deductibles and $250K/$500K bodily.

She said bringing over multiple cars and homeowners would lower the premium for the X by about 20%. So USAA is still winning by a huge margin here.

The lowest price so far was Tesla by about $400 / year but given the dismal reviews I don't think I'd touch Tesla unless they were less than half of USAA....maybe not even then. Based on some of the reviews, it seems like having Tesla insurance is almost like not even having insurance.

Last edited:
So State Farm does do insurance in my area but just not online. I called a local state farm office and got a quote for $2600 every 6 months making them by far the highest quote I've gotten so far. This is with $1000/$1000 deductibles and $250K/$500K bodily.

She said bringing over multiple cars and homeowners would lower the premium for the X by about 20%. So USAA is still winning by a huge margin here.

The lowest price so far was Tesla by about $400 / year but given the dismal reviews I don't think I'd touch Tesla unless they were less than half of USAA....maybe not even then. Based on some of the reviews, it seems like having Tesla insurance is almost like not even having insurance.
Have you tried Costco/Connect? Costco/Ameriprise used to have very good reputations but after switching to Connect, there are more complaints against them. Amica has excellent service, I have used them, and claims were settled in a few days, but obviously also the most expensive one. I recently researched the option to switch from Tesla, and pretty much came to the conclusion they are the cheapest by a large margin in Texas (2-3/4x). Now I just discovered they are changing the underwriter and taking over themselves, I will check who is the underwriter next month to be sure but probably will change, rather pay more than give a runaround by them. I am sure in your case USAA is still the best option.

Last edited:
$689 @ 6 months. State Farm (2 cars, 1 house for multi-discount)

What's your annual mileage... deductible for comp/collision... and the coverage limits? I have a ton of insurance with State Farm and they're super expensive for this Model X compared to my Volvo? Was $300 per 6 months now almost $1,000 per 6 months.

9,000 annual miles... Bodily Injury $500k/$250k... Uninsured $500k/$250k... Property $100k. $1k c/c deductibles. I have zero speeding tickets, DUIs, or accident claims for all my decades of driving. Like if a spotless driving record means premiums this high, how expensive is it to repair these bloody things?!

I think it's not about repairs. How do I know? Well, take a BMW 7 series, Mercedes G Wagon, Porsche 911....etc...their parts are just as expensive, if not more. How is it that you still can find cheaper insurance?

I think it's the location. Parts doesn't really have any bearing for it. For example, I know some folks who has spotless records on a Honda Civic DX 2004 with rates well above what I have for a Tesla Model S. They had quoted at one point over $1200, which is double what I pay.

What's your annual mileage... deductible for comp/collision... and the coverage limits? I have a ton of insurance with State Farm and they're super expensive for this Model X compared to my Volvo? Was $300 per 6 months now almost $1,000 per 6 months.

9,000 annual miles... Bodily Injury $500k/$250k... Uninsured $500k/$250k... Property $100k. $1k c/c deductibles. I have zero speeding tickets, DUIs, or accident claims for all my decades of driving. Like if a spotless driving record means premiums this high, how expensive is it to repair these bloody things?!
Well I apologize because my memory failed me. We had MetLife for 2.5 decades and they were fairly recently bought out by Farmers not State Farm. As well my $ was from an old Gsheet and was a ways off as the last few years have changed. I'm not sure what my annual miles is currently as I retired some years ago but do road trips.

thDDaNS.jpg

Well I apologize because my memory failed me. We had MetLife for 2.5 decades and they were fairly recently bought out by Farmers not State Farm. As well my $ was from an old Gsheet and was a ways off as the last few years have changed. I'm not sure what my annual miles is currently as I retired some years ago but do road trips.

thDDaNS.jpg

Lol I went from being outraged to being... mostly indifferent haha. Your coverage is almost identical to mine... but your collision premium is much higher than mine with the same deductible. I guess my safe driving is paying off?

Although I still wonder why that 2019 Volvo was sooooo cheap to insure while a 2023 Model X is a huge step up. The Model X is red so maybe that has something to do with it??

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I wonder if the high insurance cost for the X has to do with the rumored need to total EVs with "minor" damage if it gets near the battery pack.

The reasoning straight from my agent (copied and pasted verbatim):
Yes, Tesla’s are more expensive, they are pretty expensive due to repairs. When they are in an accident there are so many sensors, etc.. to fix and that goes into price rating. Hoping you do save in Gas though which is worth it!

“I had USAA and on the renewal this month
my rates were stupid expensive for ‘22 S Long Range and a ‘22 Hyundai SUV. About $450 a month. Got several quotes and in the end GEICO was 1/2 the cost of USAA, State Farm, AAA, etc. About $250 for both cars. Tesla insurance wanted $350 just for the S...

GEICO low rates for Tesla

Discovered that USAA have been charging folks a high premium

Yes, Tesla’s are more expensive, they are pretty expensive due to repairs. When they are in an accident there are so many sensors, etc.. to fix and that goes into price rating. Hoping you do save in Gas though which is worth it!
Hmm. It sounds like your agent has an ax to grind with EVs.

• Funny
Reactions: cmaster
Hmm. It sounds like your agent has an ax to grind with EVs.

I wonder if State Farm realizes the new Model X doesn't have sensors any more and is a pain in the ass to park. Worst "technologically advanced car" in terms of helping the driver park it. Highly recommend passing on the Model X if you have to navigate California-sized parking or street parking.

This isn't like Kansas... where you can put a King Ranch Dually in a spot no problem. Freaking cost cutting sucks.

I think the sensor and gizmo's, it's not just costs to test/replace/fix them, but just removing and re-installing adds quite a bit of labor even if they're not broken... A few years back, I checked with a paint/body shop about replacing the plastic front valance (i.e. the large front bumper cover) on my Model S, because I'd scratched one part enough to physically gouge the plastic. The unpainted valance itself was <$150 from Tesla, body shop painting was several hundred, but removing the old valance and installing the new one was close to $1000 just because of all the sensors and other things that needed to be detached and reattached...

The BMW has the fluid reservoir pump for the headlights. The part is $6, but, the dealership charges about $600 to replace. How do you replace it? Simple, remove the front wheels, the wheel liner, and remove the pump. Basic household screw drivers are the only things needed.

The parts that Tesla uses for sensor is actually very easy to replace. Taking off the bumper don't require any skills. Just knowing how to unscrew the bumper. Heck, I hit a deer at 35 mph and the bumper sort of mis-aligned. I fixed it so easily. When I first hit the deer, I thought to myself, sh**t. Turns out the plastic bumper is so easy to remove relative to the non-plastic exterior.

I wonder if State Farm realizes the new Model X doesn't have sensors any more and is a pain in the ass to park. Worst "technologically advanced car" in terms of helping the driver park it. Highly recommend passing on the Model X if you have to navigate California-sized parking or street parking.

This isn't like Kansas... where you can put a King Ranch Dually in a spot no problem. Freaking cost cutting sucks.
I don't think by sensors, they meant parking sensors. In general, Tesla is more expensive to repair, parts are part of equations. Elon/Tesla actually asks body shops to charge less, but they have invested much in training and equipment in order to get certified, so this is part of the equation, also statistics show accidents rate and severity have increased, which leads to another increase, plus Tesla may be more time consuming to repair and easily written off ...

They will probably add the parking distance into the camera model soon for some cars. The refreshed model 3 LR photos supposedly show a new front with a camera that could be used for distant estimation.

Last edited:
They will probably add the parking distance into the camera model soon for some cars. The refreshed model 3 LR photos supposedly show a new front with a camera that could be used for distant estimation.

Yeah having a front bumper cam would be great.

You know what else would be great? The goddamn ultrasonic sensors like what my neighbor has on his 90D X

Also, it really really really sucks to keep seeing this message every time I drive the car...

It's not because the feature isn't working - it's because the feature simply doesn't exist. And Tesla's reps told us service would get it working when we took delivery of the vehicle. They said "submit a ticket."

1681855181404-jpeg.929645

They even loaded the manual and said "see???"

Yeah having a front bumper cam would be great.

You know what else would be great? The goddamn ultrasonic sensors like what my neighbor has on his 90D X
I think I have a set of sensors lying around in the micro systems spares pile. The software and wiring are up to you. They work OK on one of these. How hard can it be?

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec