Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to manage expectations: the iPod was a personal music storage and playback device. That’s what it did. So it evolved rapidly to become a great one.

Tesla never has, and never will, prioritize USB. It’s a nice feature they provided alongside streaming, which has been their focus for entertainment. While a lot of us wish they had just licensed usb music software with all the standard features, they did not... they wrote a rudimentary system with half the standard features.

having used USB as my primary Tesla music source since 2012, and participated in all of the threads about it, I’ve learned to manage my expectations and enjoy what’s there. Life is too short to tilt at windmills.

they can’t “fix” gapless playback or gain leveling. They never had it. They could add it, but don’t hold your breath.

they have largely fixed “resume”. Didn’t use to work at all, and now mostly works. I’m convinced that when it doesn’t, it is issue of timing between usb device and startup of other components. They are going to tell you to change devices. Don’t bother unless it is frequent... you will waste time and money.

album art is broken. It DID work and now doesn’t. We should continue making noise about that. And I’m confident they will fix eventually. It took over a year to fix resume when they broke that a few years ago.

asking for a full featured usb player is tilting at windmills... don’t waste your energy and outrage. Enjoy great flac playback and listen to the music
The only thing I want is the album art and to show recents, not a blank screen.

Reactions: vnxs and Nobleman
While a lot of us wish they had just licensed usb music software with all the standard features, they did not... they wrote a rudimentary system with half the standard features.
They didn't "license" or "write" the software, it was borrowed from an old free lib they found somewhere. They wrote some user interface parts. Heard this direct from a former software engineer there.
they can’t “fix” gapless playback or gain leveling. They never had it. They could add it, but don’t hold your breath.
They actually made an attempt to "fix" it once - it got noticeably better at one point. I've been bugging them about this since day one. It most certainly could be fixed - all the standalone DAPs had gapless playback by 2005. Getting it fixed may mean moving beyond the free code they're using though.

I strongly disagree with you about tilting at windmills - things don't get better unless people complain. If you're happy with this lame cobbled together system, then enjoy it and get out of the way of those of us who want better. It CAN be improved.

They didn't "license" or "write" the software, it was borrowed from an old free lib they found somewhere. They wrote some user interface parts. Heard this direct from a former software engineer there.

They actually made an attempt to "fix" it once - it got noticeably better at one point. I've been bugging them about this since day one. It most certainly could be fixed - all the standalone DAPs had gapless playback by 2005. Getting it fixed may mean moving beyond the free code they're using though.

I strongly disagree with you about tilting at windmills - things don't get better unless people complain. If you're happy with this lame cobbled together system, then enjoy it and get out of the way of those of us who want better. It CAN be improved.
I’m not in the way. I’m rooting for it to be improved, but would settle for broken bits fixed since I give improved zero percent probability. My prediction: we will see tidal and other lossless streaming before they even fix art. If/When that happens, then you can totally write off any USB improvements, unless they someday open up MCU to software developers.... which has also been discussed for almost a decade and is IMO a much better windmill to tilt at.

Thanks. I'm hopeful for at least some small fixes, at least the album art thing. Even if that doesn't get fixed I'll be fine. I've been doing these little "chats" with their support about the missing album art for a bit over a month now. But this time I'd throw in the other stuff as well. Which at least seemed to press some different buttons. Probably nothing will happen. But if something does happen, that'll be great. Maybe v11 will have all kinds of fixes when it comes out. Remember when they made an attempt to get the resume working better, and get the file system displaying tracks in the correct order? Those were things that I was bugging them about on a weekly basis back then, when they had the old support system in place, and once in a while you'd get replies from someone in the position to do something about things. I know I wasn't the only one making those suggestions, but nothing would have been done if no-one made suggestions.

Reactions: tomas and kpgrizz
I had a similar conversation with Tesla months ago. Chat told me to take it up with a service appointment. So I did. We chatted about it. Similar effect: logged the issue and investigated it with my car's data.

I don't even use a Flash drive - I use a spinning, mechanical 1.8" iPod hard drive, the same drive that's been used in the car for the years since Sentry came out as a feature. Partitioned in half: 40gb music & 40gb video storage. If anything can go wrong, it'll go wrong with mine - so I'm always told 🙄😂 (spoiler alert: it's never missed a video nor rarely a beat). Reason being: hard drives are rejuvenated by constant writing, whereas flash media wears out by constant writing. So I can safely write continuously to this hard drive until the heat death of the universe, which is awesome.

But yeah, Tesla has known for quite some time now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: sduck
But yeah, Tesla has known for quite some time now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What frustrates me about a lot of companies is they know about the problem, and know the details, but they still ask these dumb questions about what drive you're using, what formatting, what year and model car you have, how many miles are on it, and whether you've tried reformatting or replacing the drive. Then, if you make it that far, you never hear from them again.

It seems to me that they went far enough to include a pretty nice music system in the car, but then they make it hard for you to enjoy it. Using the phone's BT isn't any better, just easier, but it's not a good replacement for music lovers.

they still ask these dumb questions about what drive you're using, what formatting, what year and model car you have, how many miles are on it, and whether you've tried reformatting or replacing the drive. Then, if you make it that far, you never hear from them again.
oh god YES. I think the blame there is that the issue isn't universally known among support reps enough to point to the known issue immediately. I think Tesla has an internal issues database that reps can search, but they don't immediately know it's a prevalent issue, so they try ... well, to put it unkindly, to blame the user first. Kind of an innocent mistake when a lot of issues actually *are* user error.

(case in "must be user error" counterpoint: my setup is probably the least-likely-to-work option - a hard drive with slow/multi-second initialization, partitioned in half to hack the dashcam capability to work, and it had always worked prior to the Spotify UI refresh update. If it can work on mine, it can work on yours! LOL)

Wish we could get an issue ID for them to search on. I know USB media is probably the least-used option in media support, so this is kind of a hard one to press them for. If someone can try and get an issue ID we can share here, maybe it can get more flags put on it to bump it in priority. I've asked for such a reference, but got the equivalent of a "dumb look" when I asked. I dunno. There's got to be some way to reference the issue in their system...

(but also note how even Spotify still has dumb issues, like taking over playback priority any time you open the car door, even if you're listening to USB media... it'll stop other devices linked on your account as if you're actively listening to Spotify in the car. And how TuneIn/podcasts just give "loading error" at the slightest provocation, instead of resuming/retrying the stream load automatically. It's all a bit screwy and hacky!)

Last edited:
(case in "must be user error" counterpoint: my setup is probably the least-likely-to-work option - a hard drive with slow/multi-second initialization, partitioned in half to hack the dashcam capability to work, and it had always worked prior to the Spotify UI refresh update. If it can work on mine, it can work on yours! LOL)

Wish we could get an issue ID for them to search on. I know USB media is probably the least-used option in media support, so this is kind of a hard one to press them for. If someone can try and get an issue ID we can share here, maybe it can get more flags put on it to bump it in priority. I've asked for such a reference, but got the equivalent of a "dumb look" when I asked. I dunno. There's got to be some way to reference the issue in their system...
One thing I do before calling support is eliminate as many variables as possible, and try as many different methods as I can. For example, in this case, I took a USB stick (actually, the one that came with the car with Tesla branding), put some music on it, and plugged it into one of the USB ports using a USB A to C adapter I had laying around. All the problems were still there, so I eliminated all other possibilities by doing this.

I don't have the enhanced internet, so I have no Spotify issues, although I still get Tunein trying to run whenever I remove the previous source, like my wife's bluetooth phone when she was driving. But this is when wifi is available, so I guess it's not lack of internet. I just wish I could eliminate all sources I don't use.

The more I think about this, the more I think it may never be fully restored to the way it was. Back in the day when album art showed in USB index, favorites, and now playing… it is highly probable that entire USB directory with album art was stored on EMMC. When EMMC was demonstrated a durability flaw in MCU and became a liability, Tesla reduced as much MCU flogging as possible, including USB album art.

other audio sources (streaming, Bluetooth) only require art to be downloaded for now playing and stored for recents or favorites. Not indexed in car’s storage.

rumors I believe to be true indicate Tesla is working on Tidal and other hifi streaming. I understand this priority, having gone to tidal for 99% of my listening…. More CD quality music than I could ever buy and rip.

yes they could “easily” fix USB now playing, favorites and recents. But the index is more work.

and, 90+% of owners don’t use USB. When there are hifi streaming options, that will go even higher, including yours truly.

so, why do half assed fix of a really makeshift 1990s USB code base when the hifi replacement is around the corner?

I don’t like it but I get it, and since I’m not don quiote, I’m wasting my energy rooting for tidal.