Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now cannot access more than 1 USB drive! WTF? why does Tesla do this?
Geez, this is annoying. It's not something I used daily but for trips I added a second drive with my entire music collection on it.

Not sure if this is new or not, but the shuffle is not random within the same session. If I go to all songs, pick a song, skip to next, the sequence is always the same based on the starting song. If I switch to another source, FM, and then back, the sequence changes.

Last edited:
Same here. I played two different songs and the album art changed. In the Album view, songs seem to be sorted by the Artist tag and not the Album Artist tag. In the Folder view songs definitely go by file name. I wish the album view played songs by the Track tag -that would make more sense.

Here's a thread with more info about how the Tesla (mis)interprets the metadata. USB music - folder structure? "Embedded" cover art?. I'm sure there are many others here on TMC, too.

Not sure if this is new or not, but the shuffle is not random within the same session.
Sounds like typical coding for generating a random list. Only do it once when the source is selected to make sure that nothing is repeated. I've noticed that when shuffle is enabled and I change over the source to USB, the first track that plays is always Abacab by Genesis. After that, the songs differ.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Trying to catch up on this thread.

A semi-related (structure) question for the group:
Is there not a way to copy my iTunes library and my iTunes Playlists onto a USB in a way that my M3 will read it, without having duplicate files on my USB? From what I've gathered so far, I can copy over "Song A" into a base/root music folder, but if I copy over a playlist that has "Song A" on it, then that will actually be a duplicate of the song on the USB?

The reason this matters is I have a library of 4000+ FLAC files (+ a couple thousand MP3s). I also have a few dozen playlists. I'd love to have all of this at my disposal in my M3, but that would be a LOT of duplicates when I bring over the full library AND all of the playlists.

I now cannot access more than 1 USB drive! WTF?
Yeah: I discovered that today. Nt happy about.
I guess it was fortuitous that my 2021.44.6 update last week failed (twice). I was then given the option of installing 2021.36.5.1, which I've so far declined.
2021.44.6 would have been okay - that was just a pre-cursor to 2021.44.25.X. The .25 is what gives you V11
Sounds like typical coding for generating a random list. Only do it once when the source is selected to make sure that nothing is repeated. I've noticed that when shuffle is enabled and I change over the source to USB, the first track that plays is always Abacab by Genesis. After that, the songs differ.
My 2013 Taurus (with software written in the late aughts) kept track of where I left off on my random playback regardless of what I did (including going to any other source). It kept the same sequence for a couple of years.
Is there not a way to copy my iTunes library and my iTunes Playlists onto a USB in a way that my M3 will read it, without having duplicate files on my USB?
Short answer: no.

I haven't tested to see you can use shortcuts, but that would still be a lot of work.

Reactions: bbeashore21
Trying to catch up on this thread.

A semi-related (structure) question for the group:
Is there not a way to copy my iTunes library and my iTunes Playlists onto a USB in a way that my M3 will read it, without having duplicate files on my USB? From what I've gathered so far, I can copy over "Song A" into a base/root music folder, but if I copy over a playlist that has "Song A" on it, then that will actually be a duplicate of the song on the USB?

The reason this matters is I have a library of 4000+ FLAC files (+ a couple thousand MP3s). I also have a few dozen playlists. I'd love to have all of this at my disposal in my M3, but that would be a LOT of duplicates when I bring over the full library AND all of the playlists.
I have never copied over playlists, as I just copy over about 1000 songs at a time and just play them alphabetically, then switch them up when I finish the list, BUT you can create another playlist with all of the songs that are not in the other playlists, and just move the playlists to the USB stick. This way there are no duplicates.

Does the Tesla support any kind of playlist on USB? I'm not really a playlist person, so have never tried it. But if it works then it's probably a decent way to hack together an ability to play all songs by an artist. For some reason I was under the impression that playlists are ignored, but I have no idea why I thought that.

Sorry, I should have googled first. Bazillions of responses saying no playlist support and proposing hackery around it.

Does the Tesla support any kind of playlist on USB? I'm not really a playlist person, so have never tried it. But if it works then it's probably a decent way to hack together an ability to play all songs by an artist. For some reason I was under the impression that playlists are ignored, but I have no idea why I thought that.

Sorry, I should have googled first. Bazillions of responses saying no playlist support and proposing hackery around it.
You can always have folders (and embedded folders). I have 14,000 tracks on my drive and I needed some level of organization.

In the root folder, I have four folders sorted to the top by naming them starting with "a1 ", "a2 ", etc (using numbers at the beginning forces them to the bottom). The rest of the root folders are artist folders for those whom I have multiple albums (and each album is a separate folder within the artist folder).

The four folders at the top are two groups of albums, one folder for "singles" and one for demo tracks (that's a separate story).

I have not tested how many embedded folders deep you can go but I suspect it is limited by the 256 character file name limit.

I created this setup manually from iTunes by exporting the albums one at a time and convert from Apple Lossless to FLAC before putting on my USB. I use xACT for the conversion so all the metadata and art remains intact. It really isn't that difficult to do and I was able to do it all while watching TV at home.

You can easily set up a similar scheme to accommodate your needs.

Well that didn't work. I "un-enlisted" from FSD beta that same day, (11/30), and I'm still on 2021.32.22. Now I'm not only anxious to get my album art, I want my little holiday light show for my 2018 LR RWD Model 3! (2021.44?)
Eureka! When I saw on TeslaFi's Firmware Tracker that just about everyone had one of the 2021.44 updates I put in a service request for my Model 3 via the app. All my research had indicated this would do no good, that I just needed to be patient. I scheduled a mobile appointment for January 3rd.

A guy named Scott sent me a message stating he had initiated a software update and it was currently being downloaded to my car. I checked the app and it showed it was ready for update. Then my wife spotted an owl in the back yard so I couldn't deal with the car, I had to go take some pictures of the owl. Here's one of them:

1640873350846.jpeg

I got sidetracked by other things, including dinner, and by the time I could check on the software update it was dark. I told my wife I was going down to the garage to make sure the car was connected to the WiFi. I was surprised that the update had the ".25" in it indicating that it was the Holiday update since I thought another update was a pre-requisite. My only mission now was getting the light show to play. I read the instructions for that and then called my wife to come down to help me with a problem. She came down into a pitch black gararge except for the light in my car. Then I figured out that I had to get out of the car and close the door for the light show to begin. I did that and my wife was still asking me what the problem was and what I needed her to do.....and then the show began. Needless to say it was a huge, huge hit! Even more exciting than the "Emissions Testing Mode" update!

I figured Scott was a robot or a simulation, but it turns out he's a real person in South Carolina with 2 Teslas! I thanked him profusely and he is going to relay my appreciation to Elon and the team.

Okay, this thread is about album art, not owls or Holiday shows. My album art is back after being gone for over a year. I don't know why it is smaller than it used to be, BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

Happy New Year to all of you!

Not sure if this is new or not, but the shuffle is not random within the same session. If I go to all songs, pick a song, skip to next, the sequence is always the same based on the starting song. If I switch to another source, FM, and then back, the sequence changes.

You do not need to change sources to re-shuffle the deck: Just tap the shuffle icon to turn it off, then tap it again to turn it back on, which re-shuffles the deck.

To be honest, I like this. I think they're taking the songs to randomize and producing a shuffled deck that you can navigate through. If you want to go back and play the previous track you can, using the left thumbwheel. If your passenger asks what that song "a few back" was, you can click the thumbwheel back a few to find it, including going forward again if you overshoot.

Is that a scenario that I use daily? No, of course not. But I think it's more useful that if a random song was chosen every time which left me with no deck to navigate.

Eureka! When I saw on TeslaFi's Firmware Tracker that just about everyone had one of the 2021.44 updates I put in a service request for my Model 3 via the app. All my research had indicated this would do no good, that I just needed to be patient. I scheduled a mobile appointment for January 3rd.

A guy named Scott sent me a message stating he had initiated a software update and it was currently being downloaded to my car. I checked the app and it showed it was ready for update. Then my wife spotted an owl in the back yard so I couldn't deal with the car, I had to go take some pictures of the owl. Here's one of them:

View attachment 749973

We had a huge owl in our backyard several months ago, took a few pics - yes, I know this is derailing the thread :D

DSC_0037_1200.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JimS and byeLT4
We had a huge owl in our backyard several months ago, took a few pics - yes, I know this is derailing the thread :D

View attachment 752272
What beautiful animals they are. I was amazed at how close our owl allowed me to get, just looking down at me taking his/her picture. It looks like your owl has two healthy eyes. Ours clearly had an injury to the right eye. Okay, now for something on topic: I'm still enjoying the album art! Also, just discovered the blind spot image when the blinker is on. That is a huge improvement and very helpful in a merging situation I face just about every day coming home from the supermarket.

(moderator note)

I wanted to acknowledge that, yes, the owl pictures are off topic, but they are beautiful pictures so I am going to leave them here.

I am hopeful that doesnt turn this thread into one about nature (lol), but wanted to acknowledge that while they are off topic, its pretty light hearted (and whenever I see owls, I picture them with glasses on, dispensing wisdom, haha.)