Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or rather "fix", it seems to be janky. A couple of MP3s get the cover art, others don't (and the previous cover art seems "stuck"). Is there a way to force a complete re-index? Maybe just change the content and the system will rescan?

When I have some time I'll review the cover art in the files themselves, see what's present, spec, etc.

OK, it's not stuck, it's just showing the last cover art it was able to display. I have 2 files out of several that work, the others don't change the art of they can't display any art.

So what about those two files: one is an MP3 one is an M4A, both had cover art < 500x500 - and one had PNG while the other had JPG - the other files have 500x500.

But no, it's not that, I opened the one that was working and a 3rd one that wasn't and used Picard to update the art on both, and the 3rd file is now working (and the other one I changed continues to work (so 3 total working) and the new Picard supplied artwork is 500x500, so it's must be some kind of offset spec for the actual image maybe?

This is like < 5 minutes of debugging, when I can some extended time, I'll plink around more :)

Reactions: FalconFour
@TunaBug

I finally got the update last night! In fact, I went from 36.8 to 44.6 so I got several nice improvements over the just the USB cover art fix.

Or rather "fix", it seems to be janky. A couple of MP3s get the cover art, others don't (and the previous cover art seems "stuck"). Is there a way to force a complete re-index? Maybe just change the content and the system will rescan?

When I have some time I'll review the cover art in the files themselves, see what's present, spec, etc.

I saw your next post that it's not an indexing thing, but to answer the question anyhow (i.e. "Is there a way to force a complete re-index?")...

On the USB drive that I plug into the Tesla for music, I have a top level directory called Music1. All of the music is inside that, organized into subdirectories however I like.

To force a full reindexing, rename that top level directory. E.g. Change it from "Music1" to "Music2". As far as the indexer is concerned, you just deleted all the old files, then added a bunch of new files which need to be scanned.

This was not my idea. I read of this method somewhere, likely here on TMC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
OK, it's not stuck, it's just showing the last cover art it was able to display. I have 2 files out of several that work, the others don't change the art of they can't display any art.

So what about those two files: one is an MP3 one is an M4A, both had cover art < 500x500 - and one had PNG while the other had JPG - the other files have 500x500.

But no, it's not that, I opened the one that was working and a 3rd one that wasn't and used Picard to update the art on both, and the 3rd file is now working (and the other one I changed continues to work (so 3 total working) and the new Picard supplied artwork is 500x500, so it's must be some kind of offset spec for the actual image maybe?

This is like < 5 minutes of debugging, when I can some extended time, I'll plink around more :)

No rush, but I'm at least one other guy who will be interested in what you find out regarding optimal art location in files.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
@TunaBug

I finally got the update last night! In fact, I went from 36.8 to 44.6 so I got several nice improvements over the just the USB cover art fix.

I have art embedded in all but a few of the 13,000 tracks on my drive and every one of them shows when playing. I know it is my embedded art as sometimes use the single art for a track from a compilation album.

I just started the 2021.44.6 update on my car. It's been over a year since I've installed one; currently on 2020.40.8. All of the album art has been working perfectly for my USB collection. Spotify sometimes takes a couple of seconds to load the art, but they appear to be correct. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning....

OK, anyone with the update able to test this for sure?

- edit tags on a handful of files from different albums, each with album art, to have the exact same artist/album
- play that new pseudo-album (it should appear in album view as one album, with all the affected tracks) and see if the art changes per-song

Given the issue with album art "sticking" if the next track doesn't have art, this lends well to the theory that it's (finally) no longer album-level paired, and they really did simply read it from the file that's playing. Huge, if true.

Also, I really really hope this sticks with the holiday update (UI refresh). I don't suspect anyone can confirm that yet, but have heard it's rolled out to a few people.

Hopefully I find out myself tomorrow! 😁 Maximum hype for the update, but having FSD Beta might leave me delayed again as usual (still on *.36.x myself).

I have art embedded in all but a few of the 13,000 tracks on my drive and every one of them shows when playing. I know it is my embedded art as sometimes use the single art for a track from a compilation album.

That's a good data point, so I'm assuming you added the tags/art to the files manually (see below).

It looks like Picard meta-tagged (including album art) works as expected, but iTunes songs that are matched in iTunes Match, removed from a local download and re-downloaded do not have compatible artwork (not sure if a file is __not__ matched, but just stored, has working art, but that's a tiny number of songs and kind of an edge case ...)

The above no-art-in-iTunes includes downloads as native format (M4A) and downloaded files exported (through iTunes) as MP3.

This morning I drug the entire contents of my flash drive into Picard (vs. just a few test files), let it chug through and "re-tag" every file, and sure enough, everything has artwork as expected.

Last edited:
That's a good data point, so I'm assuming you added the tags/art to the files manually (see below).
I'm not sure what specific parts to respond to, so I will just say this:

Yes, I have manually added the artwork as music is added to my iTunes library. I didn't suddenly dump 32,264 tracks in there one day: it has been building for many years ( I have been in the Apple ecosystem since about 1988, though obviously music didn't come in until later). For the last few years, I have been ripping to Apple Lossless, adding the art at that time (so I can control which specific art is used) and then for moving tracks to my car's flash drive, I need to convert to FLAC and I use xACT. The art remains intact, so the conversion is a simple and quick.

This isn't perfect as there are some albums where when I RIPed into iTunes and then converted to FLAC, the playback has about the first half second chopped off of each track. For those instances, I use XLD to RIP straight to FLAC and then use xACT to add the art and clean up the metadata.

I'm not sure what specific parts to respond to, so I will just say this:

Yes, I have manually added the artwork as music is added to my iTunes library. I didn't suddenly dump 32,264 tracks in there one day: it has been building for many years ( I have been in the Apple ecosystem since about 1988, though obviously music didn't come in until later). For the last few years, I have been ripping to Apple Lossless, adding the art at that time (so I can control which specific art is used) and then for moving tracks to my car's flash drive, I need to convert to FLAC and I use xACT. The art remains intact, so the conversion is a simple and quick.

This isn't perfect as there are some albums where when I RIPed into iTunes and then converted to FLAC, the playback has about the first half second chopped off of each track. For those instances, I use XLD to RIP straight to FLAC and then use xACT to add the art and clean up the metadata.

one day was definetly possible in my university where itunes would automatically compile all tracks on the network from all other 21000 students via network and you could just copy and you could just CTRL+C CNTRL+V haha. One of my friends did that and split them on 2 harddrives back then - there were some real bootleg gems in there.

I have collected most of my tracks manually but I have around 11000 since 2006ish.

Replying to myself. I meant 2021.40.6. Its also ogg/vorbis audio files that its not displaying album for. I have about 1/3 of my library (5700 out of 17.3K tracks) as ogg/vorbis and I spent the weekend replacing the vast majority of them with flac. Things are in much better shape now.
I updated to 44.6 today and I'm seeing the same, no album art on my Vorbis files. I'll probably replace them with FLAC's from my original rips.

So you think that if I “un-enlist” for FSD beta I might get 2021.40 update? I think some people are doing that just to get a fresh start on their Safety Score so I might try it.
Well that didn't work. I "un-enlisted" from FSD beta that same day, (11/30), and I'm still on 2021.32.22. Now I'm not only anxious to get my album art, I want my little holiday light show for my 2018 LR RWD Model 3! (2021.44?)