Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB ports and controller questions for Model H’Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
just tried to plug the controllers I had in my Model 3 in the USB ports of my brand new Model Y and realized they are not compatible.

have someone found a cheap adaptor option?

also is there an option to plug my 256 Gb USB stick I was using in my Model 3 somewhere in the Carle do K have to order a USB-C one?

thanks

Reactions: Gadget63
re USB stick, all depends on purpose. If just for sentry recordings then new MY has a USB A port in the glove box and it comes with a USB stick already installed for that purpose. If you want to replace it, then go ahead. However if you are asking because you want to add another stick for music or whatever, then there are 2 more USB ports in the center console. Not easy to see when seated. Need to look towards the back of that opening with a light to see them apparently, I have older console so not much help there. There are other posts on here about that, not sure the owner's manual has been updated to show this or not.

I have this USB adapter: Amazon.com: KIKIMO USB C to USB Adapter Fit for Tesla Model 3/Y/S/X, Tesla Model 3/Y Accessories, USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter, Fit for Most Electronic Equipment: Electronics

The KIKIMO USB adapter description states that the adapter supports data however I was unable to read a USB-A drive from the rear USB-C ports in my Model Y. I am able to charge my iPhone using an Apple Lightning cable and the adapter from the rear USB-C ports.

The USB-A data port inside the glove box (on the left side) is for the Dashcam/Sentry Mode USB storage device. Your current 256GB USB memory stick should work but first let the Model Y reformat the device using exFAT file system. The Tesla software automatically creates the needed /Dashcam folder on the device.

I have this USB adapter: Amazon.com: KIKIMO USB C to USB Adapter Fit for Tesla Model 3/Y/S/X, Tesla Model 3/Y Accessories, USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter, Fit for Most Electronic Equipment: Electronics

The KIKIMO USB adapter description states that the adapter supports data however I was unable to read a USB-A drive from the rear USB-C ports in my Model Y. I am able to charge my iPhone using an Apple Lightning cable and the adapter from the rear USB-C ports.

The USB-A data port inside the glove box (on the left side) is for the Dashcam/Sentry Mode USB storage device. Your current 256GB USB memory stick should work but first let the Model Y reformat the device using exFAT file system. The Tesla software automatically creates the needed /Dashcam folder on the device.
The USB port that’s in the glovebox is not only for sentry use. I am currently using a 256GB micro SD card that has three partitions, 1 for sentry / dash cam 250GB, another for music 5GB and 1 GB for custom Boombox sounds.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
The USB port that’s in the glovebox is not only for sentry use. I am currently using a 256GB micro SD card that has three partitions, 1 for sentry / dash cam 250GB, another for music 5GB and 1 GB for custom Boombox sounds.
One question, do you have to partition the storage device to be able to store, play music files in addition to storing saved dash cam, Sentry mode recordings?

Reactions: with_raiden
One question, do you have to partition the storage device to be able to store, play music files in addition to storing saved dash cam, Sentry mode recordings?
Pretty sure if only one partition is presented to the car and that partition has the TeslaCam folder on it, then you cannot access that for anything else. Whether that is a separate USB stick with one partition or one of multiple partitions on a single stick probably should not make a difference, but I have not used multiple partition devices in my MY so I cannot verify that claim. I use 2 separate USB sticks, each one only has one partition, KISS principle in effect. The drive that is used for sentry is not seen when selecting a USB drive for music, I assume it is locked when in use for sentry so probably not usable for music. At least that is what I see with my config.

<rant>
One of the problems I have with using multiple partition USB devices for sentry is that you should be using high endurance drives since sentry mode is always writing video, regardless if an event is occurring or not, just so you have the 10 minutes of video prior to the event. If an event does occur, then it preserves those already written files so they do not get overwritten like they would normally when they are not needed. Normal sticks will wear out and fail quicker than a high endurance stick from all this writing. Also, a smaller drive will die quicker than a larger one, assuming wear levelling is in use, since less sectors to spread the load across. So chewing up a portion of that high endurance drive for static files like music does not make a lot of sense to me.

Additionally, removing that drive to update its music content runs the risk of not having a drive for sentry mode saving should something happen while it is removed, or if you forget to put it back in, or if you corrupt it somehow, or it does not auto detect and mount for sentry mode when you re-insert it. Tesla made a software update at some point to store 1 sentry event in the MY internal storage, if you want to rely on that and hope that one capture has everything you need. Otherwise you should always have that stick installed to capture it all.

The price for a dedicated high endurance drive for sentry mode that stays in the MY 24x7 is well worth it in my opinion. Should something ever happen and there is no video evidence, you will most likely end up with an insurance claim and/or paying out of pocket to get it fixed, which will in all likelihood cost a whole lot more than that dedicated drive.
</rant>

• Informative

Yes, you do! I was about to make a video on how to do such thing. I figured I would search YouTube to see if anyone has already created one. Sure enough Alex did, so here's a link to his video (
) I am currently using this high endurance SD card for Sentry mode, Music and Boombox (Amazon.com: SanDisk 256GB MAX Endurance microSDXC Card with Adapter for Home Security Cameras and Dash cams - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQVR-256G-GN6IA: Computers & Accessories)

Please note the following:

1 - I created a folder called Teslacam on the 250 GB partition (named TeslaCam)
2 - I also created a folder called Boombox on the 1 GB partition (named Boombox)
3 - The last partition is named Music.

In the 13 years I have been using partition drives on my Mac, I never had any issues. Heck even Apple does multiple partitions on the single drive that's shipped with all Macs. One for the OS and the other stores encrypted files.

• Informative
I used these adapters to use a USB drive for music in one of the console USB C ports. I have also used one of these for the wireless dongle for my game controller