Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2018 LR vs new 2019 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a bit of back and forth on this question. I'm new to Model 3s but have had an S before. This would be a second car for my wife who is new to driving.

I've tried to educate myself as best I can but I'm afraid of missing something. Newer seats? Premium interior worth it? And so on.

Range is not a big deal since it'll be an occasional use car.

In the same boat. For me, range is most important followed by premium interior, exterior color and finally interior color. I’m looking for a used LR RWD. But I’ll go with a MR or SR+ if I can’t find a LR soon.

I just have to ask the question, why do you believe that range is the most important? IS this your first EV?
Did you know that any Model 3 has a range from one coast to the other coast? If you wanted to go from Seattle to Key West, you could easily do it.

Sure, the extra 100 miles may mean a stop or so less on 500 mile trips, but how often do you do that?

I just have to ask the question, why do you believe that range is the most important? IS this your first EV?
Did you know that any Model 3 has a range from one coast to the other coast? If you wanted to go from Seattle to Key West, you could easily do it.

Sure, the extra 100 miles may mean a stop or so less on 500 mile trips, but how often do you do that?

I’m not certain what exactly I believe yet since i don’t have an EV. However, range//battery size is an important factor to many. I’d expect most could make a SR work but there are some advantages to the LRs. Again, it comes back to cost/value - a subjective combo.

I’m not certain what exactly I believe yet since i don’t have an EV. However, range//battery size is an important factor to many. I’d expect most could make a SR work but there are some advantages to the LRs. Again, it comes back to cost/value - a subjective combo.

Indeed, classic range anxiety. It's a disease easily overcome with travelling in an EV for a few years.

I had an 88 mile Leaf. I'm 45 miles from Atlanta, a round-trip on a single charge just wasn't an option. But there were a few DC Fast chargers located along my route (DC Fast chargers are prevalent in cities) that meant I could easily do the trip, but needed to stop for about 5-10 minutes to add enough to get home.
Then while waiting on my Model 3, we got the 150 mile Leaf. It was quite capable to 200 mile trips or longer. DC Fast chargers, while prevalent in the cities are rarer on the Interstates. But that Leaf will get me all around town and I don't have to worry about charging it while out.

I've got the LR RWD model 3, mainly because I was a Day 1 reservation holder, it was the only thing available. I'll go anywhere in it. (and I have) Sure, it's not the SR+, but I do know that in the LR, I skip a lot of Superchargers. I can generally pick and choose. The SR+ can do the same route, it just doesn't get to skip as many as the LR does.

But how many long trips do you take? I'll probably have at least six 1,000 mile trips by the end of the year. And the same in 500 mile trips.

When most couples buy cars, there generally is a "commuter" car and the "hauler" car (i.e. minivan equivalent). If the Tesla is for the hauler and you are going to take more than 2 long range trips in a year, the LR may be your best bet, otherwise you aren't going to regret the SR+.

Me? On a daily basis? I think that I charged on Friday last and I've still got 200+ showing. That was after a 100 mile trip to the airport and back. And then the last charge was probably the Monday before that after a weekend 500 mile trip.

Reactions: Daniel_6
Not needing extra range isn't an issue until you need it! I'd always prioritize range over other comparative advantages. Better for resale too.

So how much is enough? Is 1,000 miles too much? I'm guessing that your ICE didn't have this much. Is it worth the extra $10k?

(Jeesshh, I wouldn't want to hear the arguments on what's the best charge level for a 1,000 mile battery!!!)

I have SR+. My next car will be a longer range car

1. The max charge rate at a supercharger for SR+ is 102KW compared to twice as much for a longer range RWD or AWD. I do not want 45 min supercharger waits.

2. I get to pick and choose which superchargers I want to stop and which ones to skip with a car with longer range. In my SR with a route that is not as sense with superchargers as CA, I cannot do that easily.

I don't care about premium interior, color or performance.

I have SR+. My next car will be a longer range car

1. The max charge rate at a supercharger for SR+ is 102KW compared to twice as much for a longer range RWD or AWD. I do not want 45 min supercharger waits.

2. I get to pick and choose which superchargers I want to stop and which ones to skip with a car with longer range. In my SR with a route that is not as sense with superchargers as CA, I cannot do that easily.

I don't care about premium interior, color or performance.
You've definitely got a grass is greener on the other side issue. I'm not getting 200kW at a Supercharger. I'm sitting at Superchargers for 45+ minutes.
Superchargers numbers are growing, so the problem gets lesser and if it's a big issue for you, CHAdeMO is an option, although those are really slow.

Can't remember during the last 6+ years and with 3 Teslas (2 left) when I last charged max at a Supercharger while travelling. It always goes faster at the lower charge levels and charged enough (plus buffer) to get to the next charger.

Yeah, anxiety was there - till after first road trip.

But, remember - there will always be a greater capacity (shortly in the future) than what you get.

Well I just reserved a white 2019 LR RWD with 330 miles at $44k. Pretty late serial...maybe close to the last of the RWD LR (?). Seems a bit of a stretch on price since it’s used but who knows when or if they’ll be available at the fire sale prices again...

Hmmm.

Reactions: Country Roads
My wife has an LR (range 325). I have an S 75D (range 250). The extra range on the LR is fabulous -- we use her car for road trips. I would buy used to get the range of the LR if the price is at all similar. That is, if you take road trips.
If this is just a work commuter, buy the least expensive you can get. I only plug my car in about once every 4 or 5 days, and that's kinda overkill. The range on the SR+ will be plenty.

• Helpful
Thanks for all the responses. Range will not be an issue, it'll be a second car to a likely 100 battery. I'm more concerned about the premium interior, sound, other little goodies that you don't get with the SR+. Anything that would sway anyone based on those combined with the bonus of extra range?

I’m very happy with my LR RWD, which I bought new right before they discontinued. Just did a road trip this weekend (and you will want to do road trips in this car) and the extra range really did help. Only had to supercharge once for about 20 minutes (and supercharging is FAST with the bigger battery, I always have to rush back to the car ha). Plus got the premium interior, speed, etc.

When I bought, my rationale was that if you’re going to spend upwards of $35K for a car you might as well go big or go home, within reason (so for me the LR RWD was the sweet spot, since I really couldn’t justify the AWD or performance version). I might have considered the SR+ if they hadn’t downgraded the sound, maps, if the charging speed had been faster, etc. I also figured the LR RWD would hold its resale value better as well.

That said, I wouldn’t stretch your budget (if it is a stretch) just for a car.

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28