Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used car warranty gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my MX last year I was told by the SC that I had a used car warranty of 4 years 50k miles from the time I picked up the car. Made an appointment and was told I was out of warranty. Went to Tesla’s site and noticed used car warranty is now 1 year and 10k miles for used vehicles. Can they remove a warranty that was on the car?

Yikes! You’ve got me a little concerned. I bought my 2017 Model X 100D in May of this year with the same understanding: 4 yr/50k mi warranty. I just pulled my paperwork out and there is nothing mentioned about the warranty anywhere on it. They can’t do that, can they???

Yikes! You’ve got me a little concerned. I bought my 2017 Model X 100D in May of this year with the same understanding: 4 yr/50k mi warranty. I just pulled my paperwork out and there is nothing mentioned about the warranty anywhere on it. They can’t do that, can they???
I just went to the Tesla website, found the chat option and asked about my warranty. After supplying my VIN to them, they verified my warranty as “4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first”; which was my understanding when I bought the car. Now I’m second-guessing whether or not the chat person was referring to that period as when I bought the car or when the car was new. I’m roller-coastering my emotions today.

Reactions: scottf200
I just went to the Tesla website, found the chat option and asked about my warranty. After supplying my VIN to them, they verified my warranty as “4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first”; which was my understanding when I bought the car. Now I’m second-guessing whether or not the chat person was referring to that period as when I bought the car or when the car was new. I’m roller-coastering my emotions today.

When I did this yesterday, I was given the expiration. So mine is 4/2024 or 91250 miles. I purchased in April 2020. He copied and pasted it straight from there database.

If you purchased last year, you should have gotten the 4yr/50,000 mi.

When I purchased my MX last year I was told by the SC that I had a used car warranty of 4 years 50k miles from the time I picked up the car. Made an appointment and was told I was out of warranty. Went to Tesla’s site and noticed used car warranty is now 1 year and 10k miles for used vehicles. Can they remove a warranty that was on the car?
If the vehicle was less than four years old and less than 50k miles, the warranty in place under the old plan was 4 years/50k additional miles. If you are having issues, have your local Service Center reach out to Remarketing Department for correction. Tesla would never retroactively cancel a warranty, that is both illegal and very bad business.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH and scottf200
This is a classic instance of Tesla trying to screw its customers.

You are owed the warranty that was in place at the time of purchase. They cannot retroactively remove it. They tried this same crap with unlimited free data and supercharging on older vehicles.

If they try, send a demand letter from your attorney and see how fast they change their tune.

On my written purchase agreement when I bought my used 2016 MX in Feb of this year, its says in plain English "4 years/50,000 miles warranty." They have honored that for me as recent as today. If you have it in writing on your MVPA, then you're good. If they say no, you can take it to arbitration and you'll definitely win. If not in writing, then all bets are off.

• Helpful
If the vehicle was less than four years old and less than 50k miles, the warranty in place under the old plan was 4 years/50k additional miles. If you are having issues, have your local Service Center reach out to Remarketing Department for correction. Tesla would never retroactively cancel a warranty, that is both illegal and very bad business.
You are incorrect. We had chronic issues and fights with our local service center and their absolute unwillingness to reach out to this "Remarketing Department" that you are referring to. Tesla did indeed retroactively cancel our warranty - under the auspices that our vehicle was purchased from a 3rd party dealer, not from a private owner, and was thus no longer covered by the extended warranty. Here's the problem. While this is a CURRENT exclusion in regards to Tesla's extended warranty (and that's entirely their right - though it's customer unfriendly as usual), it was NOT an exclusion on the exact date of our used Tesla purchase.

For the purposes of this forum, I don't want to write a novel going through every level of communication and frustration that we have experienced.

But for honesty and accountability - this is flat wrong - and you are doing a dis-service suggesting otherwise.

You are incorrect. We had chronic issues and fights with our local service center and their absolute unwillingness to reach out to this "Remarketing Department" that you are referring to. Tesla did indeed retroactively cancel our warranty - under the auspices that our vehicle was purchased from a 3rd party dealer, not from a private owner, and was thus no longer covered by the extended warranty. Here's the problem. While this is a CURRENT exclusion in regards to Tesla's extended warranty (and that's entirely their right - though it's customer unfriendly as usual), it was NOT an exclusion on the exact date of our used Tesla purchase.

For the purposes of this forum, I don't want to write a novel going through every level of communication and frustration that we have experienced.

But for honesty and accountability - this is flat wrong - and you are doing a dis-service suggesting otherwise.
You are correct, the Used Vehicle Warranty only applies to the vehicle purchased directly from Tesla. If you buy from a third party you are not covered. My apologies for the omission of this scenario, and sorry to hear you had such an experience with Tesla.

You are correct, the Used Vehicle Warranty only applies to the vehicle purchased directly from Tesla. If you buy from a third party you are not covered. My apologies for the omission of this scenario, and sorry to hear you had such an experience with Tesla.
Thanks for the correction. The irony of the situation, because of the games Tesla played with our warranty, I believe my wife checked in to your 3rd party extended care program some time ago. It wasn't the best for us, but it certainly seems like a potentially smart program for plenty of older model Tesla owners.

Thanks for the correction. The irony of the situation, because of the games Tesla played with our warranty, I believe my wife checked in to your 3rd party extended care program some time ago. It wasn't the best for us, but it certainly seems like a potentially smart program for plenty of older model Tesla owners.
Yes, we're definitely a great option to the standard ESA, even for people who qualify. Our deductible is lower, we cover stuff Tesla considers wear items (door handles, etc) and even have towing for running out of juice. Totally here for you if we can help!

On my written purchase agreement when I bought my used 2016 MX in Feb of this year, its says in plain English "4 years/50,000 miles warranty." They have honored that for me as recent as today. If you have it in writing on your MVPA, then you're good. If they say no, you can take it to arbitration and you'll definitely win. If not in writing, then all bets are off.
There is no such language on my MVPA from May of this year. Did you insist on Tesla putting it on there or was it just automatically printed? My MVPA doesn’t have any extra room for such a listing.

When I did this yesterday, I was given the expiration. So mine is 4/2024 or 91250 miles. I purchased in April 2020. He copied and pasted it straight from there database.

If you purchased last year, you should have gotten the 4yr/50,000 mi.
Kentucky3, I'd do the chat again and get the (future 4 yr date) MM/YYYY and (future 50K nbr) ##### miles like Stin121 did.

There is no such language on my MVPA from May of this year. Did you insist on Tesla putting it on there or was it just automatically printed? My MVPA doesn’t have any extra room for such a listing.

It was automatic. I didn't have to request it. Everything that I read when doing my research on the Tesla used car website was reflected as expected on my MVPA. I bought a car that had all the options that it could have based on the birth date of the car, and all those options were listed specifically on the MVPA to include the warranty, premium connectivity, and free supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: XCare EV
It was automatic. I didn't have to request it. Everything that I read when doing my research on the Tesla used car website was reflected as expected on my MVPA. I bought a car that had all the options that it could have based on the birth date of the car, and all those options were listed specifically on the MVPA to include the warranty, premium connectivity, and free supercharging.
Very nice. Wish they would standardize this so everyone gets the same MVPA. Like you, I received free supercharging with mine and the old, great, warranty. None of this shows up on my MVPA or the Monroney sticker they included with the docs. Thankfully, though, I happened to catch a screen shot of my car’s options from the website right before I placed the order. It captures the options but you can’t see the warranty. Since Tesla has confirmed my warranty with me, I’m good to go now and confident they’ll honor it through to the end.

Just looked at the Used Inventory website and read the warranty section. Interesting how the conditions have changed since earlier this year when I bought my car. Not sure when that changed. When I bought mine, all the cars that had less than 50K miles were advertised as coming with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. Not anymore it seems. Now buyers of used cars only have until the car's odometer hits 60,000 (or until one year elapses after the car hits 50,000, whichever is sooner), whereas I'm getting 50,000 on top of the 47K that were on the car when I bought it, or 4 years from my purchase date, whichever is sooner.

Just looked at the Used Inventory website and read the warranty section. Interesting how the conditions have changed since earlier this year when I bought my car. Not sure when that changed. When I bought mine, all the cars that had less than 50K miles were advertised as coming with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. Not anymore it seems. Now buyers of used cars only have until the car's odometer hits 60,000 (or until one year elapses after the car hits 50,000, whichever is sooner), whereas I'm getting 50,000 on top of the 47K that were on the car when I bought it, or 4 years from my purchase date, whichever is sooner.
And now you pay a $500 non-refundable deposit PLUS shipping, if any, up front.