Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used market has really taken a hit [All discussion of Model 3 Resale value]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

With the price drop in Model Y's, it's surely been tempting for me to trade-in / sell my 2020 M3 for a new MY - I could use the room. What I'm afraid of is that the value of my M3 most likely took a hit as well.. ending up in a big loss overall. Curious to know if anyone here on the forum is contemplating the same thing or pulled the trigger on it. Should I expect a big loss if I do?

Thanks!
If you can find someone with more cents than sense then you might be able to make a private party sale work. Otherwise dealerships have taken such HUGE losses on Tesla vehicles that they pretty much just won’t buy them at all now.

We are all pretty much stuck with these cars until production slows down or Musk changes the price back up again.

It is pretty amazing how much the used prices have tanked. My 2018 P3D+ w/ FSD with 46k miles was totaled in June and I got $58k from insurance. I can get a used 2020 P3D+ w/FSD from Tesla right now for $45k with 30k miles and an additional year of warranty. What are you gonna do though? The market has changed and a brand new P3D+ w/o FSD appears to be around $47k after the tax credit so the days of inflated used Tesla prices are likely over... we all knew it was a bubble it was just hard to know when it would pop.

Vroom offered me $33k for my 2022 Model 3 Performance with 13k miles the day the prices dropped. Now they won’t even buy Tesla vehicles at all.

View attachment 899671

Carvana still gave me an offer but it is still really low at $38k.

View attachment 899672

I had an offer of $66k for the same car just 6 months ago.

The used values of Tesla vehicles has been OBLITERATED by the recent price reductions.
$37900 isn’t great but I entered info for 2022 M3LR with 5k miles and the price offer was $31k. 😱😳.

Sellers on Autotrader still listing $46-53k for 2020-2022 M3LR 🤷‍♂️

What a disconnect!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
We all just need to hang in there for a while. If you sell right now you are going to get absolute bottom dollar for your car, and rightfully so because why buy someone's used M3 when you can get a brand new one for the same price.

Just wait for these incentives to dry up, and for the price of gasoline to go up like it always does and the used car market will stabilize.

Just out of curiosity, I asked for some quotes to sell my 2020 LR AWD with 80K miles on it.
Just last month, Carmax offered $26.5K. Today, Carvana offered $19K. Driveway laughingly offered $6k. Carmax would not appraise it at this time "due to volatility in the Tesla market." Vroom also will not provide an offer due to "market conditions".

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
So I’ve been thinking about a M3 for a while, especially with the price cuts and tax incentive. Was thinking new, but not opposed to buying used. I found a used 2022 M3LR white with black interior with 6500 miles they are listing for $47,500 which they aren’t getting. What are yall’s thoughts on what a fair price would be? $42,000?

I know you can’t order these now, but they pop up on Tesla inventory pretty regularly. This configuration would be $50k and then a $7500 tax credit which I would realize in about a year. Just wonder real word what these are selling for from a dealer.

Do you think this will scare people away from buying ?
A car is our second largest purchase and residual value is an element of the purchase decision.
Demand should drop significant if one think it through clearly and not emotionally.
New M3 standard plus is $42,999 + destination charge $1,350 - $7500 Fed rebate - xxx state rebate…….$36,849 not count8ng state rebate. Why would anyone pay more than that for a used M3 ?

Reactions: Brou and ngng
So I’ve been thinking about a M3 for a while, especially with the price cuts and tax incentive. Was thinking new, but not opposed to buying used. I found a used 2022 M3LR white with black interior with 6500 miles they are listing for $47,500 which they aren’t getting. What are yall’s thoughts on what a fair price would be? $42,000?

I know you can’t order these now, but they pop up on Tesla inventory pretty regularly. This configuration would be $50k and then a $7500 tax credit which I would realize in about a year. Just wonder real word what these are selling for from a dealer.
If you are eligible for Fed rebate and state EV rebate why would you buy a used M3LR rather than just get a new one at the same price?
inventory M3LR $49,990+$1350 destination charge=$51,250.-$7500= $43750- $xxxx for state rebate.

IMO, used M3LR should be under $40k for you to consider. Otherwise, buy the new one.

I forgot about factoring in the $1350 destination charge. No state rebates in Texas that I am aware of. On a new Tesla, you do get $7500 back (and I do pay in excess of this every year in taxes) but have to wait a year for that. $35,000 is it. Lol.

2023 White interior, blue exterior Model 3 RWD with 3990 miles was valued at $28k-$31k. I don't expect to be trading it in for quite some time. Though as with any technology that becomes more widely adopted, I expected prices to continue to go down. The "bubble" we got with the used car market previously was just a perfect storm of events. This same aspect of technology could be applied to first LED TV to now LED TV prices and so on.

Just out of curiosity, I asked for some quotes to sell my 2020 LR AWD with 80K miles on it.
Just last month, Carmax offered $26.5K. Today, Carvana offered $19K. Driveway laughingly offered $6k. Carmax would not appraise it at this time "due to volatility in the Tesla market." Vroom also will not provide an offer due to "market conditions".
I traded in my '20 M3P to Tesla in late December for $38K. At that time, Carmax offered me $34K and told me their offer would be trash because they send all 3/S/X straight to the auctions, only Y's go on their retail lot. I knew then that the oversupply problem had started, and hit warp-speed the day that new-vehicle price cuts were announced in Jan.

Hi all,

Looking to add another Tesla to my garage. Thinking about a Model 3 Performance. With the price drops lately, what are you seeing as a logical price for a low-mile 21/22 M3P, black with white interior? I've been seeing prices all over the place, surely I know my '22 MYP value has tanked...

Nonetheless, curious to hear opinions on it.

Last edited by a moderator: