Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have my Model 3 reservation and the plan is to chech out used model S pricing when my number is close to being ccalled and then decide which way to go. I have two little kids and a big dog. The S would fit us better especially with the trunk seats.

Is there any warranty support for a CPO Tesla? I think not having a warranty would be the biggest negative in going used.

How is the S holding up?

Thoughts, advice?

Thanks in advance:)

CPO models come with a 4 year- 50k mile warranty as well as the remainder of the 8 year unlimited mile drive train warranty
Once the 4/50 warranty runs out that'll be that, no extended warranties are offered for CPO vehicles as far as I know.

A CPO Model S has been ours since October 2015. BellaBlue was 2 years old at the time and had only 15K miles on her. Tesla restored her to brand new condition inside, outside and under the hood. Our local service center has treated us like we were owners of a new car, even loaning us a brand new P85D during service. This is easily the best car we have ever owned. If you can find a used CPO Model S that fits your budget and wishlist, you should definitely go for it.

Question. Are you guys finding lots of issues with the cars that are warranting the longer warranties?

From all of the CPO talk it looks like this is not a car to own once out of warranty?

Or are they small issues that need attention? And it is convenient to have the warranty?

I just bought a non CPO car with about 18 mos of warranty left. Want to make sure I do the right thing when the warranty is up. If they are not reliable I'll dump it then.

I bought a private party P85 about 8 weeks ago and am loving it so far.

Look up my post history if you're really interested. But, I have a service appointment tomorrow to take care of the annual service but also look into a laundry list of things I've noticed over the last 8 weeks. I think this car is amazing, but I've probably read so much over the years I was looking to buy, that I probably stumbled over many of these issues mentioned in various threads - which is probably why I found so many so quickly.

It will be interesting to see how my first warranty/service experience goes.

A lot of my issues are annoying things, but probably not (at the moment at least) causing functional problems. Squeaky/clanky brake pedal, loud/screechy fans, dash rattles, shuddery sunroof, drive unit seems noisier (although the DU would be covered under drive train warranty anyway as I understand). So what kind of owner are you? I'm the type who likes everything to be up to snuff in my cars. I hate driving around with a rear heat seater that doesn't work, even though nobody ever uses it, for example. When your car is under warranty, you can just take it in and say fix *everything*. When you're out of warranty, you're always doing the math and going, hmm, how much is that going to cost to fix? How much do I care? How much longer will I own the car? Should I just leave it? Etc

So, it's my personal view that the warranty is well worth it. I got a private party that was barely above trade in, which was a great deal. I had the previous owner add the 4yr ESA. Now I have 5.25yrs and 67k miles of bumper to bumper warranty. Couldn't be happier to know almost exactly how much this car will cost to drive over the next 5 years.

Also consider the difference between owning a car out of warranty and trying to sell a car that's out of warranty. I plan to sell this car with a little warranty left, at which point I really believe I'll recoup at least $1k of the warranty price in a higher sell price.