Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can we "handle simple math" if you didnt provide us with the simple details of said math?

Ice engines fail but do people still buy those cars? Is there some secret list somewhere that lists all of the batteries that have failed? Why try and scare someone from buying a used tesla? Its still a used car and all used cars can have issues and those issues are not just reserved for tesla.
You cannot figure out that 2021 (next year) minus 8 year battery warranty = 2013 model year?

Sorry bro, can’t help you.

The average ICE engine failure does not cost $23,000 to correct. So again...numbers...not a strong suit.

• Disagree
Reactions: PWlakewood
You never provided any numbers in your original posts so yeah bro.....good one.....so brains isnt your strong suit
Were still not sure why you even mentioned 2013! Put the pipe down before responding next time;)
I did provide numbers. A battery is $23,000.

I mention 2013 because those are the first vehicles exiting the warranty phase next year.

What don’t you understand about that?

I suggest we forget talking about something completely irrelevant

The OP is looking at 2016 - they battery and warranty still has 4 miles to run, lots or people change their car within 4 years so out of warranty on these items may not occur during their ownership of the car, battery prices and aftermarket rebuild options will steadily increase as the market develops as much older cars do drop out of warranty so the prices are almost certainly going to fall.

The key warranty matters for the OP are:
- MCU screen which can be addressed aftermarket for around $500
- Door handles which cost $50 in parts for the cog and wiring loom and a bit of labour to fit
- Suspension can be a problem but not really any different to any other car
- Heaters can fail, Tesla have dropped the replacement price to under $1000 but the pronlem is more common on the MX
- Drive shafts especially on the P models - not convinced Tesla will continue to replace these under warranty claiming 8 year warranty is motor and not drivetrain - so a few hundred a time
- Most other stuff is like any car, seals, trim, lights etc

Think thats the majority of stuff

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Replacing a battery would be expensive, but so would replacing a whole car with a new one, by a lot more. One could save money by buying a used car, but then that would go against the warning not to buy a used Tesla. Eventually the car itself could be worth less than the cost to fix it so it could be time to dump it. However, I don't understand pre-emptively dumping a car before/after warranty.

If the desire is to get a new car, with new features, that's understandable. I'm curious about the financial angle that some people use.

The point was no Tesla owner has had to pay for a battery out of warranty...yet.
You’re incessantly arguing a point that isn’t even true. A number of early Model S 60 owners with the mileage limited battery warranty are indeed out of warranty at this point and have absolutely paid out of pocket for a replacement. There was a long thread here on that exact topic just a month or two ago.

You’re incessantly arguing a point that isn’t even true. A number of early Model S 60 owners with the mileage limited battery warranty are indeed out of warranty at this point and have absolutely paid out of pocket for a replacement. There was a long thread here on that exact topic just a month or two ago.
Great. So that proves my point.

It’s a cost to consider when buying used. That’s all I was pointing out.