Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Nissan Leaf's so cheap, they are now hard to resist. I bought one just to loan out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bump. I want to let folks know that I have already loaned this car out 4 times, each for several days. In addition I have rented it twice on Turo.com. All borrowers were impressed. Two of them put deposits on Model 3's, another two of them are shopping used EV's aggressively. I have found the Leaf a pleasure to drive so when it is not being used by others, I use it for all my around town needs.

Any of you thinking about doing the same, I am happy to answer any questions.

So the lend outs have covered the purchase price and monthly expenses? Interesting. Might be a more profitable way to take advantage of excess solar sellback energy than NEM.
If you read my posts, I just bought this car 2 months ago. Ultimately, it will have paid for itself. Though not yet. I am not worried about the finances, I just want to offset the trump-effect by having as many people as possible switch to EV.

A few minutes ago I was visited by one of my borrowers of my Leaf. He just bought a 2013 Leaf S. 20k miles, 12 bars battery, quick charge port, only $7,100.

If you are ever in the SW Colorado area, please stop by for a charge, a beer, and a toast !

We can take a ride out to Mesa Verde in my LEAF, or perhaps in a Model 3 :)
Well, I am at First Mesa on the Hopi Rez from time to time. I have friends there. In fact I'll be there in a few weeks but not a lot of extra time to make it over to Colorado. If you are ever out my way, I'll buy you that beer!

Reactions: SageBrush
Yesterday was an event in Thousand Oaks at a high school, where folks could try out EV's. I brought my Leaf and had several takers, a few of which will likely by an EV very soon. DrTaras was there allowing people to drive his Model X. I was able to talk several, at least 6 folks to making Model 3 reservations.

Reactions: abasile
Good Job Gene!

Now why don't you put your Tesla on Turo as well? I've rented mine out 34 times so far, and it's been a great way to get people into a Tesla.

Funny, as I've considered getting a little Fiat 500e EV as a second car (Tesla is my only car) so that I have a back up when the Tesla is rented. I would also rent out the Fiat too. Used Fiat's are going for even less than the Leafs and in my opinion look much better, but not sure on reliability etc.

Good Job Gene!

Now why don't you put your Tesla on Turo as well? I've rented mine out 34 times so far, and it's been a great way to get people into a Tesla.

Funny, as I've considered getting a little Fiat 500e EV as a second car (Tesla is my only car) so that I have a back up when the Tesla is rented. I would also rent out the Fiat too. Used Fiat's are going for even less than the Leafs and in my opinion look much better, but not sure on reliability etc.
Well, I have considered putting my Model S up on Turo as well. I am one of those nut cases with absolutely zero dings. Have you had any damage while renting the Tesla?

I have an extra Model 3 on order with intention to put it on Turo. Shoudl easily get $100 a day and be rented out most of the time. In less than a year, it might pay for itself!

About the Fiat 500e. I agree the Fiat looks great! I choose the Leaf as I didn't want people to think EV's are only tiny little cars. The Leaf has a roomy back seat and a fair amount of cargo space. The Leaf is simply more practical.

Last edited:
Well, anytime you drive, you risk dents, scratches etc. So yes, I have a few scratches in 114,000 miles :) No damage other than that. But at the end of the day, it's a replaceable possession, and the scratch rate doesn't seem to be any higher when I rent it versus when I drive it. To me it's worth the $ I receive plus the satisfaction of letting people experience the Tesla and hopefully buying one eventually.

I applaud what you are doing with the Leaf! Heck, I wish more people would snap up these cheap EVs and rent them out to help people discover how much better they are...

Reactions: gene
On Friday, we just purchased a dirt cheap Leaf too! $6,800 for a base S with charger upgrades and backup camera as the only options. 34K miles and 94% capacity on the battery according to Leaf Spy. We were looking to replace our 500e lease that expired, but those used are actually still a bit more expensive out here. So while we don't love the looks, we can't argue with the price and it will do the trick until the Model 3 ships! If it wasn't for the fact my wife wanted a backup camera, we could have gotten one for about $6,500 for a similar 2013.

These are definitely great starter EVs now and the price is great. Solid and cheap commuter car for sure. I can't recommend Leaf Spy enough. The dealer we went to had over a dozen 2013s on the lot with many base ones for the same price. I went between all of them and was surprised at the battery capacity different between all of them. One with just 20K miles only had 85% battery left (California car). You can lose a lot of capacity before the first bar drops on the display, so Leaf Spy is great to get a better reading.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and gene
I am looking at doing something similar with the same dealership. I want to pick up a 500e and have it shipped back to Utah. Any suggestions on how to get a real walk around of the car before I pay and have it shipped here? After my Model 3 shows up, it will be a daily, rental, let family members borrow car.

I am looking at doing something similar with the same dealership. I want to pick up a 500e and have it shipped back to Utah. Any suggestions on how to get a real walk around of the car before I pay and have it shipped here? After my Model 3 shows up, it will be a daily, rental, let family members borrow car.
Well, if you find one fairly close to the Santa Barbara/Ventura area, I volunteer to take a look at it for you.

I've had a Model S since March 2013 with already 75,000 miles on it. I've had several friends and strangers order Model S's after riding in mine. Thing is I have a whole slew of friends somewhat interested in EV's who haven't made the purchase. Oh they talk the talk about concern over climate change, pollution etc. But they still drive ICE, they still have no solar panels. Even though they talk the talk, as far as Mother Earth is concerned as far as she can see, their actions really are no different than a climate denier. So, I bought this really nice 2013 Leaf with 12 bars of battery, in awesome condition with only 25k miles on it for $7,600 (Anaheim Pre-Owned Cars has 50 to 60 at anytime, talk to Josh). I'm loaning this Leaf out to whomever will try it a couple of days. I only got the car a week ago. I loaned to friends on the fence, well, they are now shopping for one. Next week, I have another friend scheduled, so on and so on. I'm just thinking all my obsessive talk about EV's to people I meet means nothing to them, but loaning them an EV for a couple of days speaks volumes. Any of you EV obsessed folks out there might consider doing the same. Actually, it's rather fun.

I also listed it on Turo, you can see it here: Take a trip in Gene's Nissan
You lost me at Mother Earth.