Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D or new 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in same Quandary... I have no regrets about purchasing new 75 over the used 85....new front, updated seats, standard air suspension, ambient lighting, and of course 4.2 0-60 Crazzzzzy Acceleration nothing nothing like ordinary gas guzzling Mercedes,BMW,or whatever!!! Oh almost forgot $7500 tax credit and in my state another $2500 rebate!! Cant get on used vehicle.

I'll add 3 more.

- fresh new battery
- new warranty that begins with you!
- known history with the car, someone who buy a a p85d just to dump it after 2 years is probably not going to treat it gingerly.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
known history with the car, someone who buy a a p85d just to dump it after 2 years is probably not going to treat it gingerly.

Why do people make this gross stereotype? :confused: Red herring anyone? I bought my P85D from an owner who treated the car extremely well. It was in near-new condition with 20k miles on it. He was having a kid and needed to sell. People buy, own, treat, and sell cars for many different reasons. Most Tesla owners I know treat their cars like garage queens.

By your logic, anyone who owns a P100DL is going to abuse it, so never buy a used P100DL. That's an inane assumption/assertion to make.

Why do people make this gross stereotype? :confused: Red herring anyone? I bought my P85D from an owner who treated the car extremely well. It was in near-new condition with 20k miles on it. He was having a kid and needed to sell. People buy, own, treat, and sell cars for many different reasons. Most Tesla owners I know treat their cars like garage queens.

By your logic, anyone who owns a P100DL is going to abuse it, so never buy a used P100DL. That's an inane assumption/assertion to make.

Lol, you get riled up way too easily. You're taking this waaaay to seriously/literally.

I'm just stating the fact that some value knowing a cars history from the start.

I'm just stating the fact that some value knowing a cars history from the start.

Knowing the car's history from the start is one thing. But to assert that anyone buying a used P85D is going to get an abused car is absurd.

Anyone buying a used car is free to get a pre-purchase inspection to validate the condition of the car. It's called due-dilligence. Used Teslas present an extremely good deal as in the case of P85Ds, they are nearly 50% depreciated already and are holding their value pretty well. But if anyone wants to buy a new car and take that big depreciation hit on mile 1, that's their choice. I've never bought a new car in my life, and that includes many high-performance sports and collectible cars that people didn't abuse before selling.

Knowing the car's history from the start is one thing. But to assert that anyone buying a used P85D is going to get an abused car is absurd.

Anyone buying a used car is free to get a pre-purchase inspection to validate the condition of the car. It's called due-dilligence. Used Teslas present an extremely good deal as in the case of P85Ds, they are nearly 50% depreciated already and are holding their value pretty well. But if anyone wants to buy a new car and take that big depreciation hit on mile 1, that's their choice. I've never bought a new car in my life, and that includes many high-performance sports and collectible cars that people didn't abuse before selling.

I'm giving you one possible example.

I've never owned a new car, and I don't regret it at all. I just bought a P85 for $50K, I'll drive it for 4 years, sell it for probably $25K, and then buy a used P100DL to replace it. Before that, i bought a 2011 Cadillac STS in 2014, and then a 2006 STS in 2010... Lost very little money on them over the time that I owned them, even though I put nearly 90K miles on them both.

I'm sure the 75D would ride a bit nicer and has some of the nicer build quality improvements, but the P85D will be much more fun to drive and will hold its relative value much better.

A few people have commented, but I'll add my perspective.

I have just driven a S75 for roughly 6,000 miles during the last month.
I own a P85DL, and have about 30,000 miles on that one.
Earlier I have owned Ferrari, two Porsche 911's , three Maserati's, a Morgan +8, a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 (the P100D of it's age) and a few dozen others.

The P85DL is my favorite car to drive, ever. Ludicrous helps, especially above 60 MPH. No other car I have ever driven is comparable, unless one considers P90DL and P100DL which are even better, I've driven both, but really any Tesla P is an awesome vehicle.

The 75 is really great, but it is distinctly not a shocking vehicle. It's a great tourer and a relative bargain.

A couple of days ago I drove my own P85DL following my weeks with the 75. If your habits run to the cars you mentioned you'll be happier with the P85D.

FWIW. I don't ever want an ICE again, not even to drive. I am considering moving to the next PxxD, hopefully the Model 3 as a 'pocket rocket'. If not that I'll buy another S.
Don't go with the S75. You'll regret the lost thrills.

Reactions: Olle

No I think because he was looking at a used car dealership and not private party was the assumption. I see your point and its valid but you have to admit some people have money to burn and beat cars up and turn them regularly which I never have. There are also people like maybe you and I that keep there car clean, get serviced and don't drive like a 17 yr old on CRACK!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Posting this for the OP:

2015 P85D Fully Loaded without Ludicrous Red / Tan

P85D. $77k. 23k miles. Performance Plus suspension. New tires.

Wow. That's a deal. And you can likely buy the 4 year, 100k mileage ESA/warranty.
If the OP checks a little there are probably P85DL with both service contact and extended service agreement too for a roughly similar price.
The newer cars have AP-2, new fascia, and maybe bioweapon defense mode.
Considering the 8 year unlimited mileage running gear warranty and known Tesla longer term reliability I'd argue that a new car is better if money is not a major factor, otherwise a used P85D really is a bargain.

I have a 2014 P85 and it is perfect. I would NOT buy one without full AP1 though and it is hard to tell from photo if P85D has it or not. My car does 0-60 in 4 seconds or less and has no torque steer. Check the paint on turbines and look for laminate cracks - mine are cracked byt Tesla are repainting and refurbing under warranty - what other car manufacturer would do that!!! Whatever Tesla you get you will fall in love!!

I've been around the block to know that a dealer's PPI isn't the end all to getting a problem free car. It's always going to be buyer beware.

If performance is paramount, and it seems getting a front fascia is important to the OP, get the newest P, you can afford. Maybe a P90DL? I'll state this again, go look/drive an older Tesla and compare to a more recent one. The minor tweaks/changes end up being pretty big as far as the quality goes. The last loaner I got was a 2015 P85L+ with 20K miles, and I was surprised at how much difference in motor whine, wind noise, and general fit and finish compared to the 2017 cars. I'm not saying the new cars are perfect in anyway, but they are leaps and bounds different than the older ones.

This old notion just won't die!! :)

Tesla changed the rules about a year ago. Any used tesla that hasn't gone through a dealer is eligible to buy the ESA under 50k miles.

Ah, that's why I couldn't get it... Bought mine through a dealer... Oh well. Still coming out ahead of a CPO price with the options I got, even if I have to buy an MCU in a bit. (Though i'm reasonably sure mine has already been replaced)