Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model 3s pricing error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen anyone mention the crazy AWD and M3P deals that Tesla posted around 1AM this morning.Tesla seem to have listed a whole bunch of them around (100+) and they all sold within minutes. I've seen AWDs for $34-35k and a red M3P for $35k! Bananas!

Here is an album on some of the listings:

Imgur

Reactions: KenC
Here you go with some more. All of these were available when I looked at it.

Attachments

• CC5C1E3C-1436-42F9-9338-46A2A6186CCB.jpeg
    CC5C1E3C-1436-42F9-9338-46A2A6186CCB.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 243
  • A38931C4-DC1C-4911-A4E9-8FB369DDD103.jpeg
    A38931C4-DC1C-4911-A4E9-8FB369DDD103.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 38DCB089-17E5-4896-BF5D-3AC59AF2C88D.jpeg
    38DCB089-17E5-4896-BF5D-3AC59AF2C88D.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 137EB230-116A-44A5-AB62-6E00708CED2D.jpeg
    137EB230-116A-44A5-AB62-6E00708CED2D.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 832
  • 0BBCA7A2-9276-49FF-8CBC-851B5324C576.jpeg
    0BBCA7A2-9276-49FF-8CBC-851B5324C576.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 837
Reactions: jboles
I was online last night when all of these were put up and was so hyped

Your area had a few cars I would have snagged! I just looked up your area code from your city and there's 0 inventory there now

The LR AWD's priced less than an SR were absurd

Last edited:
What do we think the point of "giving away" these cars is? They list a bunch of cars for so cheap that they all sell within minutes. What is the point? Why not price them appropriately? For a company losing money every month this does not sound like a wise business practice. I mean if they sold them all in minutes then they could have added couple grand to each and sold them in hours? They want to charge top dollar for FSD that does not have much value yet and then they give away thousands for the part that folks will pay for, the car.

They also need to do some work on there trade-in business practices. They gave me $5k more for my trade-in then anyone else would. They just blindly look at KBB value without any regard. They need to hire some real operations folks to run things.

• Disagree
Probably, if they were clean cars then there is no reason to give them away.

How does it even matter if these had some small marks. For $36k LR AWD Red + White interior is INSANE deal with less than 800 miles. They all have warranty of what’s left so say good 36-40 months for sure.

It was available for me in my area but obviously I couldn’t buy since I can’t return my P3D-. Maybe should have bought to flip haha. Easy $5-7k I could have made in 3 weeks.

Reactions: Mr X
How does it even matter if these had some small marks. For $36k LR AWD Red + White interior is INSANE deal with less than 800 miles. They all have warranty of what’s left so say good 36-40 months for sure.

It was available for me in my area but obviously I couldn’t buy since I can’t return my P3D-. Maybe should have bought to flip haha. Easy $5-7k I could have made in 3 weeks.

Not just small scuffs or chips. I am talking wrecks with repaired body damage. Sometimes cars are damaged in transport, sometimes on test drives, etc. But I agree, that is why I said, why give them away. Tesla could just send them to an auction and get more money for them and not even have to deal with a customer.

I don't see how Tesla would sell salvage cars as CPO's. Unless they are 100% fixed and 100% safe

not clean doesnt = salvage.

There will definitely be a reason why they are so cheap. Could be buy backs, could be returns, could be damage in transit and repaired, etc. We dont know... but tesla does know, and they decided that (for example) 15k discount was "appropriate" for that model 3 performance. A lot of those have some variation in pricing for the similar spec cars, so there is definitely "something" with them.

There is a price at which people will buy stuff for sure, but for me, I dont see " good deal" I see " wtf is wrong with those cars for that discount?" I am not into buying headaches if I can afford it, which is why I buy new cars instead of used. For some those cars make sense. Not for me though.

There will definitely be a reason why they are so cheap. Could be buy backs, could be returns, could be damage in transit and repaired, etc. We dont know... but tesla does know, and they decided that (for example) 15k discount was "appropriate" for that model 3 performance. A lot of those have some variation in pricing for the similar spec cars, so there is definitely "something" with them.

There is a price at which people will buy stuff for sure, but for me, I dont see " good deal" I see " wtf is wrong with those cars for that discount?" I am not into buying headaches if I can afford it, which is why I buy new cars instead of used. For some those cars make sense. Not for me though.

My leased Volt got hit and insurance replaced the driver door and side mirror. My car was technically involved in an accident but was 100% fixed after with zero issues and looked brand new

If something like that happened to any of those Model 3's last night that makes absolutely no difference in anything and I'll gladly take the car for $15,000 off because of minor accident damage that was 100% fixed and not noticeable

I still can't get over those prices

My leased Volt got hit and insurance replaced the driver door and side mirror. My car was technically involved in an accident but was 100% fixed after with zero issues and looked brand new

If something like that happened to any of those Model 3's last night that makes absolutely no difference in anything and I'll gladly take the car for $15,000 off because of minor accident damage that was 100% fixed and not noticeable

I still can't get over those prices

Everyone is different. your car was not "technically involved in an accident" it WAS involved in an accident, and "not noticable by the naked eye" does not = perfect repair, especially for a car someone plans on keeping for a while. Many issues with repairs show up "later" or in additional squeaks and rattles "later" or in paint issues "later" although tesla paint is already not great so no big loss there.

There is ALWAYS a reason something is marked down. Always. For 15k off, Tesla knows what that reason is. You may be fine with it, but they are likely not going to tell you what the reason is, in written form. It sounds like you would be fine with that. I am just saying I am not, which is fine for both of us :)

As long as one knows that they got a price reduction and doesnt come running here to "complain about quality" or wonder why their car is a rattlebox, or why their battery shows 20 miles less than everyone elses after a year, or some such. Specifically, a "new" car with less than 1k miles sold with 15k off would be something I would never buy, because they know something I dont... and I wouldnt want to deal with whatever that is.

Nothing wrong with others being willing to deal with it either /shrug

Agreed. There is a point a which the deal becomes too good to be true and then you are not so interested anymore. It sounds like these cars may fit that description but who knows. It is always a gamble when you buy a used car. The bottom line is somebody will buy them as long as the price is right.

• Disagree
I bought one at 38k at around 10pm last night. I'm going to pull the carfax too. I just have to sign up for car fax and pay for it. White awd with 19s. It was the first to pop up on my alerts. I live in southern California and the car is in San Francisco. So I'll let you know what happens when they call me..

Im sure you are aware of this, but just because a car has a clean carfax does not mean it wasnt in an accident.... All sorts of body shops dont report to carfax, and if (for example) a car fell off a truck or suffered significant damage before reaching a service center, and then tesla fixes it, that also will not show up on a carfax. I dont think carfax is going to help you much in this case.

If this was a traditional dealership type model you could get a pre purchase inspection (third party) to look into it, but I dont think thats possible with a tesla.

Also, OP, since you marked "disagree" on my post I would love to know what you disagree with in it. The fact that purchasing such a car is not for me, but I understand why its right for others? The fact that there is definitely "some reason" that these cars are discounted?

Reactions: shiftkenny
Im sure you are aware of this, but just because a car has a clean carfax does not mean it wasnt in an accident.... All sorts of body shops dont report to carfax, and if (for example) a car fell off a truck or suffered significant damage before reaching a service center, and then tesla fixes it, that also will not show up on a carfax. I dont think carfax is going to help you much in this case.

If this was a traditional dealership type model you could get a pre purchase inspection (third party) to look into it, but I dont think thats possible with a tesla.

Also, OP, since you marked "disagree" on my post I would love to know what you disagree with in it. The fact that purchasing such a car is not for me, but I understand why its right for others? The fact that there is definitely "some reason" that these cars are discounted?
Good to know I guess I gotta just fly to s.f and hope for the best...