Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla S issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I'm a newb on the forum. Had a few questions on used model S cars.

Currently my wife drives an E320 diesel Benz, its a 2005 with 149k on the clock. There are things we love about the Benz like its torque and fuel economy for its size (35-42mpg). However its pretty old and has needed lots of things fixing; I do all the work on the cars like repairs and servicing myself.
Its at the age that I'm waiting for more things to fail on it and so we've been thinking of replacing it.

I have two cars, a 911 and a chevy volt. I have 131k on the volt which I drive daily and I love commuting on electric. Its had ONE major fault at 129k when the charging module failed, I bought a used module and swapped it out myself and its all good.

If we do get her a replacement car I'm leaning towards electric for a few reasons. One is the low maintenance, I can do the tranny oil and coolant/brake fluid myself and EV's require so much less work than an ICE.

Two she gets free electricity, she owns part of the family business and putting a charger in (which we won't have to pay for either) is not a problem, we live near her work so she can pretty much charge there for free 99% of the time. Currently I think she spend about $150 a month on diesel.

The prices of used model S cars has really dropped recently, partly due to the model 3 and partly here in CA due to the white HOV stickers expiring.

I've done some homework on S faults and it seems to boil down to: the single board computer (with touchscreen), door handles, motor bearing failures and battery pack faults.

Have I missed anything? some of the S's I've seen online still have warranty which is great but if we bought one this would be a long term thing, we'd go for a 2012-2014 S with 85kwh battery.

If I bought one and had a big problem what kind of hassles would I have if I couldn't do the repair myself? I'm in the SF bay area and unsure what kind of places repair Tesla's.

Thanks!

Half shafts are another potential issue. And the onboard charger(s).

No 3rd party is really doing Tesla repairs yet. So if you encounter something you can't do yourself and isn't a standard car part like brakes or suspension, Tesla is the only option. Note that some things require firmware updates when they are replaced, like MCUs. Only Tesla and a few hackers have that capability as Tesla doesn't currently allow 3rd parties access to all the tools needed.

Honestly, a Bolt or a Leaf (depending on range needs) might be a better long term low maintenance BEV option. Teslas are like owning an exotic as far as repairs go.

Half shafts are another potential issue. And the onboard charger(s).

No 3rd party is really doing Tesla repairs yet. So if you encounter something you can't do yourself and isn't a standard car part like brakes or suspension, Tesla is the only option. Note that some things require firmware updates when they are replaced, like MCUs. Only Tesla and a few hackers have that capability as Tesla doesn't currently allow 3rd parties access to all the tools needed.

Honestly, a Bolt or a Leaf (depending on range needs) might be a better long term low maintenance BEV option. Teslas are like owning an exotic as far as repairs go.

Thanks, the driveshaft CV joints fail or the rubber boots split?

We actually test drove a Bolt (Leaf doesn't have enough range) but the interior is really econobox compared to her Benz so she doesn't want it.

Thanks, the driveshaft CV joints fail or the rubber boots split?

We actually test drove a Bolt (Leaf doesn't have enough range) but the interior is really econobox compared to her Benz so she doesn't want it.

I haven't encountered the half shaft issue on ours so I cant say for sure. Most people just get them replaced when seeing the posts on the boards. "Shudder" might be a good search term.

I totally get the econobox interior issue. I loved my Gen 1 Volt, but no power seats and other creature comforts got very old coming from Lexus and Audis. Wish there were other EV options on the upscale side out already.

Tesla has a program of ongoing improvement, on their way to the goal of 1 Million Mile cars. The earliest cars had some issues that have gone away with newer models.

There are now independent 3rd parties that are supplying take off parts from crashed Teslas and you can get most of the commonly needed replacement parts relatively inexpensively and quickly. You will see them popping up in forums like this one.

You are in the center of the Tesla Universe (SF). People can reprogram the computers, diagnose issues and supply solutions for the DIY crowd. Things like the door handle issue can easily be DIY fixed for just a few bucks. Some independant DIYers have commented that repairs are pretty straight forward. Bolt off...bolt on.

Believe you will find the Model S to be as dependable as any of the other EVs. Perhaps the most dependable though is still the Toyota Prius Hybrid. Lots of then rolling up hundreds of thousands of miles, especially in taxi fleets.

We went from a Mercedes to a Model X. Service has been 1/10th of what we experienced with the Mercedes.

Add air suspension to the list...the key point is fuel, (FUSC) maintenance ( Almost none) and repairs (4 years, 50k miles min warranty) are likely to be much less than any ICE. This is assuming you get a CPO 2015 MS

Add air suspension to the list...the key point is fuel, (FUSC) maintenance ( Almost none) and repairs (4 years, 50k miles min warranty) are likely to be much less than any ICE. This is assuming you get a CPO 2015 MS

I agree a CPO 2015 MS is the sweet spot to both 8 yr battery and drivetrain+ 4 years, 50k miles min warranty+FUSC. Although they tried to talk me out of FUSC at a store yesterday since it costs so little/mile to "fill up"

My concern is depreciation/repairs when the 4 years, 50k miles min warranty runs out.

Hey Folks, well I came this close (that's very close) to seeing a 2013 with 114k on the clock today. At the last minute my wife came down with norovirus so we cancelled.

The car was a good price, still had 2 years of powertrain and battery warranty, 2 owners since new and second owner didn't charge to 100% to put less stress on the battery. It had no sunroof so one less thing to break.

I might still go to see it tomorrow, I guess one thing I didn't clear up is what exactly IS covered with a powertrain warranty and battery warranty?

I'm staying away from cars with air suspension, I don't need it or want more things to go wrong.

At this point I still have reservations about buying one at all. For example, if the MCU failed I have two options. One is brand new at Tesla's $175 an hour labor rate or Ebay.

I'm not afraid of Ebay and my own repairs as I've been fixing cars for decades; however what I'm unsure about is how Tesla revises their parts, so do they revise assemblies many times a year and none of the wrong revs will work on a car with different revision parts? If I bought a 2013 MCU off Ebay is the same year enough? or do I have to get a 2013 with revision number XYZ? also do things like the MCU and battery charger require re-flashing of firmware by Tesla? will they even do it?

I mentioned I fixed my Chevy EV about a month ago, I made sure I bought a used charging module of the same year as my vehicle. When it came to fitting it, it had a different rev on it. I thought no problem. When I went to put the final CANBUS connector on it, it didn't fit. They changed it. I ended up opening the charging module and swapping the cable assembly from the PCB between the broken and working chargers and it worked. I just got darned lucky. I have my doubts I'd get that lucky with Tesla modules..? or would I?

One more query I had was for a diagnostic tool, I know for a lot of German cars you can buy a very good scanner for OBD and it will give you lots of data on the cars systems, if something was available for the S it should be able to read out stuff like the battery cell voltages etc.
Does something like this exist?

Hey Folks, well I came this close (that's very close) to seeing a 2013 with 114k on the clock today. At the last minute my wife came down with norovirus so we cancelled.

The car was a good price, still had 2 years of powertrain and battery warranty, 2 owners since new and second owner didn't charge to 100% to put less stress on the battery. It had no sunroof so one less thing to break.

I might still go to see it tomorrow, I guess one thing I didn't clear up is what exactly IS covered with a powertrain warranty and battery warranty?

I'm staying away from cars with air suspension, I don't need it or want more things to go wrong.

At this point I still have reservations about buying one at all. For example, if the MCU failed I have two options. One is brand new at Tesla's $175 an hour labor rate or Ebay.

I'm not afraid of Ebay and my own repairs as I've been fixing cars for decades; however what I'm unsure about is how Tesla revises their parts, so do they revise assemblies many times a year and none of the wrong revs will work on a car with different revision parts? If I bought a 2013 MCU off Ebay is the same year enough? or do I have to get a 2013 with revision number XYZ? also do things like the MCU and battery charger require re-flashing of firmware by Tesla? will they even do it?

I mentioned I fixed my Chevy EV about a month ago, I made sure I bought a used charging module of the same year as my vehicle. When it came to fitting it, it had a different rev on it. I thought no problem. When I went to put the final CANBUS connector on it, it didn't fit. They changed it. I ended up opening the charging module and swapping the cable assembly from the PCB between the broken and working chargers and it worked. I just got darned lucky. I have my doubts I'd get that lucky with Tesla modules..? or would I?

One more query I had was for a diagnostic tool, I know for a lot of German cars you can buy a very good scanner for OBD and it will give you lots of data on the cars systems, if something was available for the S it should be able to read out stuff like the battery cell voltages etc.

Air suspension is a part to go wrong, however it's a REALLY nice part to have... We just picked up both our 2013's with air and 102k on 1 and 122k on the other.. I think the warranty is just that, battery and motor so I would be presently surprised if they covered anything else for me in the future..

MCU seems to be a complex replacement, however you have one of the best Tesla Guru in your area to deal with that. Also I've been checking and pretty sure the car wont be stranded with a black MCU. Car is amazingly easy to work on so far, I have not done any major repairs, but have had many parts of the car apart and back together for small upgrades.

From what I see the older cars are pretty much compatible with new revision parts, and are often upgraded when they need replacement. A few seem to be more troublesome if retrofitting, but replacement don't appear to have an issue for most items.

make it less nimble/sporty?

Yes. I had a coil P85 and hated getting the floaty air suspension loaners. Only exception are the plus suspensions and the 2014/2015 thru May P85Ds

It isn't a powertrain warranty. It is just the drive unit that is warrantied. The battery is also just the battery, not the charging system, etc.

Hey folks, I'm doing a wider search on cars and found some others that seem like a good deal. One question I had, if I buy a used Tesla from a non-Telsa used dealer and it has remaining powertrain warranty from the factory, is it still transferable to the new owner?

The 2013s are pretty early in the learning curve and are more likely to have problems with air suspension, "milling" drive train, and door handles.
As others have said, 2015 is probably a good "sweet spot" since most of the problems were ironed out by then.
My 2015 S 85D has 72,000 miles and I have had no routine maintenance expenses and only one out of warranty repair (door handle rebuilt by mobile service for $226). Other than that, it's just tires and windshield wipers. My battery is down only 6%.