Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

User Annoyed That EAP Won’t Work On His Highway Commute - How To Fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Tesla wrote that EAP works on highways.

IMG_0233.jpeg

I bought a used M3 specifically with EAP for my commute. Turns out EAP does NOT work on the Pali Highway even though it’s designated a highway ( HI-61) by the state. I’m pissed and want Tesla to include it for my commute, or upgrade my car to FSD at no additional cost to me so that it works as claimed. Do I have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting either options to happen, and if so, how do I best go about doing this?

-Paul

PS I also 2 have recurring daily issues with EAP that I haven’t seen discussed by others but the above is far by the most pressing one.

View attachment 944067

I bought a used M3 specifically with EAP for my commute. Turns out EAP does NOT work on the Pali Highway even though it’s designated a highway ( HI-61) by the state. I’m pissed and want Tesla to include it for my commute, or upgrade my car to FSD at no additional cost to me so that it works as claimed. Do I have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting either options to happen, and if so, how do I best go about doing this?

-Paul

PS I also 2 have recurring daily issues with EAP that I haven’t seen discussed by others but the above is far by the most pressing one.
I do agree that your claim is 100% valid but whether Tesla will do anything about it is another matter. Good luck in dealing with Tesla!

What part is NOT working? It says it "guides your car from highway's on-ramp to off-ramp". So this is a limited access highway with ramps and NoA is missing the off ramp?

EDIT: Just for kicks I searched on Apple Maps and came up with this strode listed as state highway 61/Pali. Obviously not the highway you are referring to.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 6.35.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Turns out EAP does NOT work on the Pali Highway even though it’s designated a highway
On the mainland, "highway" means "interstate highway". Roads like the Pali Highway are just "divided roads" here, and they're all over the place. EAP and FSD cannot manage those roads because of the complexity of the traffic situations. It's what FSDb is being built to address. Snowball, meet hell.

Regardless of what Hawaii calls a highway, or New York, or the town of East Gumshoe calls a "highway", Tesla defines a highway as a limited access road, i.e. one with on-ramps and off-ramps and no at-grade intersections.

Besides, I have to ask the same question that @JulienW asked: what functionality do you think you are missing? EAP should be able to keep you in the lane, maintain speed, and I believe honor traffic controls as well as give you the functionality of changing lanes automatically upon request. Granted, regular old autopilot will do most of that. Were you expecting EAP to automatically navigate off the "highway" for you?

Unfortunately I think in this case you didn't do your due diligence to understand exactly how EAP works and what "highway" really means in the context of EAP.

What part is NOT working? It says it "guides your car from highway's on-ramp to off-ramp". So this is a limited access highway with ramps and NoA is missing the off ramp?

EDIT: Just for kicks I searched on Apple Maps and came up with this strode listed as state highway 61/Pali. Obviously not the highway you are referring to.

The Pali Highway does have a 2-3 mile stretch of intersections/houses as shown in your photo. The rest of it is a divided highway complete with on ramps and off ramps.

On the mainland, "highway" means "interstate highway". Roads like the Pali Highway are just "divided roads" here, and they're all over the place. EAP and FSD cannot manage those roads because of the complexity of the traffic situations. It's what FSDb is being built to address. Snowball, meet hell.

OK, so EAP only works on what we call “freeways” here. So it’s a location terminology issue that I’m running into - Hawaii vs mainland terms?

I’m surprised that you said FSD would not be able to manage this either. I’ve seen countless videos/reviews of FSD being used on city streets and it doesn’t add up to me that it would not be able to handle what we call a highway here. 4 or 5 stop lights in a 3 mile stretch, no turns needed. I’m pretty confused now. Can somebody clarify? I’m about to sell my car to go look for one that has FSD instead and don’t want to make another mistake if FSD doesn’t work either.

Regardless of what Hawaii calls a highway, or New York, or the town of East Gumshoe calls a "highway", Tesla defines a highway as a limited access road, i.e. one with on-ramps and off-ramps and no at-grade intersections.

Besides, I have to ask the same question that @JulienW asked: what functionality do you think you are missing? EAP should be able to keep you in the lane, maintain speed, and I believe honor traffic controls as well as give you the functionality of changing lanes automatically upon request. Granted, regular old autopilot will do most of that. Were you expecting EAP to automatically navigate off the "highway" for you?

Unfortunately I think in this case you didn't do your due diligence to understand exactly how EAP works and what "highway" really means in the context of EAP.

I get on and off the Pali using on and off ramps. I personally would not trust the AP with the morning commute on-ramp due to its yield requirement but would be nice for it to handle the off-ramp (gets onto the H1 Freeway).

Not doing my due-diligence - I did not see anywhere that Tesla says “no at-grade intersections” for EAP use when I was researching this. Can you show me where this is clearly explained by Tesla - if not, then how did I fail to do my due diligence? :confused: I tried looking again again just now and came up short. Tesla needs to update their website.

-Paul

I’m surprised that you said FSD would not be able to manage this either.
Remember, FSD is different from FSD beta.

FSD is primarily meant for limited access highways with on-ramps and off-ramps only. It cannot automatically turn left at an intersection to get off the road you are on.

FSD does partially work on City Streets but very limited. It can stop at every single green lights if the green lights don't have a running leading car. Notice: Stop at every green light! That's why it partially works on City Streets.

Thus, if you want Navigation on Autopilot, a function of EAP and FSD that you can buy, that "highway" should not have intersections, traffic lights, or stop signs...

You want to get FSD beta that will solve your "limited access highway" problem. FSD beta works with highways with all those intersections, traffic lights, or stop signs...

I need to caution you that FSD beta is experimental, so it's great if you love to be a test pilot, but it might be very frustrating if you are average consumers that want to pay for a reliable product.

Please don't come back to me and complain that FSD beta runs a stop sign. Although FSD beta is designed for those scenarios you wanted above, whether it is reliable is another issue.

Thank you Tam for that very candid summary and explainer of FSD vs FSD Beta. I'm lol-ing at "Stop at every green light!"

I'm a huge supporter of AP/autonomous driving and absolutely want it in my car(s). Going into Beta the way it is set up scares me not because of the experimental nature but because I probably would promptly get kicked out considering how much I fight with my EAP daily as-is already. I used to constantly get kicked out of EAP use on the highway because I wasn't applying enough steering pressure to the wheel and don't watch the screen like a hawk (remember I'm deaf - I assume the system beeps to inform the driver). It was happening every day and I'd have to pull over, park the car, open the door for a second, close the door, put the car back in gear, and merge back onto the road and re-engage EAP. It got so frustrating that I added an ankle weight to the steering wheel to stop that from happening. Then one time the car declared that I was caught using an weighted device and shut down EAP on me. I was freakin' paying attention and had my hand on the wheel. That was disheartening. Yesterday I had to go pick up my wife from the airport and took her Tesla instead - no weighted bracelet handy and I promptly got kicked out of her AP. No safe place to pull over to shut off the car and restart it until I got to the actual Airport. Argh.

Second thing that I fight with the EAP daily about is there are two sections on my morning commute and one section on my afternoon commute where the EAP will not drive at a safe speed. It drives much too slowly. Yes, it is still going 5 over the posted limit, but those three zones, nobody goes anywhere near those speeds - double the posted limit is the norm. No matter how I try to set up the AP in the menu, the car refuses to go anything more than 5 over so I'm always hitting the electron pedal to avoid pissing others off, or getting rear-ended.

I assume there are no good solutions to the above two issues I have daily?

-Paul

The Pali Highway does have a 2-3 mile stretch of intersections/houses as shown in your photo. The rest of it is a divided highway complete with on ramps and off ramps.

OK, so EAP only works on what we call “freeways” here. So it’s a location terminology issue that I’m running into - Hawaii vs mainland terms?

I’m surprised that you said FSD would not be able to manage this either. I’ve seen countless videos/reviews of FSD being used on city streets and it doesn’t add up to me that it would not be able to handle what we call a highway here. 4 or 5 stop lights in a 3 mile stretch, no turns needed. I’m pretty confused now. Can somebody clarify? I’m about to sell my car to go look for one that has FSD instead and don’t want to make another mistake if FSD doesn’t work either.

I get on and off the Pali using on and off ramps. I personally would not trust the AP with the morning commute on-ramp due to its yield requirement but would be nice for it to handle the off-ramp (gets onto the H1 Freeway).

Not doing my due-diligence - I did not see anywhere that Tesla says “no at-grade intersections” for EAP use when I was researching this. Can you show me where this is clearly explained by Tesla - if not, then how did I fail to do my due diligence? :confused: I tried looking again again just now and came up short. Tesla needs to update their website.

-Paul
You may know all this, so not trying to insult you. Just trying to help...

When you state that EAP does not work on this Pali Hwy, I assume you mean that Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) does not engage and, instead, AP is used.

First off, does NOA engage on any limited access road for you?

There's a couple things that we should check. First off, do you know for a certainty that your car has EAP? If it does, it should be listed on the software page as an Included Capability, or words to that effect.

Assuming you do have EAP on the car, is NOA enabled? It needs to be enabled on the Autopilot page. And, you should ensure that it is enabled on each drive. There's a toggle for that. At least there used to be.

There used to be an icon on the navigation panel on the map that would be blue if NOA was enabled. I use FSDb, and no longer use NOA so I can't tell you for sure where this would be today. But, if you have NOA enabled for every drive, then it should be available all the time.

If you do not have NOA enabled, then you will only have AP available (assuming that AP is also enabled!)

BTW, there is no hard and fast rule about NOA working only on limited access roads with on/off ramps. I have used NOA countless times in Texas on two-lane rural roads with surface level intersections where speed limits were 65+ mph. So long as these roads were outside any city limits, NOA would enagage. If speed limits dropped below 65 mph, then NOA would drop out. I was using FSDb, so the car would drop into that instead of AP. Anyway, the point is that whether NOA is available may have more to do with those conditions.

In any event, I hope this helps you out.

Reactions: Deaf Paul

View attachment 944067

-Paul

Subscribe to FSD for a few months and only use the features included in EAP.

From my experience when I had EAP, only lane change on AP was worth it. Everything else was cool the first two times, then I never used them.

...get kicked out...
Correct!
If you think the Autopilot/EAP/FSD penalty system is bad right now, the FSD beta is much stricter and less relaxing!

Your eyes should be on the road, not the instrument cluster, to ensure you are not penalized.

I continuously apply a counter-torque on the steering wheel. Thus, I seldom get any nagging error messages anymore.

...Yes, it is still going 5 over the posted limit...
That's because Tesla considers those stretches of the roads not "highways" but "City Streets."

If Tesla doesn't recode those stretches, you will continue getting that 5 MPH limitation even with FSD beta. Some say the 5 MPH restriction is lifted in FSD beta, but not in my experience. So, it might just be a matter of random codings and not a universal generalized capability.

-Paul
No, I don't think it's Hawaii vs. mainland...the word "highway" is a generic term that applies to many different types of roads all over the country. All the way down to 2 lane roads that for example are referred to as "State Highway XX" for example.

But when Tesla's marketing collateral (and by the way, that's all it is, it's not a legally binding contract) refers to a "highway" they are referring to the characteristics of the road, not the "legal", "common" or "colloquial" designation. And this comes down to this: if the section of road you are traveling on is a "controlled access highway" (I think that is the more official designation) (Controlled-access highway - Wikipedia) then you will get Navigate-on-Autopilot (NoA) behavior. Otherwise you will just get basic Autopilot behavior. By saying that you did not do due diligence, I am meaning that you did not adequately research this fact. This is well known and well documented. It says it right here in the Owner's Manual: Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

So that brings me back to the question that I think everyone is asking you, which is what exactly is the functionality you think you are missing? Is it simply the fact that it won't automatically take the exit off of the Pali Highway? That seems like a relatively minor issue to be concerned with so much that you think you deserve full FSD / thought it would be worth spending whatever extra money the car cost you to get EAP. (And by the way, as someone with FSD, I usually disengage prior to the off-ramp anyway because it generally does a crappy job of handling the exit anyway, so you're really not missing much).

On several sections of US-29 in Virginia (a designated US highway, and known as the "Danville Expressway", "Wards Rd", "Monocan Parkway" and the "North Amherst Highway" in various sections), the road is mostly a 4-lane divided highway with occasional at-grade intersections, but there are certain sections which are controlled access, with access only by on/off ramp. While traveling on this road with NoA active, as soon I go past the first off-ramp of a section that is controlled access, NoA will activate, and as soon as I pass the last on-ramp of this section (where the next intersection is at-grade), NoA will de-activate. I suspect this is what is happening to you: the section of the Pali Highway you are traveling on might have a single on/off ramp among other at-grade intersections...but this is not enough to make it a controlled access highway. For that to be the case, you would need at least two successive on/off ramp interchanges with no intervening at-grade intersections.

For example, this intersection just north of the H-1 interchange is going to be problematic:

1686001555475.png

This at-grade intersection is going to invalidate the recognition of HI-61 as a "highway" to the navigation computer.

You brought up a couple of other things with respect to your other issues with the system. First was getting kicked out of autopilot for not torquing the steering wheel. No, the system does not audibly nag (at least not at first--I'm not sure if it ever does actually), so you are not missing anything there. You don't have to watch the screen like a hawk, but you do have to occasionally glance, or see out of your peripheral vision the flashing blue. For some reason I never had a problem with this, but my wife, who just got a Tesla did have an issue getting the torque correct. It would either be not enough, or too much (and she would disengage). It took her probably two months, including a long road trip, to finally get the hang of it. So I would suggest practice. And while your attention should be mostly ahead of you, if you are in autopilot, it is okay to occasionally glance at the screen as the car is doing the steering for you. The nag is never so brief that it will kick you out of AP if you don't check the screen every 30 seconds or so. And if you do get kicked out, I don't believe you have to actually open the door. Putting the car in park is sufficient.

Your second complaint is that AP drives too slowly for traffic, although it still is above the posted limit. No, AP is not going to know that it needs to greatly exceed the speed limit just because other cars are doing so. You are stuck with having to anticipate that and either be ready with your foot on the accelerator, or do what I do and when you pass the speed limit sign that would drop the speed, be ready to flick the right thumb wheel up. If you time it correctly, it will actually just resume the current speed.

You may know all this, so not trying to insult you. Just trying to help...

When you state that EAP does not work on this Pali Hwy, I assume you mean that Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) does not engage and, instead, AP is used.

First off, does NOA engage on any limited access road for you?

There's a couple things that we should check. First off, do you know for a certainty that your car has EAP? If it does, it should be listed on the software page as an Included Capability, or words to that effect.

Assuming you do have EAP on the car, is NOA enabled? It needs to be enabled on the Autopilot page. And, you should ensure that it is enabled on each drive. There's a toggle for that. At least there used to be.
Thank you @Supcom for making sure the basics are there - not offended at all, would be funny if it turned out I did not have EAP or have it toggled on.

I can confirm that the car does indeed have EAP and that it is toggled on in the menu, and that it works on what we call freeways here. When on the freeways, it displays a blue central line through the lane I am traveling on when I have a route selected on the map (NOA - thank you for explaining that term to me), and it will take the exit ramp off of the freeway on it's own.

@BOgs' suggestion of subscribing to FSD is a good one - I didn't even think of that, having automatically ignored any/all subscriptions other than the yearly Premium Connection service. Since I already have EAP, I understand it will only cost me $99 for the month to get FSD correct? That should let me test it out and see if it's worth selling my car to buy one that has FSD included. Will I be able to try out Beta as a one month subscriber or is that only for long term FSD users?

-Paul

Thank you Tam for that very candid summary and explainer of FSD vs FSD Beta. I'm lol-ing at "Stop at every green light!"

I'm a huge supporter of AP/autonomous driving and absolutely want it in my car(s). Going into Beta the way it is set up scares me not because of the experimental nature but because I probably would promptly get kicked out considering how much I fight with my EAP daily as-is already. I used to constantly get kicked out of EAP use on the highway because I wasn't applying enough steering pressure to the wheel and don't watch the screen like a hawk (remember I'm deaf - I assume the system beeps to inform the driver). It was happening every day and I'd have to pull over, park the car, open the door for a second, close the door, put the car back in gear, and merge back onto the road and re-engage EAP. It got so frustrating that I added an ankle weight to the steering wheel to stop that from happening. Then one time the car declared that I was caught using an weighted device and shut down EAP on me. I was freakin' paying attention and had my hand on the wheel. That was disheartening. Yesterday I had to go pick up my wife from the airport and took her Tesla instead - no weighted bracelet handy and I promptly got kicked out of her AP. No safe place to pull over to shut off the car and restart it until I got to the actual Airport. Argh.

Second thing that I fight with the EAP daily about is there are two sections on my morning commute and one section on my afternoon commute where the EAP will not drive at a safe speed. It drives much too slowly. Yes, it is still going 5 over the posted limit, but those three zones, nobody goes anywhere near those speeds - double the posted limit is the norm. No matter how I try to set up the AP in the menu, the car refuses to go anything more than 5 over so I'm always hitting the electron pedal to avoid pissing others off, or getting rear-ended.

I assume there are no good solutions to the above two issues I have daily?

-Paul

I have yet to see you answer the question. What's happening? It's a very important question to answer if you want some help.

Honestly, not hearing the beeps isn't an excuse for not following the rules. The beeps are the THIRD method of notification that you aren't holding the wheel correctly. The first is the black box pop-up, the second is the blue flashing screen. If I hear the beeps (which I rarely do) I know that I have already failed.

NoA not turning on could be as simple as you aren't watching for the steering wheel to be there, but since you haven't told us the problem, I'm just guessing.

Reactions: RTPEV
Thank you @Supcom for making sure the basics are there - not offended at all, would be funny if it turned out I did not have EAP or have it toggled on.

I can confirm that the car does indeed have EAP and that it is toggled on in the menu, and that it works on what we call freeways here. When on the freeways, it displays a blue central line through the lane I am traveling on when I have a route selected on the map (NOA - thank you for explaining that term to me), and it will take the exit ramp off of the freeway on it's own.

@BOgs' suggestion of subscribing to FSD is a good one - I didn't even think of that, having automatically ignored any/all subscriptions other than the yearly Premium Connection service. Since I already have EAP, I understand it will only cost me $99 for the month to get FSD correct? That should let me test it out and see if it's worth selling my car to buy one that has FSD included. Will I be able to try out Beta as a one month subscriber or is that only for long term FSD users?

-Paul
I've seen recent posts from some stating that they subscribed to FSD and got FSD Beta downloaded within a day or so, so it seems a good chance that you could subscribe for a month and have plenty of time to check it out. No guarantees though! At this point you would be looking for software version 2023.12.10, which has FSD Beta 11.3.6 included.

If Tesla doesn't recode those stretches, you will continue getting that 5 MPH limitation even with FSD beta. Some say the 5 MPH restriction is lifted in FSD beta, but not in my experience. So, it might just be a matter of random codings and not a universal generalized capability.
The restriction of 5mph over the speed limit does not apply to FSD Beta on any road, including city streets. Where are you seeing this happen?

RTPEV, yes, the ability to take the offramp/onramp is what I'm missing. It does a great job of taking my final off-ramp on the H1 in the morning as well as the H1 off-Ramp onto the Pali Highway in the afternoon (before it disengages due to not being what Tesla considers to be a highway), so my experience experience with NOA taking off ramps have been positive.

Putting the car into park and then back into drive does not reset the EAP for me. Park, open door, close door, drive does reset. I'm in a '18 M3LR if that matters.

greatly exceed the speed limit just because other cars are doing so. You are stuck with having to anticipate that and either be ready with your foot on the accelerator, or do what I do and when you pass the speed limit sign that would drop the speed, be ready to flick the right thumb wheel up. If you time it correctly, it will actually just resume the current speed.
This is very interesting - So your system never restricts you to a max of 5 MPH over in certain areas and you can always scroll up to increase your max anywhere? My mind is blown. My car will NOT allow for me to do this in those three specific zones. Doens't matter what I do, when I do it, or how much I scroll up, or what percentage over the limit I have it set in the menu, it will stay locked at only allowing 5 over in those specific zones. What car do you use?

@ewoodrick maybe I need a brighter blue flash, or for the screen to be higher up? I did look for a tilting screen kit that would NOT lower the screen further but came up short so I never bought one. The blue flashes are not very noticable. My screen did come with a crack in it so I wonder if that affects things - I didn't think so though. I only drive in the daytime if that matters, and it just so happens that my commute is partially into the sun. I don't always notice the blue flashes on the screen.

-Paul

I wasn't applying enough steering pressure to the wheel
To be clear, the car needs a gentle pressure of rotation applied to the wheel. I just wanted to make sure you weren't pushing the wheel or squeezing or any such thing. You'll be able to feel resistance to your gentle turning pressure.

Note that you can also rotate the thumb wheel on the left side a click to clear the nag (or even preempt it). It's the volume control knob, and it will turn the music on in the car if you mess with it. I understand that you're deaf, but I doubt you want to be driving around while blasting music.
I assume the system beeps to inform the driver
First, there's a message band displayed in black. If you don't respond to that, the top of the screen starts to pulse in blue. If you don't respond to that, then it generates an audible alarm. The expectation is that you'll notice the black band or the pulsing blue in your peripheral vision. and then nudge the wheel with the needed gentle rotation.

RTPEV, yes, the ability to take the offramp/onramp is what I'm missing. It does a great job of taking my final off-ramp on the H1 in the morning as well as the H1 off-Ramp onto the Pali Highway in the afternoon (before it disengages due to not being what Tesla considers to be a highway), so my experience experience with NOA taking off ramps have been positive.

Putting the car into park and then back into drive does not reset the EAP for me. Park, open door, close door, drive does reset. I'm in a '18 M3LR if that matters.

This is very interesting - So your system never restricts you to a max of 5 MPH over in certain areas and you can always scroll up to increase your max anywhere? My mind is blown. My car will NOT allow for me to do this in those three specific zones. Doens't matter what I do, when I do it, or how much I scroll up, or what percentage over the limit I have it set in the menu, it will stay locked at only allowing 5 over in those specific zones. What car do you use?

@ewoodrick maybe I need a brighter blue flash, or for the screen to be higher up? I did look for a tilting screen kit that would NOT lower the screen further but came up short so I never bought one. The blue flashes are not very noticable. My screen did come with a crack in it so I wonder if that affects things - I didn't think so though. I only drive in the daytime if that matters, and it just so happens that my commute is partially into the sun. I don't always notice the blue flashes on the screen.

-Paul
The blue flash is at the top of the screen around the speedometer. Get someone to watch the screen as you drive. They can show you where the black box appears (middle bottom of left screen. And then where the blue flashes are.

When you have to get out of the car to reset EAP, you have received a strike. Not sure about EAP, but with FSD you are only allowed 5 strikes before FSD is disabled for a few weeks. A strike is a bad thing and if you were to have Tesla insurance, your premiums would be outrageous,

I'm in a 2018 M3LR with FSD and I don't get the 5 mph limits anymore, that went away a long time ago AFAIK

View attachment 944087
What is it? What guides your car from on ramp to off ramp? I'm seriously confused what you're talking about here.