Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

User Annoyed That EAP Won’t Work On His Highway Commute - How To Fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla doesn't recode those stretches, you will continue getting that 5 MPH limitation even with FSD beta. Some say the 5 MPH restriction is lifted in FSD beta, but not in my experience. So, it might just be a matter of random codings and not a universal generalized capability.
Where on FSD Beta is limited to only 5 mph over? I've never seen it; not in 40k miles, not in videos, anywhere.

edit: I'll correct myself, 11.4.X update will restrict speed in the rain, but I supposed that's better than disabling itself, but that's the only scenario I've seen and it's recent.

What is it? What guides your car from on ramp to off ramp? I'm seriously confused what you're talking about here.
What are you conflating (confusing) unrelated threads? I kindly asked you to respond about something else you posted in the V11.x Beta thread.

I'm in a 2018 M3LR with FSD and I don't get the 5 mph limits anymore, that went away a long time ago AFAIK

That in itself would be worth selling and buying a different car that has FSD built in. That 5 mph limit in certain stretches is absurd. There are places where AP is fine with going the speed limit but I'm not and I turn it down with the scroll wheel. But there are those stretches where I am not fine with how slowly AP will allow the car to go.
What is it? What guides your car from on ramp to off ramp? I'm seriously confused what you're talking about here.
He's talking about my EAP using NOA to drive itself onto a freeway and then take a freeway exit. Not sure what's confusing here?

I understand that you're deaf, but I doubt you want to be driving around while blasting music.
You have no idea... The stories I could tell about me driving by, showing up somewhere, or being pulled over with inappropriate music blasting and my not knowing at all... :oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: JulienW
What are you conflating (confusing) unrelated threads? I kindly asked you to respond about something else you posted in the V11.x Beta thread.

Who is "they"?
That's weird. I thought you were conflating this post from a completely different thread.

RTPEV, yes, the ability to take the offramp/onramp is what I'm missing. It does a great job of taking my final off-ramp on the H1 in the morning as well as the H1 off-Ramp onto the Pali Highway in the afternoon (before it disengages due to not being what Tesla considers to be a highway), so my experience experience with NOA taking off ramps have been positive.
So if I understand you correctly, the problem is it won't take the ramp from Pali Highway to H-1? And that's it?

Putting the car into park and then back into drive does not reset the EAP for me. Park, open door, close door, drive does reset. I'm in a '18 M3LR if that matters.
I've done this in a '18 M3LR as well as a '21 MYLR. Granted, I've only been "locked out" twice. Once for accelerating above 80mph to get around a car as another was fast approaching from behind (this was many software revs ago -- Nov '21, so likely not necessarily valid any more). I can't remember the circumstances of why I got locked out the second time, but I was in stop & go traffic, so I took the opportunity when fully stopped to shift into Park and then back to Drive and FSDb was re-enabled for me. Granted, this could have been different because it was FSDb and not EAP, and maybe the severity matters.

This is very interesting - So your system never restricts you to a max of 5 MPH over in certain areas and you can always scroll up to increase your max anywhere? My mind is blown. My car will NOT allow for me to do this in those three specific zones. Doens't matter what I do, when I do it, or how much I scroll up, or what percentage over the limit I have it set in the menu, it will stay locked at only allowing 5 over in those specific zones. What car do you use?
This is the case in both my Model 3 and Model Y. Of course there may be special cases, but I've never noticed a hard restriction. Yes, the car wants to slow down on some stretches, and in road realignment construction zones sometimes it wants to slow dangerously down to 25mph on a 55mph road, but it always lets me adjust to whatever speed I want, however, this may be another difference between "highway" and "city streets" EAP. Although just this past week I have been using FSDb on a divided road (not a highway) where traffic flows 10-20 mph above, and I had no trouble setting it to 10 above.

@ewoodrick maybe I need a brighter blue flash, or for the screen to be higher up? I did look for a tilting screen kit that would NOT lower the screen further but came up short so I never bought one. The blue flashes are not very noticable. My screen did come with a crack in it so I wonder if that affects things - I didn't think so though. I only drive in the daytime if that matters, and it just so happens that my commute is partially into the sun. I don't always notice the blue flashes on the screen.

-Paul

What is your technique? Do you drive hands off and only touch the wheel when prompted? Or do you apply a constant torque? I apply a constant slight torque (just enough to feel the resistance) and I hardly ever get nagged. Maybe you just need to practice and fine tune your touch.

So if I understand you correctly, the problem is it won't take the ramp from Pali Highway to H-1? And that's it?
That is the current daily problem I have. I also had expected EAP to handle the other highway ramps on the island, but I’m learning that this is not going to be the case at all. Only Freeway ramps.
This is the case in both my Model 3 and Model Y. Of course there may be special cases, but I've never noticed a hard restriction. Yes, the car wants to slow down on some stretches, and in road realignment construction zones sometimes it wants to slow dangerously down to 25mph on a 55mph road, but it always lets me adjust to whatever speed I want, however, this may be another difference between "highway" and "city streets" EAP. Although just this past week I have been using FSDb on a divided road (not a highway) where traffic flows 10-20 mph above, and I had no trouble setting it to 10 above.
I’ll try to remember to take a video clip showing this recurring hard restriction issue although from what I’m gathering, it’s not going to be an issue if I go to at FSDb if not FSD.
What is your technique? Do you drive hands off and only touch the wheel when prompted? Or do you apply a constant torque? I apply a constant slight torque (just enough to feel the resistance) and I hardly ever get nagged. Maybe you just need to practice and fine tune your touch.
Left elbow on door armrest, left hand resting on side of the steering wheel or thereabouts. Apparently my hand isn’t heavy enough. I’m able to avoid triggering the warning by applying upward or downward pressure every 15-20 seconds but I find it annoying to have to remember to do so. That’s why I threw an ankle weight on the steering wheel and the problem is now mostly solved. I would much prefer it if I did not need to do this though as sometimes I forget it’s there when I get to the city streets and I have an ankle weight flopping around on the steering wheel as I’m making sharp turns and can’t quickly remove it.

-Paul

That is the current daily problem I have. I also had expected EAP to handle the other highway ramps on the island, but I’m learning that this is not going to be the case at all. Only Freeway ramps.
Correct. What you are desiring is an FSD function. If you think it's worth the money to have the car (poorly) take those turns/ramps for you, then you should go for it. Frankly though, I don't think it's there (yet).

Left elbow on door armrest, left hand resting on side of the steering wheel or thereabouts. Apparently my hand isn’t heavy enough. I’m able to avoid triggering the warning by applying upward or downward pressure every 15-20 seconds but I find it annoying to have to remember to do so. That’s why I threw an ankle weight on the steering wheel and the problem is now mostly solved. I would much prefer it if I did not need to do this though as sometimes I forget it’s there when I get to the city streets and I have an ankle weight flopping around on the steering wheel as I’m making sharp turns and can’t quickly remove it.

Being able to avoid the nag possibly came easily to me because I always felt that the car was too far to the left (turned out not to be the case as confirmed by my wife one day who was directly behind me and I asked if the car was centered in the lane--it was) so I was always exerting a little torque on the wheel with my right hand anyway.

My suggestion is to try out a more constant torque on the wheel rather than trying to give it a jerk ever 15-20 seconds. It really doesn't take much, and it's possibly safer because you're halfway there to assuming control if you need to. If I'm passing a car on the left, I'm usually applying a bit of left torque, and vice versa for being passed on the left. It's quite natural for me, and I think with practice you'll get the right amount of torque. Again, it really doesn't take much.

Hi, @Deaf Paul! Welcome to the forums!

First: If you haven't done this already, here's Tesla's description of the different flavors of Autopilot. Starting from the top:
  1. Autopilot. Everybody gets this. You get:
    1. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control. Somebody slows down, even to a halt: You slow down and/or stop, too. Great for traffic jams.
    2. Autosteer. If you're in a clearly marked lane (or, maybe, even a not-so-clearly marked lane), the car will steer to stay in the middle. Great for limited access highways, good for local highways, somewhat problematical for roads sans painted lanes.
  2. Enhanced Autopilot. My S.O. has this on her 2021 MY. You get the Autopilot and:
    1. Navigate on Autopilot (NoA).
      1. Say one is on a non-limited access highway and taking the on-ramp to a limited access highway. Get in the on-ramp, double-swipe the shift lever, and the car will get onto the interstate. It may or may not handle the on-ramp onto the interstate perfectly: See below.
      2. Say one is on a limited access highway and is switching to another limited access highway. (Say, I80 to I87 or something). If one is in the rightmost lane, the car will go onto the off-ramp, navigate the off-ramp to the new highway, and merge (see below) onto the new limited access highway.
      3. Finally, say one is on a limited access highway and one's desired destination exit is present. The car will turn into the off-ramp, then tell you the rest is up to you. Autopilot (see above) will be what you get.
    2. Auto Lane Change. If one is on a limited access highway, the car will (options are up to you) boop or message you and suggest a lane to switch to. Hit the turn signal and it'll switch lanes. It's also possible to let it do this on its own, with or without boops. But this is only on a limited access highway.
    3. Autopark. Current versions will do that.
    4. Summon. If people are really close, or you want to back the car out of the garage, one can get the car to come out of the garage using the app.
    5. Smart Summon. I've tried using this a few times. Range is, like, 100 yards, and it's Parking Lots Only. However: If it runs into something, you're responsible. Too risky for my blood at the moment, although I've verified that it does work. (In an empty parking lot with nobody else around.)
  3. FSD (non-beta). Everything in EAP and Autopilot and:
    1. Will stop at stop signs. Will stop at all traffic lights, unless the car is following somebody through the traffic light, in which case it'll follow the car in front of one. It's possible with a stop sign to get the car to go straight ahead and turn right or left, but it's probably faster if you do it.
    2. Upcoming: FSD-Beta. City Streets. Eventually, everybody with FSD will get the full city streets version. At this time, in this place: One can ask to join the Beta program and you'll get (a) more stress and (b) 90%+ of the time, it'll take you places at your random choice. The 10%? That's when you find out that it's a Beta. My 2018 M3 LR RWD has all the appropriate upgrades; a few years ago I sprung $6k for the package; and yeah, that's my daily driver.
    3. Just so we're clear on this: The current Beta is a Beta. I'm not kidding: Just yesterday it attempted, after a full stop at a red light, to run that red light. Most of the time it doesn't do idiot stuff like that. But on any given day, it requires a couple-three interventions to prevent other drivers from going nutso around one, keep sheet metal from being bent, and, occasionally, to prevent serious injury or death. Tesla's words on the subject: "The car will do the worst thing at the wrong time."
    4. Going on in this vein: The current versions out there (11.3.6 and 11.4.2) are vastly improved from the versions that people were using a year ago. People do report going over a hundred miles without an intervention. When it's working, it's 'way cool. But one has to expect that, at any moment, at any time, it may do Something Stupid. You Have Been Warned.
Next: In all the various flavors of Autopilot, exactly none of them have the ability to run around the landscape without the driver paying attention. Or the driver sleeping. Or reading a book. And, at this time, in this place, none of the other car manufacturers' (GM, Ford, VW, etc., etc.) can do any of that either. ALL of them have some scheme to verify that the driver is awake and ready to take over.

GM, Ford, and, I think, VW, put in an infrared camera in the cabin whose purpose is to track one's eyeballs and verify that said eyeballs are looking out the front. There is, in my opinion, a bit of a problem with that. Say one has one's hands up and behind one's back, doing a stretch, when the Demon Semi from $BAD_PLACE makes an appearance at speed from the right. Just... how fast can one get one's hands up front and on the steering wheel, anyway?

Tesla has decided to do two things: 1) Measure the vibrating torque on the steering wheel caused by one or a pair of hands. 2) A camera that may or may not be infrared pointed into the cabin that attempts to make sure one is looking out the window.

With #1, I put one hand on the wheel and let it rest there. The usual jostling around in the car causes enough variable torque to keep the car happy. Alternatively, one can put both hands on the wheel, then gently go back and forth. That works, too.

I kind of like this better than Ford/GM/VW, because, if The Evil Semi appears, one has one's hands where they can do the most good.

With #2: It's easy. Don't stare at the screen while trying to figure out how to use the streaming services. A quick open it up, peck whatever option one is after, then back to business works.

With either of the above: You'll first get a message, then a boop, then the car visualization area will start flashing blue. This can be seen, handily, out of the corner of one's eye, so to speak: At which point, torquing the wheel in another direction will fix the problem. Don't do anything: You'll get a demerit. Too many demerits and you won't be able to use the Autopilot until it resets. Which, at the present time, is roughly a week.

As far as which to pick: At this time, EAP is probably the biggest bang for the buck. The SO and I make trips up and down the East Coast on a regular basis. EAP and NoA on the interstates makes the trip, even in traffic, somewhat more restful and very definitely safer. (The car will slam the brakes on and halt faster than a human will, something that's saved our collective butts a couple of times. Further, the blind spot cameras will literally prevent one from changing lanes into another car.)

FSD, non-beta, does provide a little fun on local roads and highways. But it's not a full driving solution and won't do NoA on local roads. As you may have figured by now, I'm kind of a nerd, like new and shiny stuff, would like to see the full package up to robo-taxi, don't mind helping Tesla get to its aims, and further don't mind staying alert all the time for idiocy. It's kind of like driving around with a 17-year-old particularly stupid student driver.. but, heck, I've worked with student drivers before. You can rent it for a month and see if you like it; but you've got EAP and most of the benefits already.

Reactions: EVNow and Deaf Paul

-Paul
As you've indicated, that's probably not going to cut it. You need to leave a pull on the wheel, Resting the arm on the armrest is going to remove the tug. Lift your hand higher on the wheel and pull the hand off the armrest. Or use the right hand and let it hang.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
I’ll try to remember to take a video clip showing this recurring hard restriction issue although from what I’m gathering, it’s not going to be an issue if I go to at FSDb if not FSD.

Took a video this morning on my way to work showing that there was not a hard limit on the max speed (can be adjusted up via scroll wheel) but shortly after making that left turn onto a new road (two lane divided in each direction) the max became 35 MPh and could not be exceed whatsoever unless I press the go-go pedal. Cars regularly travel 50-60 here in this stretch despite the posted 30 and 35 mph speed limit signs on this stretch of the road.

-Paul

Took a video this morning on my way to work showing that there was not a hard limit on the max speed (can be adjusted up via scroll wheel) but shortly after making that left turn onto a new road (two lane divided in each direction) the max became 35 MPh and could not be exceed whatsoever unless I press the go-go pedal. Cars regularly travel 50-60 here in this stretch despite the posted 30 and 35 mph speed limit signs on this stretch of the road.

-Paul
That looks to be an old functionality that got removed, or at least removed in FSB. There was indeed a frustrating limit, I think that it was in NoA code that did this.

What software are you on?

-Paul
Not sure I understand. The posted speed is 30. Just because others like to go double that speed does that make Tesla software wrong? There is always the option to drive in “law breaker” mode by simply turning off the software. Then you can go 100 if you wish. There is (from memory) also a setting to allow override to 5 based on posted Or as set. Don’t recall exact setting.

Not sure I understand. The posted speed is 30. Just because others like to go double that speed does that make Tesla software wrong? There is always the option to drive in “law breaker” mode by simply turning off the software. Then you can go 100 if you wish. There is (from memory) also a setting to allow override to 5 based on posted Or as set. Don’t recall exact setting.
You can go over 5 mph with FSD Beta, not with AP/EAP/FSD except for divided highways/freeways.

FSD Beta allows you to go as fast as you want, anywhere, except in inclement weather.

Last edited:
You can only go over 5 mph with FSD Beta, not with AP/EAP/FSD except for divided highways/freeways.

FSD Beta allows you to go as fast as you want, anywhere, except in inclement weather.
Um. Think you've got that reversed or something. FSD-b, which I've got, allows one to set the scroll-wheel speed to anything one might like, local roads or limited access highways.

I'm pretty sure EAP limits the speed to 5 mph over the posted limit on local (non limited access highway) roads. On limited access highways, one can set it as fast as one likes.

Not sure about FSD, non-Beta.

Um. Think you've got that reversed or something. FSD-b, which I've got, allows one to set the scroll-wheel speed to anything one might like, local roads or limited access highways.

I'm pretty sure EAP limits the speed to 5 mph over the posted limit on local (non limited access highway) roads. On limited access highways, one can set it as fast as one likes.

Not sure about FSD, non-Beta.
I meant to say you can go over 5 mph with Beta anywhere.

There are no limits with Beta that I've seen.

You can go over 5 mph with FSD Beta, not with AP/EAP/FSD except for divided highways/freeways.

ACTUALLY…. My EAP lets me set my max speed to anything in MOST locations, including local roads. It’s just two stretches on my commute (the first being about 3/4 mile and the second being about 3 miles where it drops the max allowed speed to only 5 over and will not let me exceed it unless I press the go-pedal.

I checked my software during lunch break and I’m at: V11.1 (2023.12.9 c000ed66c312) and NA-2022.28-14046 with an option to update the navigation data to NA-2022.44-14515

Does the above matter?

-Paul