Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Carvana to Trade-In, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may not be the best place to post this, but here I go. Given my appraisal from Tesla for my trade in dropped 25% between March and June, I'm looking at alternatives. I could sell private, but that's time consuming. I've done a few online offers and by far, Carvana has come back with a more than fair offer for my trade, 2018 X3, 29k miles, very clean. I'm expected to take delivery of my MY sometime next week so looking to trade sometime between now and then. I'm curious if anyone has experience with trading in a car to Carvana and what that was like. Mainly, the offer is so good, I'm curious if they give that to you then come out to get the car and do the in person inspection, only to ding you for very small things so then the value drops. I was honest in my information to them and the car is clean, but it's on the verge of needing new tires, a small amount of curb rash on one rim (didn't mention this) and needs a nice polish/buff, but outside of that, no notable flaws. From what I read, as long as the car is pretty much as mentioned, they do a quick look over of the car, check the VIN, check the mileage, check that there are no warning lights on and then drive off.

• Love
Reactions: Les Mann
Funny that you post this. I have Carvana coming out tomorrow morning at 8am to pick up my VW Atlas. Their offer, by far, exceeded all others. What strange is, I first got a quote from them about 2 months ago just out of curiosity. They offered me $27k. Ugh...still better than what Tesla offered at $24.

I waited about four weeks and ordered my MY and received another quote from Carvana. This time, it was $29.5. But due to issues with my title still not in my hand because I had recently paid it off, I was unable to sell it to Carvana because of the lack of physical title.

Fast forward to this past Monday and I decided to get another quote. This time, the quote went up again to $31.4k! Over a $4,000 increase by waiting about 1.5 months! Carmax low-balled me at $27k.

Anyways, hopefully things go quickly tomorrow morning. It’s been a great experience so far.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
And she's gone! By far the easiest car selling experience. Couple that with Tesla's easiest buying experience, it makes this car thing much easier.
EC7CFC0C-7E47-49AA-B1B8-1A21B24CAFDF.jpeg

And she's gone! By far the easiest car selling experience. Couple that with Tesla's easiest buying experience, it makes this car thing much easier.
View attachment 565172

So what all did they do when they picked it up? Did they inspect it, drive it, etc? I’m curious how quickly they pay things off.

And yea, mine has gone up $2k in just a couple weeks, but I also know newer, low mileage, luxury cars are selling really high on the used car market. I’m getting almost $31k for mine when Tesla offered me $24k. I know Tesla isn’t a used car dealer, but it was stupid low.

So for my pickup it was:

1. Person pulls up, drops ramp on truck
2. She hands me docs to sign, where to sign etc.
3. She walked around my vehicle, cursory look
4. No drive around - Sat in it a few minutes - then drove it straight on the truck
5. I had title in hand, so I was handed a check on the spot

My DD was a 2013 Toyota Avalon limited in “very good shape”, with 85k miles on it. No issues a detailer, and good wash and wax could not fix.

So what all did they do when they picked it up? Did they inspect it, drive it, etc? I’m curious how quickly they pay things off.

And yea, mine has gone up $2k in just a couple weeks, but I also know newer, low mileage, luxury cars are selling really high on the used car market. I’m getting almost $31k for mine when Tesla offered me $24k. I know Tesla isn’t a used car dealer, but it was stupid low.

Reactions: Hawkstrike
You guys got a better offer because they know they can still make a profit on your old car.....just like you could have.

Depends on the car. My i3 had a "market adjustment" of $2000 over blue book. I put it up for sale for $400 over Carvana's offer and got ZERO interest. Selling a car privately during a pandemic can be challenging, especially if the car is a short-range EV in a not so friendly EV area. They took my car to a location outside of Nashville, I guess they think it is more likely to sell there than Memphis.

I also can't say enough about the Carvana experience. They gave me far more than Carmax, vroom, shift, KBB, and about 6 other car dealerships were willing to give AND I only got off my couch to meet them outside my house for me to sign some forms and poof, the car got towed away on a flatbed like above.

Amazing trade-in experience to say the least.

I started with Carvana. I entered my car information via their website and got a prompt quote. It seemed low so I went to KBB and got a quote for $1.5K more than Carvana. Then I looked on Craig’s List, saw what others in my area were asking for the same car, knocked $1K off the price of the most similar car and sold mine a week later for $2K more than KBB. Craig’s List is a bit of a pain, but I got $3.5K more than when I started.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Selling to Carvana was awesome for me. I scheduled and they came to my house to pick up my car about 10 days after I got my quote. I was worried they wouldn't honor the original quote when they got here (quote says it's good for 7 days), but nothing like that happened. Process was fast and painless and they initiated a direct deposit bank transfer on the spot for the quoted amount. I was thoroughly impressed.

This may not be the best place to post this, but here I go. Given my appraisal from Tesla for my trade in dropped 25% between March and June, I'm looking at alternatives. I could sell private, but that's time consuming. I've done a few online offers and by far, Carvana has come back with a more than fair offer for my trade, 2018 X3, 29k miles, very clean. I'm expected to take delivery of my MY sometime next week so looking to trade sometime between now and then. I'm curious if anyone has experience with trading in a car to Carvana and what that was like. Mainly, the offer is so good, I'm curious if they give that to you then come out to get the car and do the in person inspection, only to ding you for very small things so then the value drops. I was honest in my information to them and the car is clean, but it's on the verge of needing new tires, a small amount of curb rash on one rim (didn't mention this) and needs a nice polish/buff, but outside of that, no notable flaws. From what I read, as long as the car is pretty much as mentioned, they do a quick look over of the car, check the VIN, check the mileage, check that there are no warning lights on and then drive off.

Sold my Red 2016 Model X in about 10 days using Cars.com and Autotrader.com. Relatively easy. Printed a Bill of Sale on line.
Came out far, far better than any wholesale offers. I once sold my Lexus SC 430 on Ebay Auto in 23 hours. Paid $30k for it. Drove it from 10K to 20k miles and sold it for $29,995. Lost $5 on that car.:(

Good to try if you have the time. Cars.com makes it very easy with picture upload and ad writing. World wide visibility. Don't be afraid to try. I have sold over 15 cars online and have yet to have a major problem. Tesla will low ball ya.

Selling to Carvana was awesome for me. I scheduled and they came to my house to pick up my car about 10 days after I got my quote. I was worried they wouldn't honor the original quote when they got here (quote says it's good for 7 days), but nothing like that happened. Process was fast and painless and they initiated a direct deposit bank transfer on the spot for the quoted amount. I was thoroughly impressed.

I thought the same thing about the 7 days, but after talking to someone at Carvana yesterday, once they’ve confirmed your documentation and approved it all, you actually have 2 weeks or up to 2k miles to turn the car in which baffles me.

So similar to others who got a follow up quote from Vroom for an additional $500 after a few days, I just got that and it puts them ahead of of Carvana by a couple hundred. Is the experience with Vroom similar to Carvana as far as getting it picked up and stuff?