Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using phone as a key. Not a good idea.

Would you rather have a regular key fob than have to use your phone all the time?

• Yes I want to have a key fob.

Votes: 92 44.9%
  • No I don't want a key fob.

Votes: 113 55.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my thoughts after having my car a little over a couple weeks:

1. I was concerned about the reliability of my phone being used as a key. It has worked consistently since I got the car. I have never had it not work to open the doors. I have an iPhone X and the integration is flawless. I know that I might have some problem but it hasn't failed me yet.
2. I am slightly annoyed at how long it takes me to get the frunk open. I have to unlock my phone, then open the app, then click the frunk button, then click 'yes' to the are you sure prompt. I wish this was easier.
3. The charge port situation is ackward. I charge at work and as a courtesy I have to go unplug when I am done charging. The problem is the car will not release my 1772 adapter unless I unlock the car. The only easy way I have found to do this without pulling my phone out of my pocket is to open a back door and shut it. I wish there was a way to get the charge port to unlock without having to open a door or take my phone out of my pocket (maybe there is one but I have been missing it).
4. I got a Model S loaner yesterday and frankly I am annoyed by the fob. I really don't like having the extra thing in my pocket besides my wallet and phone. Even though opening the frunk on the Model S and being able to click things quickly on the fob I don't like having the extra small thing in my pocket. I have gotten used to not having keys or fobs in my pocket and I love that!

With that said I usually don't pull my phone out when I am in the car. The car does everything I want and I prefer not to text at all when I am driving. I can call/etc... with the screen so I don't miss the phone being in my pocket when I drive so I don't have the issue of leaving it in the car. I do sometimes put it in the cradle on long trips because I want it to charge and I did forget to grab it so I had to go back into the car to get it but that is very infrequent and I used to do that with my old car because I don't like leaving my phone in the car even to walk into a quick store because I am afraid someone will break into my car to get my phone.
Why do you need to take your phone out of your pocket for anything?

If you are using Android, switch to iPhone. It works great !

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Someone please start selling aftermarket Fobs so this argument is moot ;)

I'd spend $50 on one.

even if all it did was unlock the car (no trunk/etc).... I think it would sell to people who want the little fobbo, and those who don't... don't need to buy it :)

Problem solved. Crisis averted. Let's tackle another issue. Namely where is my model Y already?!
I doubt this is doable without support from Tesla - the third party making the fob would need access to encryption keys that only Tesla can provide.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Joe
The only easy way I have found to do this without pulling my phone out of my pocket is to open a back door and shut it. I wish there was a way to get the charge port to unlock without having to open a door or take my phone out of my pocket (maybe there is one but I have been missing it).

Just push the back door handle in a tiny bit. The car will sense it and unlock but the door won't unlatch.

So what’s the problem w/ cash, atm card and keycard in your pocket? I know change is difficult for some people, but this doesn’t seem like a big deal.
You're seriously going to tell people WHO ARE BUYING AN ELECTRIC CAR that they're afraid of change?

Some of us just want GOOD change. Not change just for the sake of having some unreliable new toy.

Why do you need to take your phone out of your pocket for anything?

If you are using Android, switch to iPhone. It works great !

I take my phone out of my pocket on the way to the car to start the temperature control or if I need to pop the frunk. I actually use the frunk more than I thought because whenever I bring home food or fresh roasted coffee I put it in the frunk because I am trying to preserve my new car smell as long as possible.

• Funny
Reactions: Icer and Pkmmte
Configure your phone to be the key, then log out of the app so it's disabled (but can be turned on if needed). Purchase a small cover for the key card (so it has a loop for hanging on a keychain, like the fob), and use that as your primary key, just like a fob but with out the click.

The main downsides are that you have to take the keycard out of your pocket to use it, and can't open the trunk without first unlocking the car.

Your phone can then be the backup key, if the card is lost.
The key card is inferior to a fob in many ways. The phone key is inferior to a fob in many other ways. Tesla replaced one superior solution with two inferior ones. INNOVATION!

For many people the phone key is superior to a fob.
Many deluded people who are kidding themselves. Some people are just so hyped to have something newer and techier than their neighbors that they're willing to overlook obvious problems with it.
This was a system designed to seem super cool, not designed for long term or rock solid reliability.
Imagine, in the year 2030, trying to get your 2030 phone to work with a 2018 car. Have fun with that.

The key card is inferior to a fob in many ways. The phone key is inferior to a fob in many other ways. Tesla replaced one superior solution with two inferior ones. INNOVATION!
Agreed. So the question is which is least objectionable...

There's another thread with a poll on whether Tesla will eventually offer a key fob for the Model 3. My bet is that they will. But, when?
For many people the phone key is superior to a fob.
It certainly can be, but you have to fit the precise use case that Tesla programmed the system to. We lack an API in our heads for the car to read, so the car's actions are at best a guess at what we intend to do / need. If it happens to guess right (and everything else is working), it's magic. If not, it's anything from frustrating to dangerous (consider the sketchy parking garage case...).

Give me a fob, so I can make my directives explicit, clear, and reliable.

Many deluded people who are kidding themselves. Some people are just so hyped to have something newer and techier than their neighbors that they're willing to overlook obvious problems with it.
This was a system designed to seem super cool, not designed for long term or rock solid reliability.
Imagine, in the year 2030, trying to get your 2030 phone to work with a 2018 car. Have fun with that.

My Bluetooth phone from 2017 (pixel 1) would work with a 1994 car with Bluetooth. That is greater time distance than what you have written.

Reactions: Pkmmte

I understand that some people really are having problems with the lack of key fob. But to say people who like the system, like myself, are deluded or hyped, is painting everyone with a fairly large brush. It really does work for me and some things are not ideal but honestly there are negatives to most design decisions and some will and some will not like those decisions. I can understand why some want a fob option and I think they should be able to get a fob. I actually like the lack of fob and think it is a step forward in progress for me.

Regardless this is the way the world is moving. I can now pay for my lunch with my phone after a run, I can start my chargepoint charge at work every day with my phone, I use my phone to check into hotel rooms. It is becoming everything I need to the point I won't need a wallet soon. I am happy that a car company is at least trying the approach and even though it has bugs I believe those can and will get worked out. And as long as they maintain support and use standard technologies to accomplish that I am not worried about lack of support for the lifetime of my car.

I understand why the OP does not want to carry his phone everywhere. They are a little heavy and bulky. I use an iphone 10 and while it is a reasonable size it is significantly heavier that the phone it replaced.

I Asia I noticed that cell phones have become a must have on you device. They use it for walking around directions, ways to locate their friends, payment for most everything from lunch to parking. They check their phones to see where available parking is and the price. They check the weather constantly, check traffic, send small amounts of money to friends and service providers. They constantly document what they had for a meal, where they have been and what they are planning to do. They will check the menu at local restaruants. See how long the wait is to be served. Make reservations on the wat to restaurants. They summon Uber/Lift, check on movie times, make phone calls, but many more IMs. Any spare moment they are checking on emails, insta grams, tweets etc. They see how long until their EV or scooter is fully charged.

So many more things as well. They are welded to these devices. They sit next to each other, but still communicate via smart phone.

Seems like we should be able to walk from our vehicles to a workout at the gym without taking it with us.

Mine hasn't worked like that. I tried that because I saw someone post about that. It does nothing then unlocks and pops the door. Maybe I am missing something?

Who knows. Maybe mine is the one that doesn't work right, but happens to be more convenient.

What they need to do is add pushing the charger to the wake up and check for a phone routines.

I've had my Model 3 for three days, and I'm already tired of the phone as a key fob idea. I want a regular key fob like my 2011 Challenger R/T had. When I leave the house in the morning, I put it in my pocket and forget it, never touch it until I come home from work in the evening.

Using the phone as a key fob is too much hassle. It's too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. I have to unplug and take my phone into stores with me ALL THE TIME NOW, or the car won't lock. And if anything ever happens to my phone (a 3-1/2 year old Galaxy S5), then what? I don't always have a key card with me.

Tesla, give us the option to buy an ordinary key fob and use that.
Isn't the keycard just like a fob, only lighter/smaller?

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
Regardless this is the way the world is moving.
That's a really bad justification. We're also moving towards zero privacy. That's not good either.
The world only moves towards bad thing because no one stands up and says its wrong.
The more your entire life is reliant on tech, the more time you spend troubleshooting tech, and the more screwed you are when tech fails.

Isn't the keycard just like a fob, only lighter/smaller?
Not really. The card must be retrieved, a wallet flashed, the card is then carefully used, and then stowed. The (Toyota) fob just sits in your pocket untouched. You're walking up to your car? It unlocks. You're pressing the start button? It goes.
Really not much more to say about this. I hope Tesla figures out how to solve the annoying phone issues for those who are having them, or absent that, issues a fob with a nice little note: We tried.
Robin