Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Supercharging (nearly exclusively) amidst Covid-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the scenario, I sold my home in January 2020 and in a rental home for next 6 months while we build new. That means my home charging options are gone other than 110v which isn’t a suitable option. Until Covid-19 I would frequently drive to a local coffee shop or restaurant area that had level 2 chargers which wasn’t ideal but doable.

Now that all these options are closed or take too long for me to sit in the car waiting for enough charge bc the restaurants/coffee houses are closed, I’ve moved to once a week supercharging. I try to go when I’m low enough to hopefully not screw with the BMS so try to be in that 10-20% range and charge to 90-95% since the charger is about 15 miles away.

My question is concerning battery health. Does this cause long term issues? I’ve read both sides of the coin here so wanted to get more recent data. Also I know it recommended from time to time to reset the BMS every so often to do those 10-100% resets? Not sure if it is better to do that on level 2 chargers instead and not the higher current of the super chargers, although the available KW’s drop off significantly and the closer the battery gets to a full charge.

First question is why are you driving so much or at all? Keep the car between 20-90/95 as you are driving after a charge and you should be fine. Even 15% is not a big deal on the way there at times. If you have not charged to 100% in about 6 months it's fine to do so but do not stop charging at 100% wait for the car to stop charging completely. Don't worry about the SC charge rates it's not a big deal for ANY SOC up to 100% if anyone tells you otherwise it's nonsense. You are not going to do any long term damage to your pack.

First question is why are you driving so much or at all? Keep the car between 20-90/95 as you are driving after a charge and you should be fine. Even 15% is not a big deal on the way there at times. If you have not charged to 100% in about 6 months it's fine to do so but do not stop charging at 100% wait for the car to stop charging completely. Don't worry about the SC charge rates it's not a big deal for ANY SOC up to 100% if anyone tells you otherwise it's nonsense. You are not going to do any long term damage to your pack.

not driving that much really but until the last few days it’s been winter conditions here and no garage which means i have a cold soaked battery pack almost daily which takes range to heat up for any driving needs. 110v will often not even charge at all for hours due to cold if at all. Plus I do have sentry mode on (although off at home address) which i assume takes range too. However on a positive note, I recently left my vehicle home and outside with 30-50 degree weather the entire week while i was out of town and lost only 7 miles of range is a week which i thought was fantastic. This combats my approximately 290 miles at 100% BMS estimate although I’ve never charged to 100%. (Switched to % vs miles a month ago to not constantly obsess over miles lost).

Here’s the scenario, I sold my home in January 2020 and in a rental home for next 6 months while we build new. That means my home charging options are gone other than 110v which isn’t a suitable option. Until Covid-19 I would frequently drive to a local coffee shop or restaurant area that had level 2 chargers which wasn’t ideal but doable.

Now that all these options are closed or take too long for me to sit in the car waiting for enough charge bc the restaurants/coffee houses are closed, I’ve moved to once a week supercharging. I try to go when I’m low enough to hopefully not screw with the BMS so try to be in that 10-20% range and charge to 90-95% since the charger is about 15 miles away.

My question is concerning battery health. Does this cause long term issues? I’ve read both sides of the coin here so wanted to get more recent data. Also I know it recommended from time to time to reset the BMS every so often to do those 10-100% resets? Not sure if it is better to do that on level 2 chargers instead and not the higher current of the super chargers, although the available KW’s drop off significantly and the closer the battery gets to a full charge.
I would look into options to charge at 240V at your rental home. You could combine two 120V outlets on different circuits. Is the dryer near the garage on electric? That's a 240V outlet. No welding outlet in garage? Just check the panel to see what your 240V options are. You might be able to talk to the owner and come up with a solution.

Depending on how far away the Level 2 chargers are, you could drive there and park the car to charge and walk home, then walk back later when ti's near charging you can walk back? I do this in my town, it's about a 1 mile walk back and forth.

I DO a bit of sanitizing of the handle and stuff like that and of course have sentry mode activated.

I would look into options to charge at 240V at your rental home. You could combine two 120V outlets on different circuits. Is the dryer near the garage on electric? That's a 240V outlet. No welding outlet in garage? Just check the panel to see what your 240V options are. You might be able to talk to the owner and come up with a solution.

Yeah no options. Panel 100 feet away in opposite side of house basement and not paying $2000 to charge for 5 more months. One outlet in garage. Laundry on second floor. S outta luck. :)

Depending on how far away the Level 2 chargers are, you could drive there and park the car to charge and walk home, then walk back later when ti's near charging you can walk back? I do this in my town, it's about a 1 mile walk back and forth.

I DO a bit of sanitizing of the handle and stuff like that and of course have sentry mode activated.

Yes I’ve done this before. One is about 1 mile away and left and walked back before several hours later. Sometimes easier to just drive the 15 miles to supercharger and do it there in 35-40 minutes tops. Good thought though and I can start doing this again even though everything is closed around there now.

not driving that much really but until the last few days it’s been winter conditions here and no garage which means i have a cold soaked battery pack almost daily which takes range to heat up for any driving needs. 110v will often not even charge at all for hours due to cold if at all. Plus I do have sentry mode on (although off at home address) which i assume takes range too. However on a positive note, I recently left my vehicle home and outside with 30-50 degree weather the entire week while i was out of town and lost only 7 miles of range is a week which i thought was fantastic. This combats my approximately 290 miles at 100% BMS estimate although I’ve never charged to 100%. (Switched to % vs miles a month ago to not constantly obsess over miles lost).

It is spring, not winter!

The equipment to convert two 120V outlets to one is quite interesting. I come across it myself quite a while ago. But as you mentioned they need to be seperate circuits but still be near each other and ideally nothing else on them as well. Additionally the equipment is pretty expensive and has a small resale market. But I guess if fit's the requirements and there's nothing else.

People do this ALL the time (particularly if they have free supercharging... its amazing what people will do to get that free juice even if its inconvenient). Since you are only doing it for a few months, and not running a taxi business, I wouldnt worry about it in the slightest.

Just charge from whatever to 90 ish percent. More important not to charge to 100% often than worry about how many times you are supercharging.

The OP is quite capable of answering on his own and I am capable of responding to him directly nor require interpretation of his thoughts. If I wanted your answer I would ask you not him, so unless Jlindy has you as his PR person I will direct my questions to him. Thanks, Kevy
If you wanted only the OP to answer then YOU send a PM. If you post in a PUBLIC forum, you open yourself up to others responding.

I never once claimed to speak on anyone's behalf. I publicly responded to your public question. If one can't handle that, then perhaps this isn't the best place to be.