Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Turbo3 - what has Tesla changed? Looks like I'll be needing to update some message ids and decodes for my setup. Still enjoying 7.1 here.

Do you have some custom receipt files for TM-Spy? Anything you are willing to share?

Regarding V7.1. I wish I would have held off on 8. So much trouble with it. Although today I got the third update since I installed 8. Looks like they are squishing the bugs one by one. :)

New Android version 0.1.28 has been uploaded and should be available for install shortly. Adds support for a new message length Tesla recently added.

There might be additional new message lengths but since I don't have a Tesla I will need to wait for someone to test this version. If TM-Spy still hangs please take an ELM trace and send it to me.

Actually it would probably be better if someone sends me an ELM trace of this new version so I can verify that everything is working correctly.

New Android test version 0.1.29 has just been upload. It should fix the bug where TM-Spy would sometimes crash when first started after being installed.
Hi, @Turbo3 , how can I help providing ELM Trace? I found an option called Trace ELM, but can I just run the app with the option on and wait for a few minutes then send the log (where?) to you?

Hi, @Turbo3 , how can I help providing ELM Trace? I found an option called Trace ELM, but can I just run the app with the option on and wait for a few minutes then send the log (where?) to you?
There are instructions at the bottom of the built-in Application help file. After enabling an ELM trace you need to exit TM-Spy (full exit, not just switch away) then restart TM-Spy at which point you should see the word "Logging" bottom center. Let it run a few minutes while connected and then send me the TRC_xxx.txt file. Full instructions in Help file.

Reactions: hiroshiy
There are instructions at the bottom of the built-in Application help file. After enabling an ELM trace you need to exit TM-Spy (full exit, not just switch away) then restart TM-Spy at which point you should see the word "Logging" bottom center. Let it run a few minutes while connected and then send me the TRC_xxx.txt file. Full instructions in Help file.
Thanks. Will do today. So I understand that it is like a diagnostic mode to create a log file.

Everything is working fine after the latest update (0.1.35)
Thanks for the update.

If in the future TM-Spy stops working again after a Tesla Firmware update please send me an ELM trace. To keep from displaying bad data TM-Spy checks to be sure the received message frames have the correct length. If Tesla changes the message length then it will look like a bad frame and be ignored.

Sometimes in newer versions of the car firmware the coder will decide to optimize a frame by shortening its length to drop unneeded bytes. Nissan did this to many of their message frames when they introduced the 2013 model year Leaf. Dropping unnecessary bytes gives a slight performance increase to the CAN bus when heavily used.

For this type of problem it is best to send me a direct email as I don't always have the time to follow all the forums.