Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to enable the code in the Android version to work with the LELink. Since it is Bluetooth 4.0 LE there is no pairing. It will only work with Android apps that understand Bluetooth 4.0 LE which is totally different from regular Bluetooth despite having a similar name. Programming it is very different.

I need to enable the code in the Android version to work with the LELink. Since it is Bluetooth 4.0 LE there is no pairing. It will only work with Android apps that understand Bluetooth 4.0 LE which is totally different from regular Bluetooth despite having a similar name. Programming it is very different.

Also, I found this to determine if your android device is bt BLE compatible... Likely is, though might want to check. BLE Checker - Android Apps on Google Play

Very nice tool Turbo3!!!
Love the concept of pre-defined graphs, DC-2-DC, Cells charging...all answering questions curious minds had.

Looking at other CAN data graphing threads on TMC, the big question I haven't seen anyone ask/discussed yet...
Will it always be limited to record one or two values at the same time?
Is that a hardware limitation of these Bluetooth dongles?

Your basic ELM has only one filter and is normally limited to 300-250 frames per second throughput. The first versions of TM-Spy support defining only a single Message ID and at the moment up to 2 plots but that can easily be increased to four plots if there are single message IDs with that much data to look at.

There are other more advanced OBDII adapters with more filters. If I recall correctly the ones that support the STI command set support three filters. The GoPoint adapters support even more filters. But we must walk before we run so only one MsgID for now.

Version 0.0.22 for Android is available for testing.

Also, I now have the Adapter, the LELink Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) dongle,
and an iOS device (a slightly injured iPad 3 kindly donated) ...
so, I am ready, with TestFlight installed, to test the iOS version
when it is ready for a first release.

Thanks, Mike for your kindness!
Cheers, Gary

Thanks to Chris TX for the cable, I was able to connect my 60 with TM Spy. Here are the cell voltages as the car sat last night and after charging this AM.

Screenshot_2016-03-16-22-32-00.png Screenshot_2016-03-17-07-35-42.png

I was not able to figure out how to view/graph pack power.

Last edited:
Looks like you added 22 kWh to the battery, going from about 40% to 80% ...
can that be correct ... oh, a 60 kWh battery x 40% = 24 kWh if all 60 was usable.
So, seems reasonable.

Swipe left or right on the cell voltages to change to the 2nd screen, then
tap the 2nd screen to cycle between the cell voltage histogram, the 32
cell temperatures (two from each module), and the data gathering and
graphing display.

Touch-hold the upper right corner of the screen to get hints, and to the
main menu to see Settings, Help, Select-Dongle, and Exit.

Good Work. Rather exciting to see "inside" one's own car, right?

Good Work. Rather exciting to see "inside" one's own car, right?
It is, thanks for the helpful tips. I was able to view the other screens, which all worked correctly except that the data gathering/power display said that it was "waiting for data".

Edit - Now I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on when to force a cell balance. I rarely have a need to range charge, so will plan to just force them periodically based on the mV spread.

@Turbo3 Is there any chance I could sign up for the iOS beta as well, I'm getting back from vacation soon and will be able to test the Android version but it might be nice to do a comparison, plus my iOS device is my main one
To become a tester for the iOS version of TM-Spy just send an email to [email protected] listing the email address that the TestFlight invitation should be sent to.

The initial release of TM-Spy for iOS will not have graphing enabled as I am still working on that. Should be out tomorrow if iTunes approves it.

Several of us are ready to try the first Beta version of TM-Spy for iOS.

Presumably, an email to to our designated "tester" address will contain a TestFlight Invitation Code, which we will "Redeem" using the TestFlight app (which you should already have installed on yout iOS device).

Bait for fishes: From a debugging screenshot of the Alpha iOS TM-Spy, I saw three variables (from one msgID) being graphed. Rumor is, we might be able to graph up to 4 variables from one msgID ... in a user-specified Recipe.

(Update: Apple just approved for testing.)

I have eight testers currently signed up (Mike, Rick, Liam, Ben, Dan, Mark, Gary, Zane). Keep in mind that this release has not been tested on a Tesla yet. Only the graphing function on my Leaf and that function has been disabled on this initial release. So this may end up just a test of the release process with a dead app on arrival. We will see.

Apple can also reject this release for any number of reasons. In which case I will need to address them and submit again.

Since Apple must review each and every release turnaround time for a fix is at least a day or more (they don't work on Sundays). So much slower than Android which only takes about an hour.

I would expect an answer from Apple by noon today if they are going to approve it for release.

Here is the screenshot of the new graphing function being worked on but not included in this first release.

IMG_0167.PNG

Last edited:
Just got version 0.0.1 up and running on my iPhone 6!

Thanks to Gary for the LE Link Suggestion... ChrisTX for the cable, and of course, Turbo3 for the stellar coding you're doing!

I am guessing this pack value (72.8) is a better indicator of degradation than the Rated Miles. And dang it that mine seems to be less than the other screenshots I've seen so far (I have a 2013 S85).

Turbo3, I just shared my Dropbox folder with you too.

Keep up the great work!

2016-03-19 09.40.20.png

earcandy,
Around 2.5 years driving 38.5k miles in a hot climate?

Perhaps your 72.8 kWh reading is an early indicator of the earlier battery pack's reaction to living in a hot climate. But, we need more data to make that a conclusion.

However, maybe the data we are seeing is influenced by other temporary factors, like some current very cold nights that temporarily reduce the pack's usable capacity?

Gary,
I'm sorry if I missed it in a previous post but does that Pack value come from the system or is it calculated?
If it comes from the system what is the speculation of how it is determined. I assume it is an indicator of full capacity, correct?