Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chris TX,.

Some might want a much shorter cable, and possibly much more flexible, to be able
to fit the adapter cable and the mid-sized ELM-type Bluetooth dongle up into
the recess above the cubby, and still close the cubby.

How are you intending to use this longer adapter cable?

Would a very small amount of paraffin wax on the cubby's two front contacts
make it easier to pull down, and push back up, the front of the cubby?

I don't have a problem cutting it down if anyone wants it less than 3ft. I've added a note on my listings where people can request it shorter.

As for the cubby's operation, if you want to add a lube to the body clips, a lithium based grease would be best since it won't break down the ABS panels it's touching.

Also, here's the TMC/Panjo listing: https://www.panjo.com/buy/tesla-model-s-obd2-can-adapter-cable-pre-sept-2015-265769

Chris,
I expanded my previous post while you were responding.

At Panjo, since you are in the TMC "community", they do not charge you the 7% is seems.
Is their "payment handling fee" large?

Do you still want folks here to PM you here at TMC to "order"?

Will the solid paraffin wax attack the abs plastic?
I was thinking to avoid liquid/paste lubricants to not attract dirt, avoid getting
it on hands, cables, and connector pins, and to avoid any lube drying out issues.
But, others will know better than I.

Thanks, Gary

Chris,
I expanded my previous post while you were responding.

At Panjo, since you are in the TMC "community", they do not charge you the 7% is seems.
Is their "payment handling fee" large?

Do you still want folks here to PM you here at TMC to "order"?

Will the solid paraffin wax attack the abs plastic?
I was thinking to avoid liquid/paste lubricants to not attract dirt, avoid getting
it on hands, cables, and connector pins, and to avoid any lube drying out issues.
But, others will know better than I.

Thanks, Gary

No need to PM me, just use that Panjo link. And yes, Panjo and TMC always get their money ;)

As for wax/grease, I've just always used lithium grease when dealing with ABS parts like the extruder gears on my 3D printer. It isn't prone to melting away like wax will when the car gets hot, too.

Chris TX,.

Some might want a much shorter cable, and possibly a much more flexible cable,
to be able to fit the adapter cable and the mid-sized ELM-type Bluetooth dongle
up into the recess above the cubby, and still close the cubby. I have yet to try
this with the cubby fully closed. I will try tomorrow.

How are you intending to route or se this longer adapter cable?

Would a very small amount of paraffin wax on the cubby's two front clips
make it easier to pull down the open end of the cubby, and then push
it back up later, to get the open end of the cubby back in place?

CAUTION, do NOT pull the front down too much. You do NOT want
to pull out the two clips at the closed end of the cubby, because
getting that end back in place can be quite difficult.

NOTE: On some vehicles, at least those with an "installed" center console,
the TDC might have been moved to a position behind the "hockey stick"
shaped trim piece on the right side of the console area. The first step is
to locate the TDC in your car, see if it is the smaller "older" 12-pin connector
or the "newer" 20-pin connector, and plan where the adapter cable is
going to go, and where the dongle will be placed.

If you do not know, please consider asking for help.

I ordered one of Chris' cables. If it turns out I would be better off with a different type I guess I'll just wind up buying another one or something.

My greater concern now is finding my TDC. I do have the center console installed. When you refer to the "hockey stick" shaped trim piece to the right of the console area, are you talking about the large piece that extends all the way to (and perhaps even beyond) the glovebox? If so, how is that safely detached and re-attached? (You said to consider asking for help. I'm asking! :) )

Finally are there a few different bluetooth OBD attachments available on Amazon that you might recommend? I know someone mentioned using the following one yesterday.

Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive

I'm just wondering if there are pros and cons to various models, and mainly if there are any known to definitely work for this application.

Thanks.

I ordered one of Chris' cables. If it turns out I would be better off with a different type I guess I'll just wind up buying another one or something.

My greater concern now is finding my TDC. I do have the center console installed. When you refer to the "hockey stick" shaped trim piece to the right of the console area, are you talking about the large piece that extends all the way to (and perhaps even beyond) the glovebox? If so, how is that safely detached and re-attached? (You said to consider asking for help. I'm asking! :) )

The "hockey stick" trim is pulled straight toward the driver's door. Start up near the dash and pull on it a bit, then walk your hand toward the back while popping the connectors out. The key is to not angle it too much. I've taken mine out several times to install dashcams and an integrated radar detector.

The "hockey stick" trim is pulled straight toward the driver's door. Start up near the dash and pull on it a bit, then walk your hand toward the back while popping the connectors out. The key is to not angle it too much. I've taken mine out several times to install dashcams and an integrated radar detector.

Thanks.

I may give it a shot later, or I may just wait until I have your cable and the bluetooth OBD reader and can actually try things out. (I'm not sure there's any reason to remove the trim just for the heck of it.)

Thanks again!

For left hand drive cars, like the USA models, the trim piece in question is on the left wall
of the passenger footspace, or outside the right wall of the console. Starting at the "foot"
of the "hockey stick" shape, one pulls straight out toward the passenger door (or pry out).

It is rather difficult to get started, because Tesla used 4 or 5 clips to hold the "foot" in place,
where 2 or 3 might have been quite sufficient. Once started, it goes reasonably easy.

In your VIN 64nnn car, made late Nov or early Dec 2014, the TDC has about 5 inches of
cable on it, with the TDC head (the connector itself) stored behind the cubby on the driver's
side, and the short cable running across to the right behind the cubby where it joins the
wiring harness ... or so it appears in my 62nnn S85 made in (probably mid or late) Nov 2014.

When the Tesla console is installed (not easily user removable like some other non-Tesla
consoles), it is reported that it becomes difficult (or impossible) to lower the open "mouth"
of the cubby enough to access the TDC in its "classic" position behind the cubby.

So, it was reported (or guessed) that the installation of the Tesla console required
routing the TDC's cable to the right (rather than to the left in the "classic") and
the TDC connector itself was poked out to the right, to be accessed behind the
"hockey stick" trim. I have not yet seen this myself, but some pictures would help.

Question is, when your console was installed, was the TDC moved, or not?
In any case, you, or someone generally more flexible than I, will need to locate
the TDC in YOUR car.

I am also learning ... Does this help you any?

For left hand drive cars, like the USA models, the trim piece in question is on the left wall
of the passenger footspace, or outside the right wall of the console. Starting at the "foot"
of the "hockey stick" shape, one pulls straight out toward the passenger door (or pry out).

It is rather difficult to get started, because Tesla used 4 or 5 clips to hold the "foot" in place,
where 2 or 3 might have been quite sufficient. Once started, it goes reasonably easy.

In your VIN 64nnn car, made late Nov or early Dec 2014, the TDC has about 5 inches of
cable on it, with the TDC head (the connector itself) stored behind the cubby on the driver's
side, and the short cable running across to the right behind the cubby where it joins the
wiring harness ... or so it appears in my 62nnn S85 made in (probably mid or late) Nov 2014.

When the Tesla console is installed (not easily user removable like some other non-Tesla
consoles), it is reported that it becomes difficult (or impossible) to lower the open "mouth"
of the cubby enough to access the TDC in its "classic" position behind the cubby.

So, it was reported (or guessed) that the installation of the Tesla console required
routing the TDC's cable to the right (rather than to the left in the "classic") and
the TDC connector itself was poked out to the right, to be accessed behind the
"hockey stick" trim. I have not yet seen this myself, but some pictures would help.

Question is, when your console was installed, was the TDC moved, or not?
In any case, you, or someone generally more flexible than I, will need to locate
the TDC in YOUR car.

I am also learning ... Does this help you any?

Yes, this definitely helps.

For starters I definitely won't go exploring just for fun, but will wait until I have all the parts, if not longer. I may wind up waiting until I have a ranger out again who needs access to the TDC, and watch and/or ask about it.

On that note, would a ranger have used the TDC to stage a firmware update? I ask because last May (roughly) I had a ranger out to install my Next Gen seats and he installed the center console at the same time and then staged an update. If I recall correctly, I believe he was connecting to something in approximately the area you are describing. So unless there is something else there that he would have connected to in order to stage a firmware update, I think it is likely that my TDC did get rerouted to that area.

I don't have a problem cutting it down if anyone wants it less than 3ft. I've added a note on my listings where people can request it shorter.

As for the cubby's operation, if you want to add a lube to the body clips, a lithium based grease would be best since it won't break down the ABS panels it's touching.

Also, here's the TMC/Panjo listing: https://www.panjo.com/buy/tesla-model-s-obd2-can-adapter-cable-pre-sept-2015-265769

Thanks! Ordered one :) Also ordered an ELM327... just now have to sit tight for TM-Spy release to iOS, and practice opening & closing the cubby on my early 2013 car while I wait ;)

The "big birdie" told me that a new, improved version of TM-Spy for Android will be posted soon.

Does anybody have an older, functional but unused, iOS device that I could use to test the iOS version?
Or, know of one that supports the LE Bluetooth that might be used but not too expensive?
If I pay very much, my wife will likely feel that she is justified in buying more stuff from QVC. :eek::

I am in Orange County, California, about 50 miles south of Los Angeles.
Thanks, Gary

• Love
Reactions: Running_Marc
Picture of Hockey Stick Trim

Taken from the passenger seat, looking toward the front most end of the center console space.

0215161344.jpg

The "hocky stick" trim is fairly easy to see, above the small flashlight.

Last edited:
llavalle,
From your picture, it is not easy to see if there is space for a (very) short adapter cable
and dongle to be attached to the connector, and then tucked away behind the hockey
stick trim piece such that the trim can be put back in place.

Also, in my 62nnn S85, this trim piece is rigid and must be removed as
one long piece, whereas your trim appears to be flexible, right?

The "big birdie" told me that a new, improved version of TM-Spy for Android will be posted soon.

Does anybody have an older, functional but unused, iOS device that I could use to test the iOS version?
Or, know of one that supports the LE Bluetooth that might be used but not too expensive?
If I pay very much, my wife will likely feel that she is justified in buying more stuff from QVC. :eek::

I am in Orange County, California, about 50 miles south of Los Angeles.
Thanks, Gary

Does original iPad 3 have support for LE BT? No issues donating to the cause if so, pm if better.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this definitely helps.

For starters I definitely won't go exploring just for fun, but will wait until I have all the parts, if not longer. I may wind up waiting until I have a ranger out again who needs access to the TDC, and watch and/or ask about it.

On that note, would a ranger have used the TDC to stage a firmware update? I ask because last May (roughly) I had a ranger out to install my Next Gen seats and he installed the center console at the same time and then staged an update. If I recall correctly, I believe he was connecting to something in approximately the area you are describing. So unless there is something else there that he would have connected to in order to stage a firmware update, I think it is likely that my TDC did get rerouted to that area.

havent seen this occur personally, though would be unsurprised if it's the LAN connector, which is adjacent to the TDC.

also, re which dongle to buy, read Turbo3s note on BT devices: Using TM-Spy to see Model S data. - Page 12

Last night I bought one of the LELink devices as I want to use on iOS. If your Android device supports LE BT, this can be used for that too.
if you want Android only: buy the one you mention, or the cheaper one show in Gary's photos
if you want iOS and modern android: buy the LELink.

I appear to have broken Amazon, otherwise I'd give links :-(

amazon is back... Seriously it was down...
Amazon.com: mini small v1.5 Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter Torque Android: Automotive is the one that Gary shows.
Amazon.com: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive is the LELink one and appears to be back in stock - dammit, bought mine from ebay and won't be here for a week :-(

Last edited:
Taken from the passenger seat, looking toward the front most end of the center console space.

The "hocky stick" trim is fairly easy to see, above the small flashlight.

This will help. I posted it earlier but here it is again :

Thanks for the help with the hockey stick trim. I was thinking it was a completely different piece, perpendicular to this one.

Once I find my TDC, and assuming it is located where Lavalle's is, I am wondering if using Chris' cable, along with the flat cable pictured in this post:

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing - Page 49

I might be able to somehow manage to get the BT end into the back portion of the console, and leave it there semi-permanently. I'd just need to disconnect Chris' cable from the TDC any time anyone from Tesla was going to work on the car.

whereas your trim appears to be flexible, right?

Thanks for the help with the hockey stick trim. I was thinking it was a completely different piece, perpendicular to this one.

My piece (vin in the 69xxx range) is semi-flexible. Also worth nothing : I do not have the premium interior so it's fake leather, aka 100% plastic. It looks pretty cramped in there, not sure a dongle would fit.

Here's a better picture with the console reinstalled this time. Just went down and up 10 stories using the stairs for you guys ;)

8fxWcD6.jpg

My piece (vin in the 69xxx range) is semi-flexible. Also worth nothing : I do not have the premium interior so it's fake leather, aka 100% plastic. It looks pretty cramped in there, not sure a dongle would fit.

Here's a better picture with the console reinstalled this time. Just went down and up 10 stories using the stairs for you guys ;)

Thanks a lot! I'd give you more rep, but apparently I have given you some quite recently!

I'll have to check what the back end of the top of the center console is like, but I'm thinking that thin cable may fit through some sort of slot there, if there is one.

ll...ll...
The better picture is a great help. Thanks for the run down and up again.

As when I looked at mine, it appears that there is not much usable room in there.
Perhaps, plugging onto the TDC with the 3-foot adapter would fit, then running
the cord just inside the top edge of the trim (down the "ski jump") and all the way
to the back end of the trim, the cable could come out there, with the adapter's
OBD connector, and the dongle back there, or even under the passenger seat if
the adapter cable was a bit longer yet. I measure 24 to 26 inches needed to come
out the botton edge of the trim piece, somewhere near the rear end of the trim.
On mine, it looks like exiting at the rear end itself will not work, at least without
a notch ... you know nachos, yum, yum?

I will look more the next time I have the trim piece removed.
Cheers, Gary

Last edited: