Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usual FUD & BS from mainstream media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was looking through the online NZ Herald this afternoon and found this article buried several articles deep in the Motoring section -

Tesla announce plan to close stores, Auckland store's future unknown

Now I'm as concerned as anyone regarding the fate of Tesla store employees and the possible impact on vehicle servicing, but at no point does the article state why some stores are closing or note that you can now buy the famous $35k Model 3 - a vehicle that blitzes all current competition.

You see this is the approach to "information" that many MSM providers now take - the selective use of facts with just a hint of a salacious story. The Herald and its rival Stuff.co.nz are hardly advocates for EVs or anything much to do with sustainability (indeed Stuff only recently acknowledged that Climate Change was a thing) but I would have expected a little more balance from just a few paragraphs.

Clearly the writer had located the news story from his overseas sources and would have quickly (if not blindingly) seen that the $35k Model 3 was now available in the US. Alongside that it was obvious that some stores are closing to help make production of the car affordable - but nay, all that readers will see in the Herald is that Tesla is retrenching and must be broke. No wonder people look at me weird when I say I like Tesla and support Musk - all that people ever hear is one side of a story!

Now I think *that* is a salacious conspiracy theory - does anyone else agree?

Tesla are battling petro companies, legacy manufacturers, legacy parts suppliers, and short sellers.
Generally the negativity orifpginates from one of these. Its always been that way.
Its also good that tesla are going back to their original model, which was online sales with small retail spaces to show the car with minimal employees. I’m not so sure that aus or nz are over exposed in that regard, although Sydney maybe is.

Perhaps not of much interest to most people here, but in today's AFR, an article from the Financial Times is re-printed, with the headline:

"Tesla ramps up just as China cools on NEVs"

The gist of the article is that Tesla might be in trouble with its Shanghai factory, since it is brining this factory on-line, just as Chinese demand for EVs is slowing.

For sake of Truth. (phrase edited by moderator)

Typical FUD article!

Not one mention of the possibility that the imminent commencement of Model 3 production could indeed be the cause of the slow down in EV sales, as people are holding off on their new car purchases to get their hands on a locally produced and hence cheaper Model 3.

Not one mention of the fact that on the most recent quarterly results call, Tesla once again confirmed that order rates increased in all markets over the previous quarter.

If Tesla had any problem selling Model 3s from its Shanghai factory, I would eat my shoe!

On a bit of a tangent to the above, but worth noting in the context of FUD is the following article:

America Misled

Last edited by a moderator: