Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 autopilot updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After installing v11, I noticed some significant changes to the autopilot on my 2021 MY.

1. The alarm to keep hands on the wheel now goes off almost instantly. Before I think it was something like 20 seconds but now it appears to vary. Sometimes as short as 1-2 seconds.

2. The "please apply turning force" warning requires a lot more force. About 75% of the time this comes on when my hands are already rest on the wheel. the amount of force required basically requires my to almost swerve most of the time, and more than half the time I end up turning the autopilot off because I need to move the wheel so much. This is actually pretty dangerous as the sensor is actually requiring you to almost swerve while you're in a lane.

3. The follow distance on autopilot is very far for highway driving. I found that it keeps me 10-20mph below the speed limit.

I have mostly used autopilot for long stretches of highway driving, but this latest updates make it much more difficult to use and much less convenient. I basically spend all of my time on autopilot responding to the wheel alarm and turning the system off and back on. I find myself using it less and less unfortunately.

Anybody else having this issue with v11?

3. The follow distance on autopilot is very far for highway driving. I found that it keeps me 10-20mph below the speed limit.
I don't understand the comment above. How does following distance impact your speed?

I've noticed the nags are more frequent lately, though not as frequent as yours, but I'm not sure that started with V11. I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of torque required to respond to the nags, but I have an S and a 3, not a Y. My cars also have radar enabled, so that might be another why I'm not seeing quite the same issues as you.

Reactions: clydeiii
I don't understand the comment above. How does following distance impact your speed?

It shouldn't really, and it did not before v11. But I have noticed if I am on an interstate with for example, a car ahead of me driving 70-75mph once I engage autopilot my car will decelerate rapidly to say the 55mph range and then hold at 60-65mph. I know that doesn't make intuitive sense, but it is my experience.

The follow distance is usually so wide (and my speed so relatively low) that I have cars passing in front of me, even while in the left lane. It definitely makes it difficult to the use autopilot efficiently on interstates as I have in the past.

Last edited:
The following distance just determines the space between your car and the car in front. Sometimes that space is larger than you would expect, and sometimes it takes a while for your car to accelerate when that gap widens, but under no circumstances should your car maintain a slower speed than the car in front.

What you’re seeing is likely caused by something else. Maybe your car “thinks” a car in an adjacent lane is actually in your lane. Or maybe your max speed setting changed without you realizing it.

Reactions: clydeiii
The following distance just determines the space between your car and the car in front. Sometimes that space is larger than you would expect, and sometimes it takes a while for your car to accelerate when that gap widens, but under no circumstances should your car maintain a slower speed than the car in front.

What you’re seeing is likely caused by something else. Maybe your car “thinks” a car in an adjacent lane is actually in your lane. Or maybe your max speed setting changed without you realizing it.
It's neither. I'm just describing my experience though with v11. The follow distance on the "closest" setting is something like 5 cars lengths at highway speeds. I don't recall it being this wide before.