Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Tesla Masses really managed to get Waypoints into Tesla software (I wouldn't know, I haven't gotten the update) the next mass complaint HAS to be getting uniform updates, or baby steps, some transparency on who gets what. Why not release the same update number on the same day to every car, even of the software is completely different on each platform. We get the features of that update that our car can handle.

staggering is more safe in case there are bugs. this has happened before.

If you think Apple doesn't face the issue of bugs you have never paid attention.

So stagger the release of the week, release it to 1000 people on Sunday, 10,000 people Monday, you get the idea

Right now there are Teslas running 358 different versions of the firmware, this is MUCH worse than Android updates.

Oops! No, now there are 359, sheesh!

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
so when are we getting holiday update part 2?
cant wait to have a proper gui!
You mean the one that FIXES piece of duct-tape and chewing gum called V11? Yeah, I'd like to know too.. I got stuck on the interstate in a snowstorm today because the wiper GUI is now like 10 submenus deep, but I can watch Netflix with one click from my "favorites" menu while I wait for the tow-truck. WTF Tesla? Is this a car, or a phone? I thought I bought a phone. Apple, would you please, please, buy Tesla so that I can at least rationalize why this UI is so poor for a car?

Reactions: Sporty
You mean the one that FIXES piece of duct-tape and chewing gum called V11? Yeah, I'd like to know too.. I got stuck on the interstate in a snowstorm today because the wiper GUI is now like 10 submenus deep, but I can watch Netflix with one click from my "favorites" menu while I wait for the tow-truck. WTF Tesla? Is this a car, or a phone? I thought I bought a phone. Apple, would you please, please, buy Tesla so that I can at least rationalize why this UI is so poor for a car?

You know, there’s a little button at the end of the turn signal stalk. If you press it, the wipers run.

Even better - if you press it, not only does the wiper run, but the wiper controls are immediately popped up on the display.

There’s plenty of things not to like about V11, but this isn’t one.

You know, there’s a little button at the end of the turn signal stalk. If you press it, the wipers run.

Even better - if you press it, not only does the wiper run, but the wiper controls are immediately popped up on the display.

There’s plenty of things not to like about V11, but this isn’t one.
I can FULLY control my wipers from the stalk. Some things should NEVER be moved to a touchscreen.

I can FULLY control my wipers from the stalk. Some things should NEVER be moved to a touchscreen.

I agree - one of the misses on the Model 3 interface. I much prefer the wiper controls (and some other things) on my Model X.

But my point is that on Model 3, it's the same process as it was the day the car launched with the original software. Press the button, wiper controls pop up. That hasn't changed.... again, plenty not to like about the V11 update, but the wiper controls are still the same # of button presses away. V11 didn't move the wiper controls any further away than they already were.

(And yes, I'm aware there's no longer a dedicated wiper icon on the taskbar -- I get that. But pressing the Car icon pops up the Quick Control menu which has the wiper controls right smack in the middle... so still the same # of button presses, even if it's not a dedicated icon.)

I agree - one of the misses on the Model 3 interface. I much prefer the wiper controls (and some other things) on my Model X.

But my point is that on Model 3, it's the same process as it was the day the car launched with the original software. Press the button, wiper controls pop up. That hasn't changed.... again, plenty not to like about the V11 update, but the wiper controls are still the same # of button presses away. V11 didn't move the wiper controls any further away than they already were.

(And yes, I'm aware there's no longer a dedicated wiper icon on the taskbar -- I get that. But pressing the Car icon pops up the Quick Control menu which has the wiper controls right smack in the middle... so still the same # of button presses, even if it's not a dedicated icon.)
The problem is that, with V11, it now requires two on-screen button pushes at two different places on the screen, requiring your eyes and fingers to wander to complete the task and requiring extra attention away from the main job of watching the road.

Admittedly, the wiper control feature was not great in the previous version of the UI, but Tesla went in entirely wrong direction with the redesign.

The problem is that, with V11, it now requires two on-screen button pushes at two different places on the screen, requiring your eyes and fingers to wander to complete the task and requiring extra attention away from the main job of watching the road.

Admittedly, the wiper control feature was not great in the previous version of the UI, but Tesla went in entirely wrong direction with the redesign.

Frankly, it's not really different. Previously you had to press the wiper button on the Taskbar, then when the card came up, move your finger up and to where the controls are.

Same now. Press the Car icon, then move your finger up to where the controls are.

I will agree though, the Quick Controls screen is too freakin' busy.

Now all that said - if you press the stalk button to run the wiper, the card that pops up is identical to previous versions, so muscle memory shouldn't have an issue there.

But really, the mechanics of car-icon-then-controls is no different than wiper-icon-then-controls. Just a different location on screen which does mess with muscle memory a bit.

Frankly, it's not really different. Previously you had to press the wiper button on the Taskbar, then when the card came up, move your finger up and to where the controls are.

Same now. Press the Car icon, then move your finger up to where the controls are.

I will agree though, the Quick Controls screen is too freakin' busy.

Now all that said - if you press the stalk button to run the wiper, the card that pops up is identical to previous versions, so muscle memory shouldn't have an issue there.

But really, the mechanics of car-icon-then-controls is no different than wiper-icon-then-controls. Just a different location on screen which does mess with muscle memory a bit.
True, but with the previous version, the wiper control card was just above where the initial wiper button was located, and was spatially, visually and functionally associated with it. That is not the case now. This difference may seem to be a subtle one, but it is actually crucial to how people process information and work with controls.

Reactions: Sporty
True, but with the previous version, the wiper control card was just above where the initial wiper button was located, and was spatially, visually and functionally associated with it. That is not the case now. This difference may seem to be a subtle one, but it is actually crucial to how people process information and work with controls.

I don't disagree - the Quick Controls menu is WAY too cluttered.

But when I see folks say "it's buried so many levels deep" or "it's more clicks" -- those things aren't accurate.

Spatially, yes, the design needs work. I don't disagree. But it's exactly the same # of clicks, same number of menu options, same same there. The visual cues need help, certainly.

The original text I was replying to is "I got stuck on the interstate in a snowstorm today because the wiper GUI is now like 10 submenus deep," -- which obviously is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not even so much as one additional menu deep. It's exactly the same. Just in a different location on screen, but it's no more presses to get to.

And, thankfully, the stalk-button-press still pulls up the old-style card which is a positive.

I'm fairly certain there are some good UI enhancements coming ... clearly V11 needs tweaking, but it's not an unrecoverable disaster, either.

Change is scary, and I think many folks would have a visceral reaction to *any* change. But it's not as if Tesla moved the wiper controls to some sub-sub-menu. It's still top level. Just that that top level needs some help - it's too busy.

But when I see folks say "it's buried so many levels deep" or "it's more clicks" -- those things aren't accurate.

Spatially, yes, the design needs work. I don't disagree. But it's exactly the same # of clicks, same number of menu options, same same there. The visual cues need help, certainly.

The original text I was replying to is "I got stuck on the interstate in a snowstorm today because the wiper GUI is now like 10 submenus deep," -- which obviously is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not even so much as one additional menu deep. It's exactly the same. Just in a different location on screen, but it's no more presses to get to.

And, thankfully, the stalk-button-press still pulls up the old-style card which is a positive.

I'm fairly certain there are some good UI enhancements coming ... clearly V11 needs tweaking, but it's not an unrecoverable disaster, either.

Change is scary, and I think many folks would have a visceral reaction to *any* change. But it's not as if Tesla moved the wiper controls to some sub-sub-menu. It's still top level. Just that that top level needs some help - it's too busy.
Good points and I mostly agree.

I basically agree. My main complaint since last 2020 is the proportion of screen used for car visualization, sorry to beat a dead horse, but why do I need to see that? Then they added even more to the left side, which is more likely blocked by my right hand on the wheel( blind spot camera, navigation directions when the map is covered). The new bolder font is pretty bad too :)

Reactions: Hello7 and chinney