Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do I never get the full rate?

I’m here now at the V3.

I don't think that supercharger is on the in-car map yet?, so you wouldn't have been able to navigate to it with the benefit of pre-conditioning - a cold battery is limited in the rate of charge it can accept.

Always use the in car map to navigate specifically to the supercharger pin displayed on the map when you enable the supercharger overlay. The car will then start to (and you'll see a message saying so) "Preconditioning battery for supercharging" when you're about 20 minutes away from it. For the time being, for Park Royal, perhaps navigate to the Westfield supercharger to get the preconditioning benefit.

Reactions: Roy W. and Kitster
I don't think that supercharger is on the in-car map yet?, so you wouldn't have been able to navigate to it with the benefit of pre-conditioning - a cold battery is limited in the rate of charge it can accept.

Always use the in car map to navigate specifically to the supercharger pin displayed on the map when you enable the supercharger overlay. The car will then start to (and you'll see a message saying so) "Preconditioning battery for supercharging" when you're about 20 minutes away from it. For the time being, for Park Royal, perhaps navigate to the Westfield supercharger to get the preconditioning benefit.
This may seem a daft question but how do you display the supercharger sites on the map?
Mine’s not showing any!

I've completely changed my opinion on Supercharging. From my first test drive some 5 years ago, I assumed I would just use the Supercharger network to charge my car as it's free, why would I ever charge at home. However the convenience of just plugging in at home soon out weights the effort to go to a Supercharger even though I have one 9 miles away.
Just get yourself a cheap per Kwh rate with your supplier, I only pay 12p. I (speaking from experience) think the novelty soon wears off, I just hope when I do need them on long trips away from home they are available.

What's the point of V3 superchargers if in 3 to 4 years they will just nurf your charge rate down between 70kw and 30kw like they have with my S85

If it can deliver 70KW to two cars at the same time thats still better than now. I've had as low as 40KW when plugging in 2nd, and with Superchargers been more busy been able to hit even 70KW on all stalls at full site occupancy would be fab.

Remember most other rapid sites are 50KW if your lucky.

Don't get it. Have been both at 150kw and the V3 250kw chargers at park royal this morning . V3 clearly labelled up to 250kw but I've seen absolutely no difference in charging rate hitting a Max of 106 kilowatts 10 to 15-minutes charging on both. There is no one else here charging here so it can't be a power sharing issue. Charged from 30 to 90% and park royal is now on the Tesla map so selected it and even preconditioned the battery that way. Seemed to be no difference between the 2 ..I'm sure ive charged much quicker at Brent cross supercharger even whilst sharing.

Below is 150kw with 2 connector options..the 250kwh with different connector below that fyi.

IMG_20191222_075111.jpg
IMG_20191222_072903.jpg
IMG_20191222_074750.jpg

Reactions: Roy W.
Idle charges still apply. But only if plugged in... I have seen someone return to car and disconnect, but there was only 2 of us in an 8 stall bay so a non issue. But it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't always the case. Not sure if 'unlocking charge port' has same effect.

The street chargers in Coventry now have vehicle detectors so if there is a vehicle parked in the bay but no one charging I assume they send a traffic warden over. Vehicle Detection Sensors

They could do this at Superchargers but it would be better if people could just be considerate of other users.

Will all new sites be V3 from now on? What happens to S/X owners without the CCS upgrade?

Reactions: CMc1
Don't get it. Have been both at 150kw and the V3 250kw chargers at park royal this morning . V3 clearly labelled up to 250kw but I've seen absolutely no difference in charging rate hitting a Max of 106 kilowatts 10 to 15-minutes charging on both. There is no one else here charging here so it can't be a power sharing issue. Charged from 30 to 90% and park royal is now on the Tesla map so selected it and even preconditioned the battery that way. Seemed to be no difference between the 2 ..I'm sure ive charged much quicker at Brent cross supercharger even whilst sharing.
Running on recent/latest firmware in the car?

I preconditioned to Brent Cross on my way to Park Royal (about 15 mins worth of preconditioning).
I’ve never been able to achieve above 80kWh, even when I turned up with 1% SoC (although it was very cold that day).

I raised a ticket with Tesla, maybe they can look into it further remotely and advise. If anyone has any tips and tricks would be useful.

(I follow the usual rules of avoiding sharing, warming up car and preconditioning and arriving at low SoC)