Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That did get me thinking however that likely the whole point of the V3 is not for the Model 3, although it's COOL to tell people you can charge at 1000 MPH, and certainly better tech than the S/X currently have. Its really going to be for the Pickup and the new Roadster. Put 4 of them together and charge a Semi. That's who this tech is for.

I was actually more thrilled at the update to the software controlling charging at all the V2 stations out there. Time for another road trip!

V3 will make a big difference assuming the S & X refresh come out with 100 kWh of 2170 cells. Also, I too was amazed how fast my LR3 charged with the new software on V2 charger. I showed up with 18% battery plugged in and barely had time to grab a sandwich at jimmy johns before my car was at 80%.

To be fair, the LR M3 tends to charge too fast for food anyway. Even getting breakfast at BK had the car beckoning our return. If you eat in the car you may be back in time. Though it can depend on the distance between the chargers.

Makes me wonder in those states that charge by time instead of kWh if they raised the rate you are charged with the raised rate your car is charged.

Last edited:
To be fair, the LR M3 tends to charge too fast for food anyway. Even getting breakfast at BK had the car beckoning our return. If you eat in the car you may be back in time. Though it can depend on the distance between the chargers.

Makes me wonder if those states that charge by time instead of kWh if they raised the rate you are charged with the raised rate your car is charged.

Prices didn’t change with the increased charging rates. Per-minute is also significantly less expensive on average than per-kWh pricing.

Depending on how much and where you need to charge. If you are going from 0 to 30% or 60 to 80% it's cheaper, otherwise, it can be MUCH more expensive. If you are sharing the charger it's even more expensive. If there are issues with the charging like heat it's even scarier.

Does it keep billing you until you unplug? That could get ridiculous.

Depending on how much and where you need to charge. If you are going from 0 to 30% or 60 to 80% it's cheaper, otherwise, it can be MUCH more expensive. If you are sharing the charger it's even more expensive. If there are issues with the charging like heat it's even scarier.

You get billed for charging only while actually charging, then idle fees after that if you don’t unplug before a certain time (if there are 50% or more stalls full).

Prices didn’t change with the increased charging rates. Per-minute is also significantly less expensive on average than per-kWh pricing.

Less expensive compared directly to other states with per kWh pricing? Or less expensive compared to home charging rates in the same state? I don’t mean to ask if it’s cheaper to supercharge than home charge, I mean if you are comparing between states with different pricing schemes they may also have different energy costs, so is “less expensive” adjusted for that?

There is also a different per-minute price whether your car is pulling over 60kW or under 60kW, so that somewhat takes these situations into account.
The per-minute price while charging under 60kW is usually half the price while over 60kW.

For the Superchargers that can charge faster because of a Tesla software change, not much cost to Tesla but if thruput is increased ie charging more cars per day there will be more kWh per month consumed by the supercharger. Also a higher kW demand is set (unless limited by Tesla but that could defeat faster charging) so electric bill will be higher for Tesla. They may have to adjust pricing some.

For new V3 Superchargers, the installation will certainly cost more for the chargers, larger electrical service and the equipment you'll need for cooling the cord AND the electric bill should be higher. I would expect V3 to cost more for certain.

If you are sharing it's always tier 1 pricing. In fact, if you are on the per minute pricing and you are sharing with somebody that is barely pulling any power it can work out greatly in your favor bill wise.

Less expensive compared directly to other states with per kWh pricing? Or less expensive compared to home charging rates in the same state? I don’t mean to ask if it’s cheaper to supercharge than home charge, I mean if you are comparing between states with different pricing schemes they may also have different energy costs, so is “less expensive” adjusted for that?

It's less expensive than states with per kWh pricing. I'm not comparing it to home charging, although in my case, it's similar, averaging about 10 - 12 cents per kWh on average using the per-minute pricing across an average charging session (10% - 65%, let's say).

It's less expensive than states with per kWh pricing. I'm not comparing it to home charging, although in my case, it's similar, averaging about 10 - 12 cents per kWh on average using the per-minute pricing across an average charging session (10% - 65%, let's say).

Wow, that is way cheaper than here. What’s your per minute price?

Here it is way more to supercharge per minute then at home. $0.48/min over 60kW ($0.24/min under) and $0.10kWh at home (or $0.15 at home if reach step2 usage levels, which you would if you charged only at home). Prices are in CAD, but still - relatively speaking. $0.24/min is going to be at cheapest $0.24/kWh at 59.999kW and a lot more at lower kW. 100kW would be $0.29/kWh. Urban SC 72kW would be $0.40/kWh! We are roughly looking at least double the cost to supercharge on average would be my guess.

I thought the WA state per-kWh pricing was better at $0.25/kWh since it was consistent no matter the taper.

I forget who made this chart, but it was posted in one of the Electrify America threads. It compares Tesla's pricing to EA's pricing. I believe the per-minute prices being used here are $0.13/min for <60 kW and $0.26/min for >60 kW.

On a recent trip I took through North Carolina, my average Supercharger session speed was 140 kW, bringing me in right around $0.12/kWh. That's less than half of what I'd pay in Virginia for the same charging activities billed by the kWh.

untitled2-jpg.415063

Interesting data. Seems the 250 kw is just a short peak and then it drops quite fast. That's expected. The actual charge times are impressive. Almost 3 times faster than the original Model S. A typical charge stop is now the perfect time. 10-15 min is a typical stop at a gas pump. After you are done pumping gas you move your car, go to the bathroom and maybe buy a snack or coffee. No one can say charging takes too long any more. At least in theory. It will take a while for all Superchargers to be upgraded to V3. I guess 1-2 years.

Interesting data. Seems the 250 kw is just a short peak and then it drops quite fast. That's expected. The actual charge times are impressive. Almost 3 times faster than the original Model S. A typical charge stop is now the perfect time. 10-15 min is a typical stop at a gas pump. After you are done pumping gas you move your car, go to the bathroom and maybe buy a snack or coffee. No one can say charging takes too long any more. At least in theory. It will take a while for all Superchargers to be upgraded to V3. I guess 1-2 years.

I don't think they intend to upgrade all (or even many) of the V2 sites to V3. I suspect most V3 sites will be new builds starting early next year or maybe a few starting this year.

A few more charging sessions with the V3 profile, but on 150 kW V2 Superchargers, have found their way online. In addition to the @DirtyT3sla data above (blue dots), I've added a session from u/Wugz on reddit (red dots) to the graph. The Wugz data drops early but interestingly picks up the 120kW line from JOkers-LucaOZ very closely (purple dots). They taper very close to each other. The @DirtyT3sla data never got near 150kW but converged with all the other examples above 60%.

Also, if you're not aware, firmware 2019.20.2.1 has a notification that pops up when On-Route Battery Warmup is actively conditioning the battery. This will help provide feedback that the car is ready for an optimum charge power from the Supercharger.

Has anyone seen any other charging sessions online using 2019.20.1 or later? We obviously want to see more from Fremont V3 but also 350kW/500A EU charger examples would be great.

20190620 3LR chrg.png

A few more charging sessions with the V3 profile, but on 150 kW V2 Superchargers, have found their way online. In addition to the @DirtyT3sla data above (blue dots), I've added a session from u/Wugz on reddit (red dots) to the graph. The Wugz data drops early but interestingly picks up the 120kW line from JOkers-LucaOZ very closely (purple dots). They taper very close to each other. The @DirtyT3sla data never got near 150kW but converged with all the other examples above 60%.

Also, if you're not aware, firmware 2019.20.2.1 has a notification that pops up when On-Route Battery Warmup is actively conditioning the battery. This will help provide feedback that the car is ready for an optimum charge power from the Supercharger.

Has anyone seen any other charging sessions online using 2019.20.1 or later? We obviously want to see more from Fremont V3 but also 350kW/500A EU charger examples would be great.

View attachment 421483

We got 2019.20.2.1 about 24 hours ago. I’ll be testing V2 charging speeds tomorrow. Sorry, Fremont is a bit of a drive. ;)

We got 2019.20.2.1 about 24 hours ago. I’ll be testing V2 charging speeds tomorrow. Sorry, Fremont is a bit of a drive. ;)
I just got 19.20.2.1 this evening and should be able to Supercharge tomorrow. It'll be a hot day stress test though so I don't have much hope for exciting numbers. Don't forget to turn off HVAC when near 150kW to get the best charge rate.