Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging.. wagers on first Canadian location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the first V3 supercharger site in Canada will be a Northern Ontario site - somehere after Sault-Ste Marie, ON. I always found it wierd that there is a SC in Sudbury, but none scheduled in Sault-Ste Marie, but a permit in Terrace Bay, ON.

If you do the route planner, the distance between Sudbury and Terrace is 783kms - along Trans-Canada. No Tesla is doing that without charging - by the way many gasoline vehicle would not do that it one shot either. So if there is a permit for TerraceBay there has to be a SC planned or has to be built first in-between. The obvious location would appear to be Sault-Ste Marie; but for V3 I think not.

Distance from Sudbury to Sault, is 307 kms; and the distance from Sault to Terrace Bay is 481 kms. So putting V3 SC in the Sault does not work either. Sault is a City with restaurants, Malls, hotels, etc; so the Urban/V2 SC and hotels with destination chargers in that city makes more sense. But to go just 50 kms outside Sault - on the way to Terrace Bay, means a distance from Sudbury at roughly 350 kms. that makes the stretch to Terrace Bay from that point at 437 kms. Which means that "mid-location" will be in an area without amenities; so V3 would be perfect for quick charge and go. Minimize the length of stay as you will need a 100% charge to get to Terrace Bay - which by the way I think all the chargers in Northern Ontario should be V3. Though not likely necessary in places like Thunder Bay - where V2 would work and/or distination chargers at hotels would be better.

It is kind of odd to have a permit in Nipigon, Ontario, which is 105 kms from Terrace Bay? I always found the placement by Tesla a bit weird, does not make much sense to install two superchargers so close together yet leave such huge gaps along the same route in other sections of that trans-canada highway.

Remember, Petro-Canada is putting in those high speed chargers along the Trans-Canada - they have advised a total of 50 of these stations across the country. The chademo plug gets up to 100kW charge rate and the CCS gets up to 200kW charge rate. Hopefully Tesla will make the CCS adaptor for Tesla available here in Canada, like they are going to make it available in Europe. Then with a CCS adaptor, a CHAdeMO adaptor with the Petro stations and Tesla SC in the mix out there; that trip across Canada will be easy-peasy.

I think the first V3 supercharger site in Canada will be a Northern Ontario site - somehere after Sault-Ste Marie, ON. I always found it wierd that there is a SC in Sudbury, but none scheduled in Sault-Ste Marie, but a permit in Terrace Bay, ON.
What do you mean by none scheduled? There has been one on the official Tesla map for the Soo for a over a year.

What do you mean by none scheduled? There has been one on the official Tesla map for the Soo for a over a year.

I thought maybe I missed it so I just re-checked. I check the supercharge.info site for updates; not the Tesla map you speak of which has “grey” charger symbols spread out all over the place for furure locations - eventually at some time.

I am looking at the site that shows blue for permit and an orange cone for locations under construction and red dots for open chargers.

On that supercharger site (supercharge.info) there is no dot Positioned for Sault.Ste Marie.

I thought maybe I missed it so I just re-checked. I check the supercharge.info site for updates; not the Tesla map you speak of which has “grey” charger symbols spread out all over the place for furure locations - eventually at some time.

I am looking at the site that shows blue for permit and an orange cone for locations under construction and red dots for open chargers.

On that supercharger site (supercharge.info) there is no dot Positioned for Sault.Ste Marie.
That doesn’t mean anything...

But they’re still out there!!!

I understand what you are alluding to, but technically the only guide I should go by is the supercharge.info site where It has been identified as to what is happening at a particular location.

I get it, there are many locations with grey placeholders; but some of those could end up being deleted. I myself have in the past made note as to where I think the SC locations could go - or actually wishful thinking on my part.

Just me talking out loud and basing my opinion on what Tesla has put in as tangible information.

We can always speculate and it can be fun to do so, but i based my opinion on what was shown as permited or greater.

I understand what you are alluding to, but technically the only guide I should go by is the supercharge.info site where It has been identified as to what is happening at a particular location.

No you don't understand. There are permits and construction in progress that aren't listed on Supercharger.info because nobody has found, and reported, them. (You can go back through the data and find all of the sites that go from non-existent directly to open bypassing the permit and construction phases.)

Reactions: mociaf9 and Tz00
No you don't understand. There are permits and construction in progress that aren't listed on Supercharger.info because nobody has found, and reported, them. (You can go back through the data and find all of the sites that go from non-existent directly to open bypassing the permit and construction phases.)

Why is there always someone who thinks they are infallible and then feel the need to exhibit absolutism. How do you know what I do and do not understand.

I knew about Saint Leonard how no one was expecting it... that was my point. The conversation is about where do we guess the first V3 SC would be. I was guessing a spot outside the Sault and I was giving my resaons and the basis in my opinion for it. Remember, there is no marker for anywhere outside Sault so I was not simply relying on the supercharge.info; i was using it as a guide that help me make my prediction. The Tesla map the other member was speaking about has a ton of locations of where Tesla wants/thinks they will put superchargers. But is is a intentional map. With all those locations it is hard to get an idea of where they would do next because it does not show what is under construction nor permitted - which to me is an indication of intent to put a SC in that location. A somewhat more confirmed location over just that of a grey intent dot. I know the supercharge.ino map doesn't show 100%, but it does give those indications. I know there are permits and construction that do not show up on supercharge.ifo; but at least they do try and find them and when they do list them. I am not aware of another map that does that. If you are aware of a more accurate updated map, please advise.

Look I premised the conversation by indicating that was my opinion on where the V3 would go and i used the info map as a guesing guide. I never suggested it was perfect and was not without error; I am no longer surprised when people come on a get all absolute and "matter-of-fact." It is not necessary. This was to be fun and sharing ideas and making a guess.

It’s worth considering that a lot of remote sites may not have the electrical service necessary for current superchargers, much less V3.

Yes that is a good point. I think in those spots elon is planning on putting in the powerpacks to store the amount of power needed so while the stations re not in use they fill up those packs and therefore do not need to have the demand surges and charges because of that.

Elon did say they have been holding off on building a bunch of SC sites in the last few months because they wanted to have some real world data results on the V3 charging. I wonder if they are just going to build only V3 SC and urban ones from now on. I would still think that in some big cities V2 SC would work good for "filler" areas.

How will those relatively thin cables perform when it's -25C?
Probably like any other HPWC, I expect the cables to flex a lot better, and they’re short!
I assume he meant because they are liquid cooled. Most 'antifreeze' goes to like -35F | -37C. Don't know what they put in these types of cables.

One article I found on these types but doesn't mention temps.
Charged EVs | Huber+Suhner cools the cord with the RADOX high power EV charging system

Found brochure that mentioned -30C
https://www.ittcannon.com/Core/medi...on-EVC-DC-Liquid-Cooled-Brochure.pdf?ext=.pdf
and this coolant:
Novec Engineered Fluids | 3M United States
3M™ Novec™ Engineered Fluids
3M Novec Engineered Fluids are versatile, non-flammable fluids used in various critical industrial applications. With excellent dielectric properties and a wide range of boiling points, these fluids have excellent materials compatibility and thermal stability.

Novec Engineered Fluids have a low global warming potential (GWP) and zero ozone depletion potential (ODP), giving users innovative and trusted solutions that don’t require a compromise across performance, safety and sustainability.

buENsh1.jpg

Last edited:

I would trust the Tesla site WAY more than supercharge.info as those SC locations on the Tesla site are sites that have been announced by Tesla. In about 99% of the instances the sites do get built, but they may often be a few years late or moved to slightly different sites (as in Stardale actually being built in Casselman). But I see no reason to particularly trust supercharge.info - oftentimes the info there will come from rumours on TMC. The only exception is when permits are actually found.

Do we know how big the battery is with these new chargers?
Battery? I don’t think SCs have batteries. The issue should be how many kWs per stall and how many stalls.

Edit - And it appears that V3 SCs use a 1 MW cabinet to supply 4 SCs. So for those remote sites can they support 1MW of power for a 4 SC install? Or multiples of that for 8, 12 or more?

Last edited: