Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging.. wagers on first Canadian location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would trust the Tesla site WAY more than supercharge.info as those SC locations on the Tesla site are sites that have been announced by Tesla. In about 99% of the instances the sites do get built, but they may often be a few years late or moved to slightly different sites (as in Stardale actually being built in Casselman). But I see no reason to particularly trust supercharge.info - oftentimes the info there will come from rumours on TMC. The only exception is when permits are actually found.

I agree with you that supercharge.info is not 100%, but that sight does offer changes of stages for SCs for the most part. It is not always ontop of that sure. But Tesla sight only shows target date and ptretty much every grey SC site shown on the Tesla site in Canada says target opening in 2019...! there is no way Tesla is going to build 35+ SC sites in Canada all in 2019. And that site does not give you any changes, just changes from target opening to open when that happens.

Like I said before, I was using the info site as a guide to try and make my locate guess for V3 SC in Canada - I was thinking the first would be in Ontario.

But Tesla sight only shows target date and ptretty much every grey SC site shown on the Tesla site in Canada says target opening in 2019...! there is no way Tesla is going to build 35+ SC sites in Canada all in 2019.

Why do you say that they can't build 35 sites in Canada in 9 months? (That is only 1 per week.)

It isn't like they only build one site at a time. (There are at least 27 sites under construction in the US right now.) And Supercharge.info shows 18 sites with a permit, or that are under construction, in Canada now.

Reactions: scottf200
Why do you say that they can't build 35 sites in Canada in 9 months? (That is only 1 per week.)
It isn't like they only build one site at a time. (There are at least 27 sites under construction in the US right now.) And Supercharge.info shows 18 sites with a permit, or that are under construction, in Canada now.
Apparently bigger feats are possible:

XPeng Motors Installs 30 Fast-Charging Stations In One Day
30 big multi-unit fast-charging stations installed in a single day.
March 18, 2019 was a milestone day for China-based EV maker XPENG Motors as it officially put 30 supercharging stations into operation in five cities across China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Wuhan.

Drawing inspiration from the logo of the startup, the X-shaped charging pile features a streamline curved surface, a higher level of automotive lacquering technology based on automotive-grade manufacturing standards. Currently, each supercharging station is equipped with 4 to 10 supercharging piles on average, trying best to ensure the charging demands at peak hours.

Why do you say that they can't build 35 sites in Canada in 9 months?

The ground is still frozen or under ten feet of snow in many places, so the window may be a bit less than nine months.

They obviously can build 35 sites in Canada this year, but it's reasonable to wonder if they'll budget it. The record for new sites in Canada in a calendar year is 20.

Reactions: MarcoRP

Well, Tesla has not been able to build one SC in either Manitoba or Saskatchewan or Northern Ontario in over 3 years. Between Calgary, AB and Sudbury, Ontario; not one SC... yet we think it is still possible for Tesla to put such an emphasis on Canada that they would construct and make operable 35+ sites in, not one year but actually 9 months - we are in March 2019. If you give Tesla the benefit and say they can do one a month, that equates to only 9 for the balance of the year. Still well short of the 35+ sites the map says is scheduled for 2019.

Also, the USA and Europe, especially Norway, gets priority over all others. Norway's government pushes EV adoption and that country has an attitude to reduce their CO2 footprint and pushes EV adoption. Canada does not have that emphasis, otherwise Provincial Governments would be making it a priority for sites to be set up by pushing to help property owners in getting that done (by expediting permits and improving electrical infrastructure, etc).

While it may not mean anything, speaking to a tesla service rep he said that many stations are ready to go, but California scheduled them in January when the ground is frozen so they can't dig the trenches. Again just word of one person, but seems plausible.

Doing a road trip between Sudbury and Wisconsin in the summer, would love to see a V3 charger installed!

Reactions: scottf200