Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4.1 - can't charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys I am new to this forum but had almost similar experience to Vger after having my car for 2 weeks and various warnings that many of us experienced, on my way from work to home in middle of highway the car shut off and I had to leave it at the side of the road till next day. To make the story short and less tragic Tesla tow it next day and after diagnostics I was told the problem was with the main battery and has to be replaced I think it may take about 2 weeks to get it done. I am going to buy another spare car for these situations as I think model s will have many bugs to be figure it out in next few months or years

Wow..I feel for you...can you provide some more details of what exactly happened ?...your car just shut down without warning ? Could you steer it ? Did it go into park ? What's your vin ? ...sorry for all the questions, but this is kinda scary.

Wow..I feel for you...can you provide some more details of what exactly happened ?...your car just shut down without warning ? Could you steer it ? Did it go into park ? What's your vin ? ...sorry for all the questions, but this is kinda scary.
My car is signature performance I was driving at 60 or 70 mph first a warning came on, engine off pull over for safety then car went like neutral position and I could steer it then I went to the shoulder of the road and it stopped. The screens went black but I could get out of the car and come back to sit in it. I called Tesla road side assistance but was waste of time they hold me for 45 minutes on the phone and then another 45 minutes later sent a local towing company that had no clue what to do with car. Their tow roadside assistance (I think subcontractor in TX) to my experience is waste of time if you have AAA they are much better. Anyway I called my AAA and they could not start the car neither with their 12 volt battery to move the car to flat bed. I abandoned the car at roadside after 3-4 hours and Tesla sent somebody to retrieve the car next afternoon. It was very stressful night and day.

- - - Updated - - -

The software or firmware was factory default version 4.0 there was no update for 4.1 or other minor upgrade at that time In any case my experience with computers is if everything is working DO NOT upgrade immediately let their software engineers figure outs all the bugs they have or may create more with changing codes

My car is signature performance I was driving at 60 or 70 mph first a warning came on, engine off pull over for safety then car went like neutral position and I could steer it then I went to the shoulder of the road and it stopped. The screens went black but I could get out of the car and come back to sit in it. I called Tesla road side assistance but was waste of time they hold me for 45 minutes on the phone and then another 45 minutes later sent a local towing company that had no clue what to do with car. Their tow roadside assistance (I think subcontractor in TX) to my experience is waste of time if you have AAA they are much better. Anyway I called my AAA and they could not start the car neither with their 12 volt battery to move the car to flat bed. I abandoned the car at roadside after 3-4 hours and Tesla sent somebody to retrieve the car next afternoon. It was very stressful night and day.

- - - Updated - - -

The software or firmware was factory default version 4.0 there was no update for 4.1 or other minor upgrade at that time In any case my experience with computers is if everything is working DO NOT upgrade immediately let their software engineers figure outs all the bugs they have or may create more with changing codes

Sorry your car did this. Did you have the tow instruction card they were supposed to send out with instructions on how to pull the car onto a flatbed?

Vger: Your a class act, a true Canadian :) ... Tesla should compensate you thoroughly for this somehow, as the car put you in a bad situation...lets hope they fix the car, and pay your kindness back with some kindness of their own.

Since I am American born but firmly and permanently an immigrant of Canada, this comes to me as the highest compliment. :biggrin: I am truly delighted by the civility and humility of Canadian culture. Americans could learn a lot from Canadians, if they paused for a few minutes from patting themselves on their "exceptional" backsides.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

Well, I am truly sorry for those who are still struggling with new or continuing issues with their new Model S cars. That said, I am delighted to report that our "Ruby" has returned to full health and is safely at home gulping electrons after her harrowing and interrupted first road trip.

I cannot say enough about the professionalism, kindness, persistence and efficiency of the Seattle Service Team, newly led by James Maddux, my latest Tesla hero, and founded and overseen by Carl Medlock, my first Tesla hero.

Unlike FlasherZ and various others, S02001 "Ruby" had an actual manufacturing defect, a hardware gremlin. A tiny component of the primary onboard charger module failed "open" and triggered a cascade of safety protection modes in our car. Kudos to "Pete", an engineer on the charger design team, who piped into the furious email traffic flying back and forth between Seattle and Fremont, and around Fremont, on Christmas eve and on Boxing Day, and correctly fingered the offending part. James and his team were able to cannibalize the corresponding part from their designated testing and training car in Seattle, and have us back on the road within hours of the definitive diagnosis.

I have a simple and very inexpensive suggestion to Tesla for how to avoid this single-point failure by such a trivial component, and I intend to send it to them shortly.

In the end, Maggie and I focused on our family, Christmas, our (now more dear) friends in the Seattle area, including ChadS of this forum and his warm and welcoming family. We focused on building an effective relationship with more of Tesla's great people, and being patient with our still maturing new baby. The trip home in our repaired Model S was sweeter and more enjoyable than ever, knowing and appreciating even more deeply what a marvel of creativity and graceful invention it is, even in its lingering imperfection.

Keep the faith people. It is about us as an improving species; it is not about the tech.