Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4.1 - can't charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're welcome. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Yours might be a one-off as no others have reported a similar problem. It would be great if all the other minor 4.0 bugs got squared away with V4.1.

It may mean I have a 12v replacement needed, or maybe my car is the only one working properly on the 12v system *shrug*... I'll let Tesla figure it out then inform me.

Ok, folks. Here is another input, perhap related, perhaps not. We are in the midst of our first road trip in our new sig perf, picked-up in Vancouver Thursday am. We are half way on our outbound 450 mile leg.

Last night the car reported the available 4.1 update, but having seen this thread. I deferred it. So we are still running 4.0, but the update module has at least "seen" 4.1. After this, I charged for ten hours on a Blink charger overnight.

About 20 miles before our last intended outbound charge stop, we got a cascade of three warning alerts. The first said "Car needs service: May not restart", then a few minutes later, we got "Car needs service: Pull over safely now", then shortly after, the same message FlasherZ reported: " Car needs Service: Unable to charge".

We called Tesla Service right away, while still driving, and got "Andrew". He said they would pull the logs remotely while we drove, and asked if the car was behaving differently at all. I said no, and he indicated we could continue the few miles to the planned charge stop. He conferred with others briefly, and then said he would call back. He has not yet.

We parked the car at the charge location, and I tried to see if it would charge on a Roadster HPC (with a borrowed cable [thanks ChadS]). It showed a red port, on did nothing-- no further messages. Shortly after, my wife reported both screens went black, and could not be awakened. I unplugged, and got in. I tried rebooting the screens, unlocking the car, fastening the seatbelt, getting up and then sitting down again-- nothing! The 12V power seems still intact. The doors still open and close, handles and windows work, and I inadvertently triggered the alarm. But the car is otherwise deader than a door nail. Yikes!

I will try to contact Tesla again ASAP of course, but if someone could PM me the full reboot instruction, that might help at least get the car talking to them again.

Patience and calm, patience and calm. That is what I am working on here! :crying:

I will try to contact Tesla again ASAP of course, but if someone could PM me the full reboot instruction, that might help at least get the car talking to them again.

Patience and calm, patience and calm. That is what I am working on here! :crying:
Ouch! This sounds like the same "reboot" situation that the Karma had. Given the Roadster didn't have these issues, it's kind of worrying. Tesla needs to get on top of this quick!

According to here
hold both scroll wheel buttons down resets the center panel, hold both top buttons down resets the main display.
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/center-display-frozen-reset-options

A few hours ago I upgraded to version 4.1 (1.19.29). The car was connected and charging at the time. Everything appears to have completed uneventfully so far, both the software upgrade and the charging completed fine.

I haven't driven the car yet so I'll report back if there is anything to report. I have disconnected and reconnected the charging cables and the car is topping off without issue. Of course it only had a few miles of range to add so a longer charging period will be needed for a definitive answer regarding successful charging.

Larry

Update on S02001: Tesla is scrambling all resources to rescue us. They cannot determine that it is anything simple, and want the car back. They have dispatched a qualified and trained flatbed all the way from Seattle to us in Ellensburg. They hope to have the car picked up and back in Seattle by late tonight. But. It is snowing steadily now, and we may get 10 cm, perhaps more on Snoqualmie. I am quite worried about the safety of the car and the driver.

When I went back to the car to recover our luggage so we could get to our hastily rearranged lodging, when I unlocked the car, it rebooted the displays (from the deep sleep state). It then threw a new warning "Car needs service: 12V battery power low" hmmm, could this be the root cause? Or is this a bug with the sleep feature introduced in 4.0? In any case, this seems to be what is happening to the displays, they are being told to shut down to preserve power before the normal sleep delay (30 mins?).

I repeated this whole cycle again-- unlock, screens cold boot, low 12V power warnings, displays shut down one after another.

So there does seem to be some overlap between my symptoms and FlasherZ's. Both encompass 12V power management and its sleep function, and the cascade of problems that come from that, including inability to charge.

Tesla hopes to have answers to all this unfortunate mystery by tomorrow. I will let you all know.

I would emphasize that everyone at Tesla is being really kind and caring to my wife and I. They are doing everything possible to rescue our Christmas trip. I am choosing not to get mad. I am deeply disappointed of course, mostly because my confidence in the reliability of Model S is now inevitably shaken. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in our Roadster. I continue to hope for a quick resolution that results in a systemic quality improvement for everyone's benefit. I just hope this is as bad as it gets for anyone in these early giddy days.

It is also worth noting that the car did "fail" gracefully. We never felt in danger or compromised, and the driving dynamics were intact, right to the point we were able to choose to stop.

onward...

Charged three times since updating to 4.1.
No charging issues. Each charge on a NEMA 14-50 although different Amps (8, 20 & 40)

Also charged successfully last night after 4.1 update, and drove 180 miles today. About to finish charging full again. No issues, thankfully. Feel terrible for you guys having issues. I can't imagine what it would be like--especially for FlasherZ, who is certainly the battery expert of this forum! I have learned a lot from him.

The holiday may delay the reporting, but I promise this is going to make the news unfortunately. Having been a Volt owner when the whole "fire" incident happened, I can tell you it's not going to be reported accurately and will not be good.

Having owned a Fisker Karma for 11 months and 8000 miles, I will second that. For some reason the press is very scared of EV's and never sets context. e.g. the 187,000 ICE car fires that occurred in 2011.

FlasherZ/Vger, sorry to hear about your issues. Although it's unfortunate to be experiencing these issues, it seems like all of the drivetrain issues we've seen with the Model S have been 12V battery-related...and hopefully there will be a clear software fix soon. I have to admit though, given Elon's emphasis on initial quality, these issues are really shaking my confidence. It's reinforcing my belief that the Model S was put to market 6 months to a year too early.

Regardless, I don't think Tesla had a choice. Positive cash flow was necessary. We unfortunately just have to put up with this for a short time until Tesla gets the software kinks worked out.

Also charged successfully last night after 4.1 update, and drove 180 miles today. About to finish charging full again. No issues, thankfully. Feel terrible for you guys having issues. I can't imagine what it would be like--especially for FlasherZ, who is certainly the battery expert of this forum! I have learned a lot from him.

I'm rolling with it -- I'm an early adopter, finding the bugs to make it a better world for everyone else.

I drove the car 35 miles today, a 25 mile trip to family Christmas, after which the car recharged just fine; then I took a 10 minute trip and plugged in, it topped off okay as well tonight and is sitting with a full standard charge. Tomorrow morning it'll get a bit more of a work-out, we'll see if it returns but it seems like I may have experienced something strange related to 12v battery management by upgrading on a half-charge (I started the upgrade with 185 miles remaining yesterday).

Either way, I have a workaround -- just need to keep a load on the 12v battery and the car will charge.

- - - Updated - - -

FlasherZ/Vger, sorry to hear about your issues. Although it's unfortunate to be experiencing these issues, it seems like all of the drivetrain issues we've seen with the Model S have been 12V battery-related...

Very honestly, I'm not worried and my confidence isn't shaken. I expected the founders' units to generate a few things that needed to be fixed, I also expected that wider sig deployments would find a few things. If there was one area I was worried about, it's the cool/cold weather experience. Even if the cars require a retrofit of a new 12v battery system, it won't change my mind about the car. It's the only game changer out there.

Last edited:
Just trying to be helpful.... Do you have the FOB in hand or near the car; I don't think the port door will open without that condition present. Apologies if you have tried this already.

Yep, the FOB is in my pocket. I can hear the clunk, but the door doesn't open. It was also doing this when the car was delivered. The DS had to pry the door open and just shrugged it off saying that lots of the cars do this when new and after opening/closing a few times it will start working fine. Guess what? Not getting better.