Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4.1 - can't charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been informed that corporate knows of the problem I'm experiencing and is working on the fix.

There are no release notes for v4.1 other than "this is a maintenance release, here are the release notes for v4.0:"

The red colour with it's three month delivery wait is looking better and better (and I really didn't want a red car).

That sounds like a terrible work around. I hope they get that bug fixed quickly. Though at least I now know how to keep the radio on for parties in the park.

GL, fingers crossed for you.

It should be noted that this trick only works for about half an hour or so. Eventually the car's systems shut off, then the charging stops. I've just restarted it again (at 8:54 CT) and will try and time it.

- - - Updated - - -

The red colour with it's three month delivery wait is looking better and better (and I really didn't want a red car).

Some of the bugs will be ironed out, but I'm sure you'll get to experience your own, too... my car charged just fine until this update today. :)

I think we can see why they don't roll out updates all at once... Even with beta testers etc., its still possible for a serious bug to slip through. Even aircraft, which have crazy software certification requirements, occasionally have software bugs discovered in the field. Good luck on a quick fix!

I guess that's the thing with firmware updates. If a serious bug gets through, it could affect alot of cars in a short period of time. I know if my family depended on the S (and it would when we got ours), I'd be reluctant to upgrade to the new firmware until a good number of people have already done so and there's evidence it's free of serious bugs. I might willing to be an early adopter on my iPhone firmware, but not so on a car.

It should be noted that this trick only works for about half an hour or so. Eventually the car's systems shut off, then the charging stops. I've just restarted it again (at 8:54 CT) and will try and time it.

Yup. Half an hour. Charging stopped... *trods out to the garage to close and open the door again*

Guess I'm calling them on Monday.

No problems here. One comment though: don't wait to call Tesla Service, there's many a story where they've gone into action on weekends and late at night. Most of them seem to be working Saturdays and you'll generally get a response on Sundays also.

Edit: and I guess you did speak to them today....

I've been informed that corporate knows of the problem I'm experiencing and is working on the fix.

What do you have for "power the car off" mode? As I recall, wasn't that 30 minutes if you let it go completely to sleep?

I have sleep turned off because of my GPS problem (my antenna is temporarily behind the dash instead of beneath the rear glass, until they can get my car to Chicago). As a result it takes much much longer to get a nav fix from sleep mode.

- - - Updated - - -

No problems here. One comment though: don't wait to call Tesla Service, there's many a story where they've gone into action on weekends and late at night. Most of them seem to be working Saturdays and you'll generally get a response on Sundays also.

Edit: and I guess you did speak to them today....

I gave the local service manager a call after I dropped him, the territory service manager, and Chicago's service manager an e-mail. I figured they'd want to know sooner rather than later if this was update-related, so they could stop all the updates that might cause problems.

I hope you get this resolved. FW roll-back?

I've been quietly lurking on this and the official Tesla Motors Forum for quite some time and finally let the passive passionate addiction to this car, the company and its CEO's vision push me into joining today.

Since all of you are Model S "beta testers," ( many technically savvy, committed and game for the glitches inherent in a new, complex car such as this) it would seem a good idea if Tesla's engineers would select a number of you to roll out each firmware iteration to, give you a corporate email address to report your findings - or a restricted site - and minimize the fallout of these teething pains.

Some new owners pop up on this site and more often on the official Tesla forums who are caught unawares by the sw/fw revisions, as well as the new paradigm of owning a totally electric vehicle. Some just want to drive a glitch-free car and don't have the time or interest to attend these forums to learn all the ins and outs of cold-limited regen and power, buzzing ambient lights and low washer and tire sensor anomalies.

A more robust Owners' Manual would be great (which I'm sure is coming) as well as more detailed FW release notes mailed to each upgrade recipient, but limiting the roll outs to those who breathe for documenting and troubleshooting, who eat this stuff for breakfast, have both patience and curiosity and who have a benign, personal stake in Tesla's prosperity would have to be better than the seemingly random roll out that's going on now. We all know who you are. I think one started this thread.

It's still early and Tesla's doing their year-end production hyper-rush, gettin the care to you owners. As others have mentioned, the general public brought in by the COTY and unanimous praise will not be as forgiving. With staged/limited software roll outs the company can establish a solid, reliable feature progression and avoid eroding the goodwill of future owners and the grace of present ones.

I salute all you trailblazers!

Wow. Crap, maybe this will be the thing that will sway me to NOT take a trip from Boston to Charlotte (partially using the new SC network here). I'll be getting home tonight in need of a good charge -- we'll see how that goes.

Do you have v4.1(1.19.27) or v4.1(1.19.29)?

1.19.29 is what currently shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for clarity, FlasherZ is one who's contributed a wealth of technical knowledge on these forums. Here's a candidate.

Well thank you. As a lifelong IT guy, I try to help them as much as I can because I can be that (at least, I think) intelligent customer who can help troubleshoot based on what I'm seeing. I do have e-mail addresses of a number of Tesla folks internally, but try not to use them unless I have to.

Wow. Crap, maybe this will be the thing that will sway me to NOT take a trip from Boston to Charlotte (partially using the new SC network here). I'll be getting home tonight in need of a good charge -- we'll see how that goes.

Cinergi,

I don't know if your route goes near Smithfield, VA--but if so you're welcome to use the NEMA 14-50 in my garage. PM me if interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Well thank you. As a lifelong IT guy, I try to help them as much as I can because I can be that (at least, I think) intelligent customer who can help troubleshoot based on what I'm seeing. I do have e-mail addresses of a number of Tesla folks internally, but try not to use them unless I have to.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Yours might be a one-off as no others have reported a similar problem. It would be great if all the other minor 4.0 bugs got squared away with V4.1.