Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 of app drops Balanced/Cost Saving (Advanced Time-Based Control) options. Replaced with Time-Based Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the rational is with Fridays (not recharging PWs fully from solar)? I observed this behavior and thought it was a bug or something wrong with my PW system.
If you have a different weekend schedule, like the whole thing is Off-Peak, then it will not recharge with more expensive Friday generation and let the system catch up on the weekend. This assumes that you are on net metering and letting the energy go to the grid on Friday is more valuable than storing it.

FYI - I spoke with Tesla today and they said there's a known issue with Powerwalls not functioning correctly under TOU (the Tier 1 rep indicated that she received a dozen or so calls with the same problem today alone).

Tier 2 is apparently going to try and resolve the issue remotely.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
If you have a different weekend schedule, like the whole thing is Off-Peak, then it will not recharge with more expensive Friday generation and let the system catch up on the weekend. This assumes that you are on net metering and letting the energy go to the grid on Friday is more valuable than storing it.
Thank you for that clarification ... makes sense!

Yea, I misworded that. I meant to say: I only want the Powerwalls to discharge to the house between the hours of 4pm-9pm.
You can use Hubitat Rule Machine:
When time is 4:00 PM
disableStormwatch() on Tesla Powerwall
setBackupReservePercent(0) on Tesla Powerwall
Wait for event: When time is 9:00 PM
enableStormwatch() on Tesla Powerwall

setBackupReservePercent(100) on Tesla Powerwall

You can use Hubitat Rule Machine:
When time is 4:00 PM
disableStormwatch() on Tesla Powerwall
setBackupReservePercent(0) on Tesla Powerwall
Wait for event: When time is 9:00 PM
enableStormwatch() on Tesla Powerwall

setBackupReservePercent(100) on Tesla Powerwall
I don't think that will get me what I'm trying to achieve.

During the hours of 4pm to 9pm I want any available solar to power my house and excess solar sent to the grid. I only want the Powerwalls to power my house during those hours if there is insufficient solar to power my house. This would reduce unnecessary cycles on the Powerwalls.

Additionally, during all other hours, I don't want the Powerwalls to power my house and I want solar to power my house with the excess being used to recharge the Powerwalls. Once the Powerwalls are full then I want the house to run off solar with the excess going to the grid. An exception to this is I'd like the the solar to be prioritized to recharging the Powerwalls if it doesn't look like there will be enough solar to recharge the Powerwalls by 4pm unless the solar is prioritized to recharging the Powerwalls. This will reduce unnecessary NBCs.

Also, I don't have a Hubitat.

Does the command enableStormwatch() actually enable Stormwatch (causing the Powerwalls to recharge from the grid) or only allow it to be enabled if commanded by Tesla?

Time/ConditionActionStatusOutcome
12:00AM (Midnight)R = 100%SP, R = 100%S -> PW, xPW -> G
3:00PMR = 50%SP, R = 50%S -> H, (PW > R) -> H, xS -> PW, xPW -> G
4:00PMR = 0%SP, R = 0%S -> H, PW -> H, xS -> PW, xPW -> G
PW = Powerwall 2
R = Reserve
CS = Cost Saving Mode
SP = Self-Powered Mode
H = Home
G = Grid
C = Charge
S = Solar
xS = Excess Solar (relative to Home)
xPW = excess PW (PW @ 100%)
B = Balanced Mode
BO = Backup Only Mode
I’m PG&E customer and TOU schedule is Midnight to 3PM = OP (Off Peak), PP (Partial Peak) = 3PM-4PM & 9PM-Midnight, and P (Peak) = 4PM – 9PM. It seems PG&E has designed its times and rates to the disadvantage of solar (and Powerwall) customers. The above settings I hope will maximize the amount of S+PW I have available for use during PP and P, while permitting PW use during OP.

I have 2 PW and my records indicate 50% will last me at least 4PM to Midnight. If I generate less than 50% charge, I want all the charge available for P and 9PM-Midnight PP. I also manage Stormwatch so that I do not charge from G during P or PP.

Tesla forecasting is opaque and Tesla is not clear on how Cost Savings mode works. Here they say PW will charge from “excess solar”; while here they say PW will charge from “any solar.” In any case, Tesla app does not reserve PW charge for P. It can use PW for 3PM-4PM PP. This is inefficient if PW cannot cover all of P and PP—it might use some charge in PP that could be used in P.

Financially, one might want to dump all the solar you generate at P prices. The Tesla app will not support this and it might not be the most financially advantageous, depending upon your usage patterns. It seems to me the proper target is a system size and personal pattern of usage and generation that zeros out (or minimizes) your utility bill.

Unless you use all your solar generation as it is generated, a Powerwall may be a good investment, but adds significant cost that needs to be recovered. The Powerwall Manager SmartApp along with Hubitat Rule Machine can be a valuable tool to manage the Tesla behavior and help reduce cost recovery time.

Maybe this will help.

I don't think that will get me what I'm trying to achieve.

During the hours of 4pm to 9pm I want any available solar to power my house and excess solar sent to the grid. I only want the Powerwalls to power my house during those hours if there is insufficient solar to power my house. This would reduce unnecessary cycles on the Powerwalls.

Additionally, during all other hours, I don't want the Powerwalls to power my house and I want solar to power my house with the excess being used to recharge the Powerwalls. Once the Powerwalls are full then I want the house to run off solar with the excess going to the grid. An exception to this is I'd like the the solar to be prioritized to recharging the Powerwalls if it doesn't look like there will be enough solar to recharge the Powerwalls by 4pm unless the solar is prioritized to recharging the Powerwalls. This will reduce unnecessary NBCs.

Also, I don't have a Hubitat.

Does the command enableStormwatch() actually enable Stormwatch (causing the Powerwalls to recharge from the grid) or only allow it to be enabled if commanded by Tesla?
Enable Stormwatch does not cause charge from Grid, it merely enables control by Tesla.

I have seen comments/screen shots about selecting your rate plan and entering into the app buy/sell values for the various TOU rate plans. I’m using V4. When I installed it, it already knew my peak/partial peak & off peak times. Within the app I can adjust those times, but I don’t see any way to select a different rate plan, nor enter any buy/sell values.

Was that capability only in V3 of the app?

I don't know if anyone else has gotten this to work, but our system stopped sending solar back to the grid during peak time back in October, and Tesla has offered no fix for the issues. In fact, we routinely see our Powerwalls discharge during early morning off-peak hours, only to run out of energy during peak time hours later in the day.

We've called customer service and had this issue escalated to "tier 2" probably 3-4 times now in the last 3 months, with no follow-up.

I don't know if anyone else has gotten this to work, but our system stopped sending solar back to the grid during peak time back in October, and Tesla has offered no fix for the issues. In fact, we routinely see our Powerwalls discharge during early morning off-peak hours, only to run out of energy during peak time hours later in the day.

We've called customer service and had this issue escalated to "tier 2" probably 3-4 times now in the last 3 months, with no follow-up.
I had a similar temporary problem.
Log onto the gateway webpage, and click the summary.
On that page, for me it was showing "Self Consumption" instead of the "Balanced" mode that was showing in the app.
I reset the gateway by pushing a pencil (eraser end first) into the deep hole and holding for 10 seconds, then after a couple of minutes the summary page went to Balanced, and generation / exports started working as expected again.

As to why it flipped, I think it may have had something to do with my Wifi / Internet being reset and the gateway ended up only partially connected to Tesla's servers.

I was able to log into the TEG and clicked on the "summary" tab. The "Mode" was set to "Time-based control". I was able to change the "Mode" with the app to "Backup-only" and "Self-powered", and the TEG "mode" also changed nearly immediately. When I changed back to "Advanced" and "Cost Savings", the "Mode" went back to "Time-based control" - these settings were obviously in V3 of the app.

But, when I make similar changes using V4 of the app, the same settings changes in a similar manner (except that "Advanced" and "Balanced"/"Cost Savings" are no longer an option; instead, being replaced with "TOU").

I'll try doing a reset tomorrow, but I suspect this is not going to resolve the issue.

I did the reset and the "mode" still says "Time-based-control".

Currently, one gateway is using solar to charge the batteries and house; and the second gateway is using solar to charge the batteries and pulling from the grid to run the house. It's currently non-peak time.

I'll provide another update once we reach peak time around 3:00 p.m.