Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Dash Cam Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That last daytime clip seems fairly credible at first glance. However I'm 95% certain that the first nighttime clip is fake - too many angle of view changes that don't correspond to how the car is moving. I watched it many times, and there are just too many times the viewpoint slides left or right and up or down when the car isn't doing that. It seems like someone in the passenger seat holding a camera in the middle of the car and trying hard to hold it steady. And I had a brief exchange with the person who posted it on facebook - he was unwilling to provide any proof, like the original files or anything. (edit: he just admitted it's a fake)

Last edited:
Reports reveal FAT32 is required. So, I would imagine that would be the limiting factor for usable size (32GB?).

What would be the use case for 2TB?

Max partition size for FAT32 is about 8TB... Windows GUI won't let you format bigger than 32GB with FAT32, but tons of 3rd party tools will.

Until we know the codec/compression used for the video we've no idea what a "good" size is though.

2TB might be a great idea if it's capturing raw 720p/60 video and will eventually do so across 8 cameras and be configurable to run 24/7.

• Helpful
Reactions: xdmanalo
That last daytime clip seems fairly credible at first glance. However I'm 95% certain that the first nighttime clip is fake - too many angle of view changes that don't correspond to how the car is moving. I watched it many times, and there are just too many times the viewpoint slides left or right and up or down when the car isn't doing that. It seems like someone in the passenger seat holding a camera in the middle of the car and trying hard to hold it steady. And I had a brief exchange with the person who posted it on facebook - he was unwilling to provide any proof, like the original files or anything. (edit: he just admitted it's a fake)

WUT

Max partition size for FAT32 is about 8TB... Windows GUI won't let you format bigger than 32GB with FAT32, but tons of 3rd party tools will.

Until we know the codec/compression used for the video we've no idea what a "good" size is though.

2TB might be a great idea if it's capturing raw 720p/60 video and will eventually do so across 8 cameras and be configurable to run 24/7.

Thanks. Apparently (default settings?) currently capturing mp4 at 1280x960/36.

First look at Tesla's new built-in Dashcam using Autopilot cameras in action

Last edited:
Better than I thought it would be and better than nothing, but the quality and narrow field of view make it more limited than a dedicated dashcam.
It does have the capability to be better than any other aftermarket dash cam if they put more resources behind it. 4 side cameras, a rear camera, a forward camera and cabin cam, coupled with the ultrasonics could make for an awesome parking/security cam with the right software. I’d also hope Tesla might allow owners to view a livestream through the mobile app. If bandwitch is a concern, maybe they limit livestream to 10s etc.

Well, they did say this was essentially a bare-bones beta version and it'd improve significantly in v9.1 of the software... (which is where I expect it may eat a fair bit more space)

But yeah based on the link from xdmanalo even a 4GB key would be big enough to hold the full hour of video plus half a dozen 10-minute snapshots with what it's capturing at the moment.