Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 in the UK - 2018.42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my update like some others this week. It’s ok not great, silimar comments eg size of car in main instrument cluster is small.

Not seeing any comments about autopilot however. For me a big step back, and have had to switch it off places wher it used to be dead reliable. Hunting within the lane, twitchy, and even drifting into neigbouting lanes in the motorway which I’ve not seen in over a year. M X on AP 2. Others experiencing anything similar?

I got the update to v9 42.3 4 days ago. The autopilot seems more stable to me and the visuals are much better with better situational awareness of cars around me. The UI is a massive upgrade and prefer it to v8, but also have noticed a speed increase in the MCU for my 2.0 car. The only thing I haven't been able to get working is the dashcam, I've made the USB as stated but doesn't seem to work. In the manual it says cars pre August 2017 may not get dashcam which is pretty bad seeing as we have all the cameras. Anyone else not been able to get the dashcam to work on v9 with a 2.0 car?

I got the update to v9 42.3 4 days ago. The autopilot seems more stable to me and the visuals are much better with better situational awareness of cars around me. The UI is a massive upgrade and prefer it to v8, but also have noticed a speed increase in the MCU for my 2.0 car. The only thing I haven't been able to get working is the dashcam, I've made the USB as stated but doesn't seem to work. In the manual it says cars pre August 2017 may not get dashcam which is pretty bad seeing as we have all the cameras. Anyone else not been able to get the dashcam to work on v9 with a 2.0 car?

I don't have EAP so can't comment on that but I'd agree that the MCU is definitely quicker, the obvious one for me is Pin to Drive, which used to be a bit laggy for me but it's now butter smooth.

The Dashcam needs AP2.5 hardware, so anyone with 'just' AP2.0 hardware is out of luck at this point. There's been plenty of speculation over on the main Model S forum but I think the consensus is that the additional Nvidia hardware gives enough spare capacity to allow the video stream to be encoded to MPEG4 and written to the USB stick.

Got my update like some others this week. It’s ok not great, silimar comments eg size of car in main instrument cluster is small.

Not seeing any comments about autopilot however. For me a big step back, and have had to switch it off places wher it used to be dead reliable. Hunting within the lane, twitchy, and even drifting into neigbouting lanes in the motorway which I’ve not seen in over a year. M X on AP 2. Others experiencing anything similar?

For me (AP 2.5) Autopilot is an improvement in V9. It has now stopped swerving left when passing certain T-junctions (although not fully tested it on all previous problem junctions yet), which was very annoying in later builds of V8. In other respects I really can't tell any difference, except that auto-lane change now works on all dual-carriageways which is a major bonus for me as it never previously worked on my local stretch of the A43 around Towcester/Silverstone.

I'm not seeing any of your lane hunting or drifting issues. If anything it's even more solid than before when negotiating bends etc.

Alas, Spotify is as buggy as ever, sigh! The new interface is okay, maybe a slight improvement overall.

Media does seem to be a particular weak point for the Tesla's. Despite reports of both Spotify (here) and Slacker (US) bring buggy nothing seems to get fixed. Not to mention all the requests for Apple Carplay / Android Auto integration. Hell, at this point I'd be happy if they just let me see the radio text so I knew who was paying!

Drove to Liverpool today and I nearly had multiple heart attacks. On wider lanes it's ok but on narrower lanes in the 50 limit it kept hunting and was really not relaxing at all. I'm hoping the 42.3 update will fix this but for me it's better in some ways i.e. sees the lanes further ahead to navigate through junctions but just isn't as stable on the motorway. I used to go through 50 zones with just inches to spare left and right and now I just dont have the confidence.

Grey, grey endless grey. This must be the most boring interface of all time, whether it works or not.

+
AP continues to improve, especially its availability on all dual carriageways is a huge bonus, if only the UK didnt have the stupid "you have to nudge the steering wheel for a lane change" imposed on us in the UK that the US dont get.
Lust for left turns seems tuned out, but occasional wandering in lane if there is a small kink in the markings.
at least the horrible auto hide bar at the top is no more
a lot of the simplifications work well
generally responsive interface
now discordant appearance to the IC display (for pity's sake dont make that all grey too please)

-
49 shades of gray which is marginally worse than 50 shades of gray, and that apparently is saying something.
The whole UI needs to have higher contrast and larger text for at a quick glance use when driving, better still allow users to select their own color palette (addresses color blindness issues too)
trying to change the internet browser window size is dumb as you hit the address bar all the time.
Still cant remember a track position from Spotify or USB if you switch to the Radio.
No DAB text or graphics - how cool would it be to be able to copy the DAB text to a Spotify search
No idea what the sort order is for a search, unable to search an artist, then show all their albums in reverse date order.
Dancing cars in the IC - bloody distracting if you ask me, and if you dont know what you're seeing well just paint a blurred area or similar rather than showing to to world at large that the algorithms are still being tuned. Sat in traffic today and it looked like the truck in the adjacent lane was repeatedly trying to ram me!
Wheres the lines for clear traffic gone (previously the green ones). got in the car this morning, was running a bit late - woohoo no traffic, quarter mile later all the traffic shows up. Great, not. Should have gone the other route. At least with the free flowing traffic lines you had an idea if the map was updated or not due to the usual crap cell reception.
Also still no restored as v7 had, a way to set the map to north when it goes out of alignment when panning and pinch zoom without it returning to your gps position.

Worst thing is even the car is Midnight Silver aka gray so I dont even get a coloured car icon, perhaps this is Tesla way to try to get me to buy a new one!

/rant

v10 please ;)

To be fair, I like v9. About the "steering wheel nudge" for lane change has gone for me. I indicate and the car just goes for it, no more nudging and yes I'm in the UK. The autopilot is much better now with no more T-junction swerves and the regen on my single motor is much more powerful decelerating . The Grey is boring but you can always turn on satellite view if you want colour...I find maps better and prefer no green lines....I only want to know where traffic exists. Right I'm off to go play "Lunar Lander" now, try to beat my kids high score!

Whilst the 360° view in the instrument cluster has apparently improved considerably since the initial versions of v9 that went out in the US, it definitely still needs improvement...

TeslaV9IC.jpg

The truck ahead and to the right in the IC was actually directly in front and filling my entire view in stationary traffic.

Attachments

• 20181105_083034-1.jpg
    20181105_083034-1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 61
I think not a comms issue at all. Just unreliable detection by the vision algorithms, likely when the adjacent vehicle is so close it is too large to fit in the camera image so cant be detected as a whole truck - which is why it is worse for trucks than cars.

why Tesla elect to show the end user flaky data is quite beyond me.

Media does seem to be a particular weak point for the Tesla's. Despite reports of both Spotify (here) and Slacker (US) bring buggy nothing seems to get fixed. Not to mention all the requests for Apple Carplay / Android Auto integration. Hell, at this point I'd be happy if they just let me see the radio text so I knew who was paying!

If Spotify was bug free I would be very happy with it and wouldn't care about features like CarPlay etc. I actually prefer the fully integrated solution without the need for a phone. It's just very annoying when you get the spinning wheel of death or the dreaded machine gun track ending! I presume they are simply unable to fix these issues that have been there forever. I was hoping (but not really expecting) this to be fixed in V9, but it's obviously just a different UI with the same underlying Spotify code.

For me Tesla Spotify is both amazing and irritating at the same time! I wish it would just work like Apple stuff usually does....

Grey, grey endless grey. This must be the most boring interface of all time, whether it works or not.

+
now discordant appearance to the IC display (for pity's sake dont make that all grey too please)
-
49 shades of gray which is marginally worse than 50 shades of gray, and that apparently is saying something.
No DAB text or graphics - how cool would it be to be able to copy the DAB text to a Spotify search
Dancing cars in the IC - bloody distracting if you ask me
Wheres the lines for clear traffic gone (previously the green ones)
Worst thing is even the car is Midnight Silver aka gray so I dont even get a coloured car icon, perhaps this is Tesla way to try to get me to buy a new one!

/rant

v10 please ;)
Lol @thegruf you have a midnight silver car and don't like shades of grey! :D

Good summary, I concur with a lot of the above. I have AP1 so v9 is all about the interface change for me. Back in the mists of time I think Elon said AP1 and AP2 would be enhanced in parallel once AP2 had parity, clearly that isn't going to be the case. But I feel quite lucky given how long it took to get parity (most of the time) in the end.

One change they have made to the IC display is the app icons when you scroll to show different displays on the left or right - and I quite like these, they are cleaner / clearer than the old picture icons.

Maybe one day we'll get DAB text back - and graphics for FM/DAB stations. A bit disappointing that this hasn't been addressed given that the media player seems to have been given more attention and priority than some of the other apps. And a great idea to be able to use the text for searches.
I actually like the lack of green clear traffic info as it's much easier to spot areas of congestion, but I get the fact that non-green can now mean either clear or no-data (or not zoomed in enough in urban areas). Something to watch out for.
The AP1 cars have always danced about in slow/stationary traffic - but maybe it's more distracting in AP2? Something I've got used to - and when moving at speed it seems a lot smoother.

Personally I don't mind the grey but some features definitely seem to be trickier to operate. I'm having a particular issue with the heated rear seats / steering wheel which is (a) now a smaller target to aim for and (b) seems impossible to select without turning on climate control at the same time. So if I just want to switch on the heated steering wheel [climate off]:
v8 [car controls icon] - [winter settings] - [wheel icon] - 3 taps, 2 if winter settings were previously selected
v9 [climate button (switches on climate)] - [winter settings] - [wheel icon] - [climate settings] - [climate off] - 5 taps, or 3 + steering button to turn off climate. And it's a smaller area at the bottom of the screen so more distracting to operate.

Read good and bad things about V9 pressed the button now...waiting

ha, ha, on the whole I think V9 is an improvement, but it's enough of a change to disorientate you at first and it doesn't solve any of the media player bugs. It's still a pretty intuitive UI, just a bit different. I've had it for a few days now and I wouldn't want to go back to V8. I found the new climate controls a bit confusing at first, but got my head around them now and I think its better to show both front and rear climate settings on a single page (if you have a 6 or 7 seat MX).

Has anyone else with a 6 or 7 seat MX noticed that the rear climate control in V9 appears to have lost the functionality of switching off the rear climate when there are no rear passengers? Or at least it's not so obvious whether it is disabled without the message you got in V8.