Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 in the UK - 2018.42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this helps your climate workflow, and you probably already know this,but a long press of the climate button toggles climate on/off without having to go into the climate screen.
Perfect, if I knew this I'd forgotten (as I tend to use the steering wheel these days). To be fair, I haven't read the release notes or manual carefully yet (not very keen on sitting outside, in the dark, in November to do this!).

One other thing I _really_ like about v9 is the ability search and share a route destination with the car via your phone, so it's already plugged into the Nav when you get into the car. I'm hoping that 9.0 focused mainly on the UI (and autopilot improvements), with additional Nav features like way points and such like are coming next...

I've never figured out which icons are for the front and rear demisting?

Mine's an S and the rear demister is the icon on the left of the two. If you're ever unsure, double tap one of them. If it's the rear one you'll toggle it on and off. If it's the front demister the double tap will apply max temperature and fan speed, the temp indicator showing "Hi".

...One other thing I _really_ like about v9 is the ability search and share a route destination with the car via your phone, so it's already plugged into the Nav when you get into the car. I'm hoping that 9.0 focused mainly on the UI (and autopilot improvements), with additional Nav features like way points and such like are coming next...

even better if you are logged onto your google account on your PC, you can share a detailed route from google maps on your PC to your phone and upload it to your car. Waypoints at last - sort of.

Yup. Just checked, you're absolutely right. Thats all it does.
Tesla really have to do better than this.

I love Tesla just as much as anyone else but they really have to get some of the basics sorted.
No waypoints just really doesnt cut it these days, especially given the (admittedly minor) amount of route planning required.

And the media player - I despair - if it wasn't screwed to the car it would be on the roadside by now.
I guess being a Roon user I am spoilt.

Yup. Just checked, you're absolutely right. Thats all it does.
Tesla really have to do better than this.

I love Tesla just as much as anyone else but they really have to get some of the basics sorted.
No waypoints just really doesnt cut it these days, especially given the (admittedly minor) amount of route planning required.

And the media player - I despair - if it wasn't screwed to the car it would be on the roadside by now.
I guess being a Roon user I am spoilt.

+1
Waypoints would be nice to have, but FFS sort out the media player bugs first! It's worse than ever in V9 42.3 requiring an MCU reboot at the start of nearly every trip to get Spotify out of the spinning wheel of doom!

FFS sort out the media player bugs first! It's worse than ever in V9 42.3 requiring an MCU reboot at the start of nearly every trip to get Spotify out of the spinning wheel of doom!

I'm almost at the point of giving up and reverting to BT streaming from my iPhone/Apple Music instead. Although even having tried that I couldn't seem to work out how to change what was playing or even view what music was available.

I'm almost at the point of giving up and reverting to BT streaming from my iPhone/Apple Music instead. Although even having tried that I couldn't seem to work out how to change what was playing or even view what music was available.

The odd time I've tried streaming music directly from my iPhone, the sound quality was relatively poor and certainly no match for the built-in Spotify streaming. Also had the same problem with viewing and playing specific content. It just seemed to play tracks at random!

Really I do love the built-in Spotify, but the constant hangups spoil the experience. Maybe we all need to bombard Tesla with bug reports again! I sent a couple yesterday when I had to reboot the MCU yet again to clear the spinning wheel. I seem to have a problem nearly every time I temporarily lose signal. It just doesn't recover properly when the signal returns and often leaves Spotify hanging. Sometimes has the same issue when simply stopping and re-starting the car. Tune-in seems a little better, but can sometimes hang up too. Only the crippled radio seems to keep plodding away and that is my usual fallback if Spotify and Tune-in are dead and I can't be arsed to reboot on a short trip!

Just lucky I guess but really no issue at all with media on V9 42.3. If anything seems to buffer Spotify better. MCU1, BTW. Apple music off iphone on downloaded music (so 256k AAC) is better still. I don't think Spotify streams to the Tesla account at full quality. Are you using your own account set at a higher rate and hence the issues? Could be ios 12, but the iphone also seems to connect faster.

Last edited:
Just lucky I guess but really no issue at all with media on V9 42.3. If anything seems to buffer Spotify better. MCU1, BTW. Apple music off iphone on downloaded music (so 256k AAC) is better still. I don't think Spotify streams to the Tesla account at full quality. Are you using your own account set at a higher rate and hence the issues? Could be ios 12, but the iphone also seems to connect faster.

I'm V9 42.3 MCU1 too and Spotify when working is better sound quality than iPhone, although I think that was Apple music being streamed rather than downloaded content. TBH I'm not a huge audiophile and on my 4 mile commute it's not the end of the world but the damn thing should just work :mad:. It's also the inconsistency of it, sometimes it'll work for ages than it won't, a reboot will work, then it won't. Massive 1st world problem I know.

• Funny
Reactions: unbelievable

I wonder if your luck is because of your signal strength? Where we live out in the sticks signal strength is all over the place and constantly switching back and forth from E to 3G to LTE. It seems to be this switching that causes the hangups rather than the actual signal strength as it copes very well with low strength signals when it's actually working. The first day I had V9 42.3 I thought it was better, but now it's as bad as ever. Some later versions of V8 seemed better in this respect, but the final version of V8 I had wasn't great either.

I have very briefly tried downloaded Apple music off iPhone (some of it lossless quality too) but I didn't think it was that great and the volume was very low for some reason - although I didn't spend much time on the settings other than checking my phone output volume, which helped a little. But with the lack of sight of my music library it didn't seem like a viable solution.

I thought the Tesla Spotify account did stream at premium quality and it does state that it is a premium account on the Spotify website. I don't have my own premium Spotify account to compare. Regardless, the sound quality on Tesla Spotify is very good and certainly a big step above DAB radio or Tune-in internet radio. I have no issues really other than the freezing when I know there is a decent signal.

I'm going to get the SC to check my car next time I'm there just to make sure I don't have a physical problem, but from all the other complaints it seems more likely to be an inherent issue with the current system.

I also have MCU1 (early 2018 build).

It's also the inconsistency of it, sometimes it'll work for ages than it won't, a reboot will work, then it won't.

That's my experience too. Some later versions of V8 almost (but not quite!) had this problem licked and I didn't have to reboot for weeks on end - just had to flick between Tune-in and Spotify to wake it back up (which of course shouldn't be required!). Then it started happening again on and off. Now I'm rebooting on average once a day and even a reboot isn't a guarantee of success anymore. Had to do it twice the other day to get it going.

Although a First World problem, for me in-car music is a priority and this spoils what would otherwise be the best and most convenient in-car system I've ever experienced. Having the whole premium Spotify library to hand is wonderful and makes my phone music library totally obsolete, but what a PITA when it hangs up on you!

I experience this reboot-to-fix-spotify thing as well... I assume it's because the car lives underground, so no cell or wifi signal to speak of...

It's been an issue for ages - at one point I'd have to reboot once outside to get any kind of LTE reception at all...

Hopefully at some point they'll push 42.2 out via cell, and I can finally join the party!

I’m still waiting for V9 but I drove into Tesla today to leave my car with them and guess what I got the update.

Sadly my car is staying with them but I Fido have a loaner with V9 to play with. The seat heater and HVAC is really strange to get us to