Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 in the UK - 2018.42.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still waiting for V9 but I drove into Tesla today to leave my car with them and guess what I got the update.

Sadly my car is staying with them but I Fido have a loaner with V9 to play with. The seat heater and HVAC is really strange to get us to

The HVAC setting screen is a bit of a mess for sure and looks awful. Possibly the worst bit of V9 as far as the UI refresh goes? Still preferring V9 overall though.

no kidding, what a shambles - it took me an age to find the the rear heated seats and other cold weather controls.
Why dont they just put a big £D cutaway image of the car interior so you can select stuff, along the lines of what they do for the exterior primary controls.

I'm sure they will polish it but right now, although it is better than v8 it in some ways it really needs a heck of a lot of work.
Media player is still a major disappointment, Nav has gone backwards, the IC has cars jumping all over it, internet pages have the bottom chopped off, the list goes on.

I am generally very willing to get with new stuff and like to give it a chance but really color me very unimpressed with a lot of v9.
Half baked through poorly thought out to downright badly executed. And this from a leading Silicon Valley software company.

Most importantly Tesla have to learn that this interface has to be used at a glance not stared at for uncomfortably long periods whilst driving trying to resolve marginal shades of gray, small text or other detail or require multiple presses to get to basic functions.

Reactions: Sabre Man
arrrgh.

Never in 3 years of Tesla ownership to date have I got stuck in unexpected jams thanks to the fantastic tech and the traffic information.
Now twice in <1 week courtesy of the flipping A14 and all the roadworks and all because Tesla removed a key feature of the mapping system which showed free flowing traffic, or if it wasn't flowing there would be no green line so you could see if there was a problem ahead.

I am really pissed at Tesla about this. V9 is a Major Downgrade in functionality in this respect.

ffs Tesla put back the free traffic lines please, or if you can't be bothered to do that at least make the damn browser stop crashing and be vaguely useful enough that we can use (the excellent) teslawaze which is now essentially unusable in spite of @ericwol best efforts.

If you press the fan at the bottom to open the HVAC controls, there's then a heated seats icon on a left (three squiggles). :)

Not my image:
42812069_750369915313002_4424792621855402531_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you press the fan at the bottom to open the HVAC controls, there's then a heated seats icon on a left (three squiggles). :)

Not my image:
42812069_750369915313002_4424792621855402531_n.jpg

Yeah, took me a little while to discover this too. There's just something about the design of the new HVAC setting screen that makes it more confusing than it actually is. It also appears to have lost the functionality of automatically switching off the rear HVAC when there is nobody seated there (or if it still does do that there is no indication). Also V9 doesn't show the bio-defence icon in place of the fan icon like it used to in V8. I always thought that was a nice touch so you could instantly see it was on.

On the plus side I do like the way it merges the front temperature display into one when temp sync is switched on. So at least they did put some thought into it!

Since V9 I've noticed that my phone (iPhone X) starts streaming over Bluetooth all the time (even though i'm just listening to the radio in the car). I only noticed when i finished a journey and released my phone was warm and running low on charge. I've also been unable to enter the Pin to Drive twice as I've had a area of the screen disrupted by a black line that required a reboot to fix.

@Graphene - not weird, but maybe a bit frustrating for you. Tesla have a policy of not upgrading vehicles all at the same time.
If you head over to teslafi.com you can view the firmware rollout and percentage of the fleet on various builds.

One action you can take to improve your chances however are to ensure your car is on wifi as much of the time as possible.
It might just be worth a reboot of the main display just in case something is a bit out of shape in the software stopping the update - press and hold the two scroll wheels on the sterring wheel until the screen goes off and reboots (I was told this by Tesla support awhile back but have no direct evidence if it makes any difference).
If you get more than 3 months behind you could try calling your SC to see if they can help, but generally they are not allowed to push updates, although will typically update your car if it is in for service/repair.

Elon has suggested future software will provide the ability to call an update - we will have to see if/what/when this is delivered though.

The positive take is that those of us that do have v9 are just knocking off the rough edges for you, so you will (hopefully) get a better build.

I am on 18.44 at present BUT haven’t tried it as my car has been in the service centre for the past week with a broken internal heater so no hot air in the cabin. Makes it almost undrivable in these temps mainly because you can’t demist the windscreen.

I actually really like v9.

does corrupted graphics include not showing the green clear traffic lines? Can't see when a road is closed now. I want my lines back or some indication of roads closed. Bloody A14 nightmare. </grumble>

No, I think it's now intended to only show orange and red traffic lines. I actually prefer it that way although there is now no distinction between roads with and without active traffic monitoring. But I don't see how that would make any difference to your choice of route.

There was a rumour that V9 rollout was paused due to the corruped graphics people are reporting.

Not sure if this applies to all models/variations, if indeed it’s true at all.

Not sure if the role out is stopped, but corrupted graphics is real, I can’t often ‘set charge level’ in the car due to the controls being completely broken. Have to use the app...

I’m a 2017 Feb build 90D.

I have seen little change in Autopilot with version 9, except the car now changes lane immediately on indicating and quicker which is an appreciable improvement. I can now pull out between two cars passing which was just not possible before with about 2 second delay before lane change even started.

It is good to see graphics of cars behind and to the side, but Tesla needs to sort out them jumping around. Also stop the phantom car behind in heavy rain!

I don’t really have any problems with the URL - I have managed to find my way around after a few minutes exploring the new interface.

Couple problems I have not heard otherwise which I am suffering, which I don’t know if V9 related, or not;

1) On a couple of occasions I have lost all sound inside the car (no ding on autopilot, or indicators). I have had to lock the car and unlock and rebook MCU to cure.

2) There has been a couple times I have lost contact with the car from the phone app. Pretty worrying when I was overseas and it is at airport parking, in case it might have been stolen. Thankfully all was well, and just had to rebook MCU to regain contact. I have been doing that too much of recent. Hope next software update solves these problems.

@Graphene - not weird, but maybe a bit frustrating for you. Tesla have a policy of not upgrading vehicles all at the same time.
If you head over to teslafi.com you can view the firmware rollout and percentage of the fleet on various builds.

One action you can take to improve your chances however are to ensure your car is on wifi as much of the time as possible.
It might just be worth a reboot of the main display just in case something is a bit out of shape in the software stopping the update - press and hold the two scroll wheels on the sterring wheel until the screen goes off and reboots (I was told this by Tesla support awhile back but have no direct evidence if it makes any difference).
If you get more than 3 months behind you could try calling your SC to see if they can help, but generally they are not allowed to push updates, although will typically update your car if it is in for service/repair.

Elon has suggested future software will provide the ability to call an update - we will have to see if/what/when this is delivered though.

The positive take is that those of us that do have v9 are just knocking off the rough edges for you, so you will (hopefully) get a better build.

Thanks for all the info. The car is mainly on 4G because our WiFi doesn’t reach to the car, that might have something to do with it, although I’ve heard the software should update over cellular just the same. The car is very new (collected this month) so it is strange it wasn’t shipped with V9.

Not in a rush to get V9 anyway, I just don’t hear about many people who are still on V8. I’ll try doing a screen reboot tomorrow.