Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Poll: How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

• I love it / I don't mind it

• I am going to spam the forums with multiple threads about why I hate it and sign a petition to Elon.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amount of taps are the same on version 8 and 9 in these scenarios though? In 8, replacing camera with map takes just one tap: tap on map. App tray does not disappear when camera is on top so there is no need to open the app tray in version 8. Also you can put the car on reverse in both versions and camera appears with 0 taps.

In version 8 bringing up camera instead of map on top: one tap to show app tray, second to open camera. Same on version 9: one tap to open app tray, second to open camera. Both have same variability as version 8 needs only one tap when map is not on top (app tray open all the time) and version 9 has the single swipe if camera was the last used app. But basically again same.

Version 9 does take away flexibility in showing app tray all the time and selecting the top app though.
Well, since I didn’t like the app tray always open, and never used camera on top, I prefer new interface. I also find the position on the bottom of the screen much easier to use. Looks like there are a lot of people who
liked the camera on top, but I really don’t see it being changed back.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and spectrum
Well, since I didn’t like the app tray always open, and never used camera on top, I prefer new interface. I also find the position on the bottom of the screen much easier to use. Looks like there are a lot of people who
But isn’t that the beauty of the old UI, the flexibility allowed you to use it like you like and I could use
It the the way I preferred. This pile of s**t is worthless to me.

But isn’t that the beauty of the old UI, the flexibility allowed you to use it like you like and I could use
It the the way I preferred. This pile of s**t is worthless to me.
Only if you liked it! I didn't particularly like the old interface, so I prefer it now. I like the app drawer and I think it's easier to access than the top menu. I think it looks nicer, and it's easier / faster to access the things I use most. I don't know any other car that gives a constant rear camera view, and I really don't see the draw of it. And, that's really the only significant complaint I've heard about the new UI. And it's not as if it's difficult to bring up now, it's just located a few inches lower. Map is always visible, media is basically always visible (or just a single button push away, and the camera is just a swipe up. I'm sorry you dislike the new interface so much, but I don't think any significant change is coming anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
Some of the most interesting times to be on TMC are when significant software updates occur. They reveal a lot about individual personalities and use cases that some of us wouldn't have ever considered. And about members' tolerance for change.
I don't know ...... people can be very flexible about change, but if it's something they just don't like - or feel like they got something taken away - then, they just hate it .... it doesn't necessarily fall into the same "generally flexible" bin. Maybe some people equate loss of features with going in to the SC because their ventilated leather was messed up due to being poorly manufactured, but when the car comes back, it's no longer ventilated .... or the SC swapped out the inter altogether & tell you the new color is all they offer now - never giving you the option to just keep your prior / old / wrinkling leather. The very fact that we are all electric car drivers though, evinces how we are all generally willing to try new stuff. imo, if this thread reveals anything - it might just be how little we members care about the fellow members - just because we share different views. God forbid - any of those who can actually tolerate the new UI, or members that actually love it, should stick together w/those that don't - & ALSO petition Tesla with the message, "hey, it really isn't cool to not let owners roll back". After all, someday, the shoe maybe on the other foot. Yea, I know that member solidarity won't happen apparently, because after all, "it's all about ME" now days. Too bad.

Last edited:
I don't know ...... people can be very flexible about change, but if it's something they just don't like - or feel like they got something taken away - then, they just hate it .... it doesn't necessarily fall into the same "generally flexible" bin. Maybe some people equate loss of features with going in to the SC because their ventilated leather was torn up due to being poorly manufacture, but when the car comes back, it's no longer ventilated .... or the SC swapped out the inter altogether & tell yoy the new color is all they offer now - never giving you the option to just keep your prior / old / wrinkling leather. The very fact that we are all electric car drivers though, evinces how we are all generally willing to try stuff. imo, if this thread reveals anything - it might just be how little we members care about the fellow members - just because we share different views. God forbid - any of those who can actually tolerate the new UI, or members that actually love it, should stick together w/those that don't - & ALSO petition Tesla with the message, "hey, it really isn't cool to not let owners roll back". After all, someday, the shoe maybe on the other foot. No, I know that memver solidarity won't happen apparently, because after all, "it's all about ME" . Too bad.
You saved me a lot of typing. Exactly THIS!

I don't know ...... people can be very flexible about change, but if it's something they just don't like - or feel like they got something taken away - then, they just hate it .... it doesn't necessarily fall into the same "generally flexible" bin. Maybe some people equate loss of features with going in to the SC because their ventilated leather was messed up due to being poorly manufactured, but when the car comes back, it's no longer ventilated .... or the SC swapped out the inter altogether & tell you the new color is all they offer now - never giving you the option to just keep your prior / old / wrinkling leather. The very fact that we are all electric car drivers though, evinces how we are all generally willing to try new stuff. imo, if this thread reveals anything - it might just be how little we members care about the fellow members - just because we share different views. God forbid - any of those who can actually tolerate the new UI, or members that actually love it, should stick together w/those that don't - & ALSO petition Tesla with the message, "hey, it really isn't cool to not let owners roll back". After all, someday, the shoe maybe on the other foot. Yea, I know that member solidarity won't happen apparently, because after all, "it's all about ME" now days. Too bad.
I certainly didn't intend for it to be taken as a personal attack, which is why I pointed out that it highlights use cases that many of us don't necessarily see at first. But I do think it speaks at least somewhat to change tolerance in some cases, like the post above mine which resorted to profanity. It is worth using that term to describe a software version?

There's plenty of member solidarity, and there is no more "all about ME" today than there ever was, except in terms of how people often act towards one another on an anonymous forum. Get face to face, or treat each other as if we're face to face, and everyone here will have plenty to agree on.

Regardless, I apologize if I didn't phrase my quick post properly and you took offense - I promise that's not my intent here.

I think part of the reason why people are so mad is because it “removed” functionality

What I mean to say is, the extra flexibility of the screen is something we previously had (showing it can be done), and then in the “upgrade”, it removed the feature.

For example, It’s different when we don’t have EAP, and in the next update we still don’t have it and keep waiting.
But what if the next upcoming update had working EAP, and in November the following update just took it away?

I think part of the reason why people are so mad is because it “removed” functionality

What I mean to say is, the extra flexibility of the screen is something we previously had (showing it can be done), and then in the “upgrade”, it removed the feature.

For example, It’s different when we don’t have EAP, and in the next update we still don’t have it and keep waiting.
But what if the next upcoming update had working EAP, and in November the following update just took it away?
They didn't remove any functionality. They rearranged the UI or, technically, they changed how you navigate to the functions. Every function is still there, it is just accessed and/or positioned differently.

They didn't remove any functionality. They rearranged the UI or, technically, they changed how you navigate to the functions. Every function is still there, it is just accessed and/or positioned differently.
Imagine that you bought a large flat-screen television for your home. Sometimes you watch news, other times you watch sports, other times movies. It's your choice, and life is good.

One day, the manufacturer updates your TV so that it always has the news channel on in the background. When you want to watch a movie, it appears in a smaller window on top of the news. You can move the smaller window around, but you can't make it take up the full screen like it used to. You can't get rid of the news channel; it's always on and visible.

Then your neighbor says, "why are you complaining? Every function is still there, it is just accessed and/or positioned differently."

But it's harder to enjoy a movie now.

Last edited:
Some of the most interesting times to be on TMC are when significant software updates occur. They reveal a lot about individual personalities and use cases that some of us wouldn't have ever considered. And about members' tolerance for change.

In terms of tolerance for change there is very little to compare it to because a car isn't really like anything else.

A lot about a car is muscle memory, and when you've had a car for a bit of time you get used to how you have it setup. It's probably why Tesla loaners are so popular. it's not just that it's an EV, but that it operates just like we're used to. In fact it's part of the argument for this new UI as it unifies the S/X/3.

Right now that unification has positives (like the triple view possibility), and drawbacks (no way to remove the nav screen, and inflexibility in what goes on top).

From a technical perspective I don't think there is anything preventing nav from being selectable. In fact one of Elon's many promises was to have a feature that allowed you to turn off the center screen or parts of the screen you didn't want.

I remember that promise simply because that's the one I wanted the most.

My take on this whole discussion is we have a lot of creative people, and it's a user base of people who drive the various cars (X, S, 3). So I'm not sure why so much focus has been on agree/disagree, and taking sides versus trying to push Tesla to something better than it is right now.

I don't think Tesla introduced this UI as being something set in stone. I'm sure they expected customer feedback.

I'm highly against the OP's tendency to disagree with everyone critical of the new UI. I don't think Tesla is even okay with criticizing people for expressing what they feel about the new UI.

Tesla has to balance two sides with a UI.

We all understand that Tesla has to innovate, and to line up the UI with what's coming down the pipe.

But, Tesla also has to be careful about alienating their existing long term customer base. Obviously if you own a product that does some function you don't want that function taken away.

The major SW changes do tend to be the the most interesting time to be on TMC. But, those that are the most resistant to change are those that have to give up something for getting hardly anything. The people prior to AP2 don't get a whole lot with this update.

It's easy to accept change when it's beneficial to you.

I would say they removed two functions.

1.) The ability to have maps not on the screen
2.) The ability to move an app (energy, rearview camera, etc) to the top of screen.

And, they added two functions.

1.) The ability to have three "apps" on the screen at once versus only two.
2.) The ability to have flexible sizing of an app. Before an app could either take up one tile or both tiles.

We do have to be careful of what we claim isn't a function.

People are really sensitive to size, and location of a UI elements. As an example in a previous firmware update older owners complained about fonts being too small, and too hard to read. To them it was a functional loss over the previous version. They complained and Tesla improved the fonts.

Last edited:

You said you only keep the camera open when parking so you moved it down every time? Three taps: one to open app tray from map, second to open camera and third to move camera down?

I believe every Model S and X software version before version 9 opened the camera on top by default even version 8. It is not surprising that people used the camera on top because it has been default until now. It was also logically closer to line of sight where even version 9 still places it during reversing if camera app is not open?

It is surprising and seems rare to hear you have kept the camera open only when parking but still always moved it from top where it opens to bottom manually for each such duration?

Your scenario seems much more rare than people opening the camera to its top location that is no longer possible.

Last edited:
You said you only keep the camera open when parking so you moved it down every time? Three taps: one to open app tray from map, second to open camera and third to move camera down?

I believe every Model S and X software version before version 9 opened the camera on top by default even version 8. It is not surprising that people used the camera on top because it has been default until now. It was also logically closer to line of sight where even version 9 still places it during reversing if camera app is not open?

It is surprising and seems rare to hear you have kept the camera open only when parking but still always moved it from top where it opens to bottom manually for each such duration?

Your scenario seems much more rare than people opening the camera to its top location that is no longer possible.
I don’t remember for sure where it opened by default, but I didn’t move it. Wherever it was, I only used it for parking and don’t see the necessity of having it open all the time. I tried it, but didn’t like it. Doesn’t matter though, Tesla seems to have made a decision. And I’d be willing to bet that they made the decision based on some data. They likely could tell who used what.

I would say they removed two functions.

1.) The ability to have maps not on the screen
2.) The ability to move an app (energy, rearview camera, etc) to the top of screen.
3. The ability to see whether a particular road has traffic data. (Previously, you could always tell because it was green. Now, there is no way to distinguish between "road is clear" and "data is not available for this road". The lack of green may also make it harder to tell which side of the road has a problem when an orange or red line is displayed.)

4. The ability to see the status of headlights, DRLs, and fog lamps on a visual representation of the car. (The avatar in the IC only shows whether headlights are on, but does not indicate DRL or fog status. It's much easier to glance at a visual representation of the car's front end than it is to scan all the rows of buttons and think about what their positions mean.)