Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Poll: How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

• I love it / I don't mind it

• I am going to spam the forums with multiple threads about why I hate it and sign a petition to Elon.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
v8: 1 tap to reveal hidden top-row icons, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if top app was not Nav, direct tap on app icon = 1)

v9: 1 tap on new bottom-row icon to bring up popup app selector, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if desired app is Music, then direct tap on app icon in bottom row = 1)

Seems like the same number to me.
Well, actually v9 is more taps because some Tesla software dweeb felt I only needed one app up at a time, so now I'm constantly double-tapping between music, browser (Teslawaze is a generation ahead of Tesla's map when it comes to information), and camera.

If the dweebs really felt the need to change something, why couldn't they make the damn mirrors stay folded until my butt is in the seat?

The only difference in clicks (that I'm aware of) is one less click to get to Settings. Before I'd have to navigate to the Controls screen & then select the Settings page. Now it's all on one page. Otherwise it seems the same. And I do love being able to minimize the music screen.
Yes, looking at the screenshots others have posted, I do like that part of the redesign. Combining the Controls and Settings pages into one list is definitely an improvement.

My concerns about v9 have to do with the removal of features with no equivalent replacement. For example, the Lights control always had a visual image of the car's front end that showed the actual status of the lights. This was a detail I showed off to everyone who rode in the car, and it was useful to be able to confirm at a glance that all lights were turned off. In v9, there's a new Exterior Lights control which appears to be exactly what I would want, except they've taken away the status image:

RfC6AAp.jpg

v9:
JPwcSPG.jpg

(why do the Front Fog and Ambient Lights buttons look different from the other on/off toggle switches?)

Last edited:
v9: 1 tap on new bottom-row icon to bring up popup app selector, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2

On version 8, the top row icons menu is always visible, unless the Map is on top, which is not required. If I use the map at all (rare, because I’ve been there before) the map is on the bottom, specifically because it does not cover the top controls. In version 9, there is no top menu at all, ever. And the map is always on top which is unnecessary most of the time, and a huge waste of space.

Last edited:
24 positive votes, 23 negative votes. Oh lawd...
Thats just the popular vote, we still have the electoral vote to count ;)

I just had five years of experience using the old OS, now I have lost muscle memory on how to do things.. and yes the damn buttons are too small. I always ride with NAV on top and Media on the bottom... this new set up is weird..

What I've learned from posting perhaps the most controversial thread of TMC history:

It's sad how people will find anything to complain about despite having the top 10% privilege of owning one of the most amazing pieces of technology mankind has ever built.

I don’t know man I think you need to start a few more threads and polls to really drive your point home

Apparently 51.9% of users love it or are okay with it too. We’re just not entitled vocal zealots like you.

"Entitled vocal zealots" - Give me a break.

Why do TMC posters resort to name calling so quickly?. Reading TMC was much more informative and fun in the Roadster days.

People that want to continue to have Music, Web, or Camera on top are not suggesting that people that want Maps on top should be denied. Why insist everyone to have to live with your preference every day instead of their own preference? It makes no sense to me.

GSP

......snip..... It's sad how people will find anything to complain about despite having the top 10% privilege of owning one of the most amazing pieces of technology ....snip......
'anything' - a superlative, is not the issue. It's a few functions that 'some' owners disapprove of ... & they're disapproving anywhere between irritation, too unacceptable, to absolute hatred. Referring to my use of the word 'some' quantities of owners - i mean that late on the 9th of October, the SC told us that our state's SC's - (the largest # of tesla owners) were averaging 80 calls per day wanting, &/or demanding, a UI roll back. Now, 80/day, times a significant # of owners contacting our SC's here .... that # quantity, whether it matters? Who knows
As for being a 10% top privilege, that 10% often figures they're not going to have functions that maybe they based their purchase on - have said features removed & /or altered to what they consider their detriment. Not trying to sway anyone's view, or suggest anyone stop referring to fellow owners as whining complainers - but ... there ARE great minds whose tollerance for name-calling is such that they no longer contribute. Maybe that's a lot sadder than a lack owner empathy .

Last edited:
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Well, actually v9 is more taps because some Tesla software dweeb felt I only needed one app up at a time, so now I'm constantly double-tapping between music, browser (Teslawaze is a generation ahead of Tesla's map when it comes to information), and camera.

If the dweebs really felt the need to change something, why couldn't they make the damn mirrors stay folded until my butt is in the seat?
" some Tesla software dweeb felt I only needed one app up at a time" must have been an Apple iOS developer

To be clear, in V8, you need a tap to review the top row only if you have nav/maps active on top.... which I (and I suspect many others) never had. Nonetheless, in V8 I had camera and music active at all times, so it caused me exactly zero taps.

This is what happens when you design SW without understanding how customers actually use your product ... this is a big fail for Tesla IMHO ... I don't expect things like the AC controls, rear camera, music to be in a different place and have to fumble around when i have to get to work ... looking at the bottom of the screen feels dangerous to me .....

To be honest, there are some things I like about version 9, some things I don't.

Good:
  • Continuous access to app switcher.
  • Ability to change the divider between top and bottom content.
  • Overall menu organization seems less haphazard.
  • Auto-lane-change seems to work much better.

Bad:
  • Can't put camera on top.
  • Climate controls seem to give you much less control.
  • Can't adjust fan speed in biodefense mode (and much slower fan speed than in previous versions).
  • Web browser seems even slower now (as in slower than a 68k Mac from 1992, while connecting over dialup).
  • Way more "Take over immediately" errors, often while completely stopped in traffic.
  • Door open screen still sucks (back door is on top, front trunk is on top).
  • Still plays random music from my iPhone as soon as I open the door, with no way to turn it off.
  • Still no way to disable the automatic front door opening without also disabling double-click-to-open for the front doors.

I personally like the interface change. I pretty much always had maps on top, so fine where it is now. I also never really used much other than the media app, so I also like its new position, as well as the 3 different options for size.
As for the camera, I like the rear camera when parking, but didn’t like that I had to bring it up, and then change back to what I wanted before. I prefer how it is now. First off, it’s easier to hit on the bottom than the top. And getting rid of it is only one click now (versus previously having to tap the map to bring up the menu, and then again to choose something else. Similar with all the other apps...easier to click them on and then dismiss when I’m done.
The menu options are a lot cleaner now. Interface isn’t perfect, but overall I like it better. Easier to access cold weather options, which I definitely appreciate.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
As for the camera, I like the rear camera when parking, but didn’t like that I had to bring it up, and then change back to what I wanted before. I prefer how it is now. First off, it’s easier to hit on the bottom than the top. And getting rid of it is only one click now (versus previously having to tap the map to bring up the menu, and then again to choose something else.

Amount of taps are the same on version 8 and 9 in these scenarios though? In 8, replacing camera with map takes just one tap: tap on map. App tray does not disappear when camera is on top so there is no need to open the app tray in version 8. Also you can put the car on reverse in both versions and camera appears with 0 taps.

In version 8 bringing up camera instead of map on top: one tap to show app tray, second to open camera. Same on version 9: one tap to open app tray, second to open camera. Both have same variability as version 8 needs only one tap when map is not on top (app tray open all the time) and version 9 has the single swipe if camera was the last used app. But basically again same.

Version 9 does take away flexibility in showing app tray all the time and selecting the top app though.