Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Shrink Nav? Split Screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a 2013 pre-Autopilot Model S I always keep the backup camera on as the Model S has big blind spots. I always glance at the display in heavy traffic before changing lanes. For me the split screen is a necessity with backup camera on top and navigation on the bottom.

Same for me, I will not update my cars untill this is corrected, so maybe never. Current release I am on is stable so I am happy to not update.

We just received the V.9 update on our 2018 Tesla. We are very disappointed that we are no longer able to display the rear-view camera on top. We always have the camera on top and music/radio on the bottom. We almost never use the map. But with V.9, we're forced to always have the map visible, can't move the camera to the top, and can't have two information panels displaying at once (i.e., Camera, Media, Calendar, Phone, Browser, etc.)

We hope this downgrade to the user interface will be resolved in a future update. Many of the other V.9 changes we like, but not the camera placement or the removal of split-screen functionality.

Having a 2013 pre-Autopilot Model S I always keep the backup camera on as the Model S has big blind spots. I always glance at the display in heavy traffic before changing lanes. For me the split screen is a necessity with backup camera on top and navigation on the bottom.
I got the update this AM on my Pre-AP P85+, and yea fully agree. I like the snappiness of the new UI, but strongly dislike the lack of split screen. Maps in the Tesla is great when you are traveling, but 90% of the time I'm local and don't need them. Being forced to have maps up all the time is no bueno. I also always have the rear cam at the top and now if I want to leave it up I have to glance even further off the road to confirm the area behind me is clear. The inability to use media and cams at the same time (or, really anything at the same time beyond maps and something else) is not a welcome change.

I'm selling the S at the moment (see sig) and my new X hasn't gotten the update yet. I will not be updating the X until they let us put the cam at the top.

Reminder: [email protected] to send them feedback.

I really don't think it is that big of an issue:
As you can see, you can still easily use it in a sort of split screen mode. The only feature missing is the ability to have navigation on the bottom of your screen and the music player or rear view camera on top, but I'm pretty sure that Tesla has statistics on how many people actually use this setup.

Has anyone figured out how to split the screen? If we still can?

Typically i have music up top and calendar in bottom. When roadtripping i keep browser up top with Waze and radio on bottom.

Can’t do this anymore? Downgrade please.
This is a MAJOR step backward. In the model x the camera is my rear view mirror and I need to have it on top. There are also times I want to have the entire screen with the browser or media, and I certainly want to be able to switch the top and bottom.

PLEASE at least make this a user option. This is a real problem.

Can I uninstall the update?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I absolutely miss the split screen. Not only the split screen, I would like the ability to re-arrange the top/bottom halves, like before. For instance, I like the rear-view camera on the top half, as it's easier to glance when changing lanes....

Reactions: GSP and Fiver
Installed 9. So far my Web page for Waze no longer loads and web browser stays with a black screen, No front camera, Garage door opener stopped working and will not reprogram. Auto driver front door no longer opens or closes. Can't stop the Navigation screen from dominating the top half of the screen.
Other than that, so far, fine.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Fiver and kavyboy
I definitely suggest EVERYONE escalate this issue via your Tesla account. This will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update. Especially since eventually your car will break something that requires an update to replace like a drive unit for example.

To submit a concern for executive review, log into your Tesla account on the Tesla website, select manage your vehicle and under support select escalate your concern for executive review and submit your concerns. In this case reduced function of 9.0 and not being able to use the top portion of the display anymore vs 8.1 version of the in car software.

Heres what I sent

"Hello,

I have an issue with the new 9.0 software. I like to keep the rear view camera or the web browser on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. You have decreased the functionality of the 17 inch screen to only allow one user selected app to be displayed on the bottom of the display!? To top that off I RARELY use the in car maps on the main center display for more then a few moments especially since once I’ve entered a destination it displays turn by turn directions on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. At that point I switch the center display to rearview camera or web browser with WAZE. Please restore the ability to choose what applications I display on the top of my center console!

You should not be taking features away from customers, if anything we should have more user interface freedom, not less! For example how about letting us choose where things are displayed etc just like with a phone where you can move your most used applications around as well. "

I definitely suggest EVERYONE escalate this issue via your Tesla account. This will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update. Especially since eventually your car will break something that requires an update to replace like a drive unit for example.

To submit a concern for executive review, log into your Tesla account on the Tesla website, select manage your vehicle and under support select escalate your concern for executive review and submit your concerns. In this case reduced function of 9.0 and not being able to use the top portion of the display anymore vs 8.1 version of the in car software.

Heres what I sent

"Hello,

I have an issue with the new 9.0 software. I like to keep the rear view camera or the web browser on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. You have decreased the functionality of the 17 inch screen to only allow one user selected app to be displayed on the bottom of the display!? To top that off I RARELY use the in car maps on the main center display for more then a few moments especially since once I’ve entered a destination it displays turn by turn directions on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. At that point I switch the center display to rearview camera or web browser with WAZE. Please restore the ability to choose what applications I display on the top of my center console!

You should not be taking features away from customers, if anything we should have more user interface freedom, not less! For example how about letting us choose where things are displayed etc just like with a phone where you can move your most used applications around as well. "

Thanks, I will be escalating this as it seems I will be forced to update after xing out the last 2 days, there is a countdown timer that I cannot seem to stop for it to auto update.

Edit: oh wait, maybe that is just time left till the autoset time it defaults to :) Still escalated this.

Attachments

• 20181007_094334.jpg
    20181007_094334.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Tech_Guy