Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver BC VIN .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea! Took 3 and half or more to get my car. I might have come across you in the burning waiting Hall!

That’s distressing to read.

I’ll be traveling from Vancouver Island. My delivery time was supposed to be 3:30, but I got them to move it to noon. To make the noon appointment, I’ll have to get up around 4:00 am to be on the 6:30 am ferry from Departure Bay.

After delivery, I have to drive to RDI in Richmond, then take public transit to get Horseshoe Bay to get a ferry back to the Island.

If my delivery takes three and a half hours, this could be shaping up to be a longer day than I would like.

He had no problem with optional insurance with BCAA. However, when I deal with the ICBC ppl, he basically said no, you can’t drive outside the parking. Then I explain to him, he said, you can always buy full with ICBC and then switch to BCAA. He didn’t answer me how much that will cost me but gave me an quote for the optional. With exactly the same condition, his quote is $500+ more than BCAA. I think that’s a no-brainer for me. I called BCAA after getting the plate. After about 15 min long wait, I finally got connected with a grandpa. I appreciate he took care us, however, he basically went through everything again that we just went through with the ICBC guy. I thought it could be easier as I went through everything with local BCAA office last night. Anyway, when I finished BCAA part, it’s already 12pm. So guys, if you want to save some money on insurance, prepared to waste a lot of time here.

Couldn’t you have gone to BCAA first and get the plate+insurance all done before you went to Tesla? I’m planning to do that before I take delivery on Monday.

Couldn’t you have gone to BCAA first and get the plate+insurance all done before you went to Tesla? I’m planning to do that before I take delivery on Monday.

I don’t think so.

In order to buy insurance one has to own the car. ICBC issues the vehicle registration number. BCAA can’t sell the optional insurance until the owner has the ICBC basic insurance, the registration number and the plate number.

If a person is financing, the bank will likely require that the collision & comprehensive insurance be in place before the vehicle is delivered to the purchaser. I think that is the reason why people are being told they have to buy the optional coverage from the ICBC agent who is on site, then buy the BCAA optional and cancel the ICBC optional.

I’m not sure of this, but I think that’s how this works.

I

No, you can’t buy insurance until the car is transferred to you. Either dealer to you or private seller to you.

Just get the bcaa quote ahead of time, see the insurance thread, get basic and then call bcaa after.

I placed my order June 11, 4.37pm, and when I checked my account this morning, less than 48hrs later, I already have a VIN and a delivery date of June 18 (SR+, MSM, 18"). What?! How accurate is this date? I'll be coming over from the island so need a little more prep to get over for delivery.

I

No, you can’t buy insurance until the car is transferred to you. Either dealer to you or private seller to you.

Just get the bcaa quote ahead of time, see the insurance thread, get basic and then call bcaa after.
I went and got a quote from BCAA today and the super nice lady told me that I don't need to call them right away, just get the insurance from ICBC and then drive over to BCAA right away or next day to get it changed over. If you're paying monthly for insurance it won't be a problem as they'll refund you if you overpaid.
I placed my order June 11, 4.37pm, and when I checked my account this morning, less than 48hrs later, I already have a VIN and a delivery date of June 18 (SR+, MSM, 18"). What?! How accurate is this date? I'll be coming over from the island so need a little more prep to get over for delivery.
I believe they make vehicles in batches so you're just in that lucky timeframe! You can call Tesla if you want but my date that showed up on my account was accurate after calling them. You should get an email and assigned to a delivery agent 2-3 days before your delivery date.

I placed my order SR+, MSM, 18" on Saturday June 8 at 11 AM. Got the VIN in the source code two days after and the current delivery appointment is on June 23.

I went and got a quote from BCAA today and the super nice lady told me that I don't need to call them right away, just get the insurance from ICBC and then drive over to BCAA right away or next day to get it changed over. If you're paying monthly for insurance it won't be a problem as they'll refund you if you overpaid.

Not only monthly but applies to annual too. It's just ICBC prorating the premium. To keep things simple this is the best route to go imo and what I did.

Got a BCAA quote ahead of time so it's already in the system with the agent. On day of pick up, transferred plates over with basic and optional, paid the difference between old and new car. Went to BCAA couple days later because I wasn't available to go until then. Agent removed optional ICBC, got a refund through ICBC and added the BCAA optional insurance.

For those only buying basic insurance, is it really worth the risk savings from not having collision or comprehensive insurance?

Reactions: 525SNAP
Not only monthly but applies to annual too. It's just ICBC prorating the premium. To keep things simple this is the best route to go imo and what I did.

Got a BCAA quote ahead of time so it's already in the system with the agent. On day of pick up, transferred plates over with basic and optional, paid the difference between old and new car. Went to BCAA couple days later because I wasn't available to go until then. Agent removed optional ICBC, got a refund through ICBC and added the BCAA optional insurance.

For those only buying basic insurance, is it really worth the risk savings from not having collision or comprehensive insurance?
I agree. This is what I planned to do. You don't have to wait at Tesla and phone BCAA. Just go as soon as you can.

I would totally get comprehensive coverage. Tesla cars attract a lot of attention, both good and bad, so I feel like the chance of a break in is higher than other cars?

I agree. This is what I planned to do. You don't have to wait at Tesla and phone BCAA. Just go as soon as you can.

I would totally get comprehensive coverage. Tesla cars attract a lot of attention, both good and bad, so I feel like the chance of a break in is higher than other cars?

Never know with accidents, I read someone last year got rear-ended in the states just after getting their car. That really got me thinking about ICBC and how sometimes it's not clear cut, and if ICBC rules 50/50 then you are paying out of pocket to fix your own car.

As for comprehensive, rock chips to the windshield can happen anytime, so there is a risk around that too and it's not cheap either to replace.

I placed my order on May 15. When I first got a delivery date it was for June 14. The date has never changed for me. I’ll be on the first sailing from Departure Bay tomorrow.

Mine comes with HW2.5 instead of HW3.0.
The "manager" told me to take it or go home.

That's entirely fair, yours was ordered without the FSD option correct? Did you take it or leave it?
Tesla is already giving tons of hardware that's currently either unused or underutilized for "free". Requiring a feature you didn't pay for because it might enhance future resale (which it doesn't -- people have to pay to add FSD, at which point they'll swap in HW3 or HW3.5 or whatever it may be at that time) is not really fair.

3716E569-53FF-49BF-9149-BF775BE07CB6.png
That's entirely fair, yours was ordered without the FSD option correct? Did you take it or leave it?
Tesla is already giving tons of hardware that's currently either unused or underutilized for "free". Requiring a feature you didn't pay for because it might enhance future resale (which it doesn't -- people have to pay to add FSD, at which point they'll swap in HW3 or HW3.5 or whatever it may be at that time) is not really fair.

Then Tesla should admit this is a lie and I will be satisfied.

They are also saying paint chip is part of the new car. It’s normal and should be expected.

View attachment 418998

Then Tesla should admit this is a lie and I will be satisfied.

They are also saying paint chip is part of the new car. It’s normal and should be expected.

Do you know the build date of your car? I'd definitely agree with you since I don't like a lie as much as the next person, but unless you have a May or later build month it's a toss.

Regarding the paint chip, that would be uncharacteristic of recent Vancouver deliveries. Hopefully they are willing to resolve this for you as they have for others. They're maybe upset and short with you because you're upset about a feature you're not getting that you can't make use of. That said, honestly it sort of is normal. Normally, dealerships aren't so swamped and will correct it before the car is delivered to the customer. But it definitely does happen, even if the customer doesn't know it was corrected.