Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalism by 'Muricans Caught on Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw I read the article this morning, and as I sometimes do, read the comments posted to judge how many decent people were out there. Anyway saw a post from a Sacramento tv news person asking the owner to contact them as they would be interested to do a story. Thought you guys might like knowing that.

Haha just posted and saw the link above to a cbs local channel. Not sure if it was the same news agency or nit but glad to see this making the rounds.

Hope they get convicted of felony vandalism. It’s over $400 so could be some hefty fines and even jail time.

Btw I read the article this morning, and as I sometimes do, read the comments posted to judge how many decent people were out there. Anyway saw a post from a Sacramento tv news person asking the owner to contact them as they would be interested to do a story. Thought you guys might like knowing that.

Haha just posted and saw the link above to a cbs local channel. Not sure if it was the same news agency or nit but glad to see this making the rounds.

Hope they get convicted of felony vandalism. It’s over $400 so could be some hefty fines and even jail time.
Well, I won't go as far as throwing those idiots in jail. It is just a car after all. What I would love to see though is seeing them paying for fixing the car at the most expensive body shop ! :)

It almost seems like one of them thought they saw the ding happen.

"Intentional destruction of property" with value up to $1,000 is a Class 1 Misdemeanor in Virginia.

Hope they get caught.

Oh, I thought the OP had their car damaged. It was in California. In that case $400 or more wilful damage can make it a felony if a DA so decides.

If the news has reached the vandal, he should be nervous.

Neither is spending 60k a year in tax payer money to put someone who keyed a car in jail. We already lead the world in people in jails... Its not the answer.

But do you really think just paying some money is enough to eliminate this kind of behavior? I’m not convinced it does. The monetary fine will help reimburse the victim yes. Money’s money and doesn’t necessarily have a real impact to the perp. If these guys lose days/weeks/months of their life in jail with likely worse scum of the earths I think only then will it have an impact on them. Paying money is just an easy out and depending on the amount maybe just fine with them as “no skin off my nose” kind of thing, getting a pleasure reward doing it as these smiling guys obviously experienced.

I get the argument on the other side but as we’ve seen in car break-ins, no real consequences just makes doing it again just as easy as the first time.

Neither is spending 60k a year in tax payer money to put someone who keyed a car in jail. We already lead the world in people in jails... Its not the answer.
In jail? No, just a heavy fine.

But do you really think just paying some money is enough to eliminate this kind of behavior? I’m not convinced it does. The monetary fine will help reimburse the victim yes. Money’s money and doesn’t necessarily have a real impact to the perp. If these guys lose days/weeks/months of their life in jail with likely worse scum of the earths I think only then will it have an impact on them. Paying money is just an easy out and depending on the amount maybe just fine with them as “no skin off my nose” kind of thing, getting a pleasure reward doing it as these smiling guys obviously experienced.

I get the argument on the other side but as we’ve seen in car break-ins, no real consequences just makes doing it again just as easy as the first time.
I think so. If people know they may be on camera and know that if they get caught they will be paying 10k in fines, that's a huge deterrent.

....If people know they may be on camera and know that if they get caught they will be paying 10k in fines, that's a huge deterrent.

We’ll see. They also have to have the ability to pay for it. In this day and age when doing bad gets you positive social attention, and there are people who think keying cars, coal rolling, blocking charging stations, etc. furthers their cause/pleasure I don’t see this heading in a good direction. Heck some of these guys would probably put up videos of doing this kind of thing and reaping in $s with the video hits it would get. Like I said no skin off their nose.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
We’ll see. They also have to have the ability to pay for it. In this day and age when doing bad gets you positive social attention, and there are people who think keying cars, coal rolling, blocking charging stations, etc. furthers their cause/pleasure I don’t see this heading in a good direction. Heck some of these guys would probably put up videos of doing this kind of thing and reaping in $s with the video hits it would get. Like I said no skin off their nose.
I honestly think the vast majority of people that do this sort of thing aren't in poverty. People that are really struggling aren't as likely to risk blowing up their life for something like this.

Reactions: McFlurri and VQTRVA