Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Shutting Down, Pull Over Safely Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scary thing happened today. While my wife and I driving our Model Y to Ikea, a message showed up on the screen telling us to pull over the vehicle is shutting down. After we pulled over to the shoulder, the car wouldn't start with the message saying it was shutting down. The car never really shut down but I could not put it back to Drive. After resetting it twice, we still couldn't start it. I then contacted roadside assistant for a tow truck to the SC. It was going to be a 45 min wait. After 15 min the shutting down messages went away and I was able to drive it again. I canceled road side assistant and was able to continue our trip. The rest of the day the car drove fine. I still made an appointment with Tesla for next week to see what is wrong with it. Have this happen to anyone else? Getting stuck on the highway was no fun, especially we were at a curvy part of the highway. Fortunately the shoulder of that section was pretty wide. Never going to buy another early version of Tesla again. Been having too many small issues, and today experience actually made my wife to lose a lot of faith in the car.
IMG-20200905-WA0000.jpg

First time seeing this, make sure you note the time this happened, the virtual tech will need to look at your files, you can go back and edit the time in the service notes. The only thing I would check for now is a lose 12v battery cable, I think the nut is 10mm.

What’s your build date? Mine is Blue also.

Fred

First time seeing this, make sure you note the time this happened, the virtual tech will need to look at your files, you can go back and edit the time in the service notes. The only thing I would check for now is a lose 12v battery cable, I think the nut is 10mm.

What’s your build date? Mine is Blue also.

Fred
I did submit a bug report. Mine is early build, delivered in March. So I found out this is actually a bug from the latest 2020.36 update. Other people are having the same issue. I hope Tesla will fix this soon.

This happened to myself and has been happening to a bunch of others since the latest software update. Went to the service center, they ran diagnostics and nothing wrong with the car. It’s a firmware issue with the last software update, and a new software update just come out today to fix the issue. Try and download the latest software update from today and it probably won’t even happen again.

I’ve been seeing this over r/TeslaModelY as well. Yikes. If this gets picked up by the news, I can only imagine the headlines and ensuing outrage. “Tesla Model Y update disables cars while driving” “Tesla update bricks cars” Not good.

Yup, got it this morning. I just hope a bug like this won't happen again. I definitely will be careful from now on and not update right away when I get them.

I would think it's naive to think a bug like this wont happen again. Very complex software system and it's unfortunately impossible to test every single edge case. This is probably why Tesla tends to slow-roll releases.

Reactions: Dennisis and Klau2
I would think it's naive to think a bug like this wont happen again. Very complex software system and it's unfortunately impossible to test every single edge case. This is probably why Tesla tends to slow-roll releases.
yeah, having something like this happen to me definitely makes me understand more why company send out update in stages, more so important for a car than my phone. Before i always want update now now now, will be more careful from now on.

• Informative
Reactions: Levo
Scary thing happened today. While my wife and I driving our Model Y to Ikea, a message showed up on the screen telling us to pull over the vehicle is shutting down. After we pulled over to the shoulder, the car wouldn't start with the message saying it was shutting down. The car never really shut down but I could not put it back to Drive. After resetting it twice, we still couldn't start it. I then contacted roadside assistant for a tow truck to the SC. It was going to be a 45 min wait. After 15 min the shutting down messages went away and I was able to drive it again. I canceled road side assistant and was able to continue our trip. The rest of the day the car drove fine. I still made an appointment with Tesla for next week to see what is wrong with it. Have this happen to anyone else? Getting stuck on the highway was no fun, especially we were at a curvy part of the highway. Fortunately the shoulder of that section was pretty wide. Never going to buy another early version of Tesla again. Been having too many small issues, and today experience actually made my wife to lose a lot of faith in the car.View attachment 584938

Yep. Happened to me as well. The car is 9 days old, had the whole family in the car on the way to a funeral . Left us stranded on the side of a highway and then suddenly after 15 minutes the message disappeared and the car was again drivable. We took it home and grabbed our other vehicle and were late. Doesn’t exactly leave a warm fuzzy feeling going into winter soon.

Attachments

• 52A4351D-66F4-4DDF-93C1-45E091255556.jpeg
    52A4351D-66F4-4DDF-93C1-45E091255556.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 492
  • 27D1C5E1-8F9A-404A-AE24-68F1BAB3E399.jpeg
    27D1C5E1-8F9A-404A-AE24-68F1BAB3E399.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 269
I follow the same strategy downloading Tesla updates as I do with Apple OS updates, with Apple OS updates I wait a couple of weeks, with Tesla I wait a couple of days. Don't be in such a rush to get a new "feature" you didn't have to begin with. Having said that I do read the release notes first to make sure there isn't some "required now" update. But I'm in no rush to update software the day it comes out.

Reactions: Sbax and house9