Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very strange homelink bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Chamberlian MyQ wifi garage door opener that has worked flawlessly for the past year. It is setup with my Genie garage door opener.

If I setup homelink on the Model S, it will disable the wifi garage door opener. It just stops working--it's sending the open/close signal but the door won't actually open or close.

However, if I re-program the wifi garage door opener, it will work again, but then the homelink on the Model S will stop working?!

I have another car paired to the garage door opener, as well as a remote. (both work fine)

Any ideas?

I have a Chamberlian MyQ wifi garage door opener that has worked flawlessly for the past year. It is setup with my Genie garage door opener.

If I setup homelink on the Model S, it will disable the wifi garage door opener. It just stops working--it's sending the open/close signal but the door won't actually open or close.

However, if I re-program the wifi garage door opener, it will work again, but then the homelink on the Model S will stop working?!

I have another car paired to the garage door opener, as well as a remote. (both work fine)

Any ideas?
I'm having the exact same issues. Did you find any resolution to this?

I had to set my Homelink up using a completely different button on the original remote. That is, instead of using the same button (number 1) that we've used all along to program other cars (BMW, etc.), I had to use the second one to program the car and then use that 'recording' to program the opener. (The original remote had the capability of controlling three openers, so I had it running the same one twice, if that makes sense.)

Anything like that perhaps possible to keep it separate? This process was in my opener's manual as something that would possibly be needed with Homelink.

I'm confused.

It sounds like you have a Genie opener.
It appears you have added a MyQ Garage remote controller.
You have another car programmed for the Genie opener; that makes 2 remotes.
You have another Genie remote for the Genie opener; that makes 3 remotes.
The Tesla would be the 4th remote.

Do you have any other remotes? I think older Genie has a limit of 6 or 7 (the new ones are much higher), so be sure you are not accidentally reaching the limit.

I'm confused.

It sounds like you have a Genie opener.
It appears you have added a MyQ Garage remote controller.
You have another car programmed for the Genie opener; that makes 2 remotes.
You have another Genie remote for the Genie opener; that makes 3 remotes.
The Tesla would be the 4th remote.

Do you have any other remotes? I think older Genie has a limit of 6 or 7 (the new ones are much higher), so be sure you are not accidentally reaching the limit.

That may be the case. I have counted all my current remotes/devices.

1. Tesla
2. MyQ
3. Volvo
4. Handheld remote
5. Handheld remote #2
6. Handheld remote #3 (My MIL has this, didn't even know about it.)

Sounds like it's allowing a newer device to be programmed, but dropping the most current one.

I'll have to start from scratch and re-program everything to see if I can get both the MyQ and Tesla to work together.

That may be the case. I have counted all my current remotes/devices.

1. Tesla
2. MyQ
3. Volvo
4. Handheld remote
5. Handheld remote #2
6. Handheld remote #3 (My MIL has this, didn't even know about it.)

Sounds like it's allowing a newer device to be programmed, but dropping the most current one.

I'll have to start from scratch and re-program everything to see if I can get both the MyQ and Tesla to work together.

I believe the manual for the liftmaster says it drops the oldest (FIFO). Different brands or years may be different.

I'm pretty sure there is a limit to how many devices you can sync up with certain garage door openers. I had a similar problem a few years ago, although I forgot what brand opener it was. You probably can only have 5.

So I have a chamberlain opener with wifi that I also have connected to their recently released MyQ HomeKit Hub and my Tesla hasn't had any issues operating the door before and after the addition of the MyQ HomeKit Hub...

Not sure if that helps at all... :)

Jeff

I currently only have 4 devices programmed but the Genie supported up to 6 devices. The strange thing is if I go to the homelink settingswhere it shows that the opener isn't programmed and I select home, program and then press start the garage door opens!!

Inhabe some issue here with model s. I had problem programming the remote, to the point that I went to the SC.
After various trials, they said the homelink module was to be replaced...and will send someone at my house.
OK, the day after I gave it a try again and this time I was able to program the homelink and worked for 4 days.
Cancelled the appointment with the Tesla “mobile service”.
All happy, until saturday, when the homelink does not work anymore, Button is green but it does not open/close the garage.
I have a Genie ProMax 500IC...

Inhabe some issue here with model s. I had problem programming the remote, to the point that I went to the SC.
After various trials, they said the homelink module was to be replaced...and will send someone at my house.
OK, the day after I gave it a try again and this time I was able to program the homelink and worked for 4 days.
Cancelled the appointment with the Tesla “mobile service”.
All happy, until saturday, when the homelink does not work anymore, Button is green but it does not open/close the garage.
I have a Genie ProMax 500IC...
Can you try the following and see if it helps? That is the only way for my MX on HW2.5 to get homelink to work correctly. Go into the Homelink settings and select the door that you programmed earlier and is not opening. Select program and then Start. For me the garage door opens immediately after that without requiring reprogramming. It's a pain to navigate the menu each time to open/close the garage but the workaround seems to be working consistently for me.