Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a Nest outdoor cam. I did go back through the footage for the day and it was the only time this car came through. I only have five days of archive footage... but the Nest app does allow me to go through it quick... I think I will check the other days. I expect it's a local individual... it's not typical to get folks on the street who aren't trying to get to their home, apartment, etc. Many of the vehicles I knew as folks from the hood.
Nice, I got the same door cam, so you know it is a running most recent 5 days of footage. It's probably going to catch every car going through there in the last 5 days :) Best of luck on this one.

• Love
Reactions: peterept
Nice, I got the same door cam, so you know it is a running most recent 5 days of footage. It's probably going to catch every car going through there in the last 5 days :)

Yeah, it's a lot of vehicles I went through. The more I watched... the more I was like "it's almost impossible to hit the car." There is just so much space... it'd be hard to hit the vehicle. Thought it was something with knobby tires... like larger SUV or ATV. Never thought about someone backing up into it, but now I know in the future what that type of damage looks like (I'm in insurance).

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Concerning the repeated question of "why do this to your own car," it occurs to me that the driver might not have been the other car's owner. This possibility includes everything from a teenager driving a parent's car to the car being stolen, with lots of other options in-between (a friend's car, a rental car, a company car, etc.). Some of those might provide opportunities for investigation, like asking local rental car outfits if they've had a car of the make and model in the video returned with damage to the right-rear bumper.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic and Dr. J
Yeah, it's a lot of vehicles I went through. The more I watched... the more I was like "it's almost impossible to hit the car." There is just so much space... it'd be hard to hit the vehicle. Thought it was something with knobby tires... like larger SUV or ATV. Never thought about someone backing up into it, but now I know in the future what that type of damage looks like (I'm in insurance).

How about those pictures of the damage???? Perhaps you're making it up?

Concerning the repeated question of "why do this to your own car," it occurs to me that the driver might not have been the other car's owner. This possibility includes everything from a teenager driving a parent's car to the car being stolen, with lots of other options in-between (a friend's car, a rental car, a company car, etc.). Some of those might provide opportunities for investigation, like asking local rental car outfits if they've had a car of the make and model in the video returned with damage to the right-rear bumper.

This is a very good point. A+

Judging by how quickly they fled the scene I think it was 100% intentional.
There you go, its one these 100% absolutely, positively, no other way Jose, totally, flat-out, certainly, indisputable intentional acts. Oooops my bad, I forget a few more synonyms. I think I am beginning to learn why some innocent people go to prison. ;)
I think even Spock would have given it a 99.99% probability :D

Edit: and just trying to through a little humor in here, but it really isn't a very funny situation when it happens to your car.

Last edited:
Judging by how quickly they fled the scene I think it was 100% intentional. If they had stopped for a few seconds, kind of like ' oh crap, what did I do?', I would tend to think it might be accidental. Runs that stop sign too......

Exactly my thought... kinda sped up to do the damage and then sped away. It just seems like too much time waiting before positioning and then reversing "somewhat speedily" followed by the after committing a felony jitters ;-)

Reactions: byeLT4
Jeez. That just sucks. I just cannot explain why someone would damage their own (clean looking) car in the process.

To me, after watching the video a few times, it looks like the person reversed to check out your car, misjudged it, and took off after the hit.

Maybe it's a stolen car, so no cares? Out here people steal cars and then drive around breaking into others.

• Disagree
Reactions: ry-ballz
There you go, its one these 100% absolutely, positively, no other way Jose, totally, flat-out, certainly, indisputable intentional acts. Oooops my bad, I forget a few more synonyms. I think I am beginning to learn why some innocent people go to prison. ;)
I think even Spock would have given it a 99.99% probability :D

I like to think the best of people as well... but when they do not fess up to what they did, then it goes to intent (at least that's how I look at it). If some of the circumstances were different, then I could understand it being accidental. Once you start considering all of the individual circumstances (stop for extended period, repositions vehicle, backs up swiftly, doesn't stop to consider what happened, commits traffic violation going through stop sign and leaving the scene)... it's a harder pill to swallow.

It does seem like an option... "it was another's vehicle" is possible. Also, that someone was under the influence of something is possible, but unfortunately we've seen too many situations where people just want to cause damage to teslas.

OMG just watched the video, glad you at least had the Nest recording otherwise would not have seen the bizzare way that happened. Do hope the police are able to track them down but if a stolen car unless they catch the thief, little chance likely. That was very strange behavior and no reason for him to back up like that and damage your car like that. Any reason someone doesn't like you?

At least with the Nest video and police report your insurance can see your car got damaged while parked and not moving (so not like you were driving and got sideswiped or you sideswiped someone). Believe it falls under Comprehensive.

It's frustrating to say the least to see someone door ding you but to see someone reverse and back hard into you like that I can't imagine how it makes you feel. So sorry about your car.

BTW with the Nest footage you can hear the car starting up, so it had to have been parked at one of your neighbor's homes or in front of their house.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Possibly number 3 !!!
I suppose it could be intentional, but could just as easily be another reason. They do seem to have a newer car with no damage on it. Maybe the cute little Tesla just caught their attention and they backup up to take a closer look at hit it without intending to do it. I just wonder if it was intentional, then why do it in such a nice car.

So glad to see folks try to look for a positive side of things. I think you are correct.

Note when they moved forward after a long pause they started to turn slightly, they may have forgotten they were now at a slight angle.

Also as they were backing up they started to slow down, like they wanted to get a good "pan" over the car. And oops they F'd up.
I don't think they would have slowed like that if they wanted to do damage.

Like you said, there car was way to nice to be that stupid.

Definitely a fine for hit and run though.

P.S. Watched again, to see how bad the plate view was. One thing that looks suspicious is the drivers actions in the car. It looks like he IMMEDIATELY put his car drive after a full stop, like it was premeditated. Try watching video again and keep an eye on the driver.

Last edited:
Zero chance this was an accident. It takes time to shift from reverse into drive and this guy did it immediately after colliding, and then he speed off in a hurry.

When people are in accidents, they look around, they are cautious, they take inventory. This situation only happened after the guy sat around on lookout for other vehicles, then hit and ran.

Well... those of us who thought it was intentional lost.

I got home from work and what would you know... a white sonata parked across the street perpendicular to my home.

Walked up to the car and asked if the driver had been in an accident recently... she immediately said, "It's my daughter's car."

Daughter came out and gave me the explanation that she was having an argument with her boyfriend... she shifted into reverse and, ultimately was not paying attention. When she hit the car she just took off.

She said that she felt bad and wanted to knock on the door but... told her I had it all on camera and then she apologized profusely.

Insurance is minimum limits of $5k... hopefully 1) coverage is in effect and 2) it's enough to get it fixed including diminished value... probably not enough :-(

Without the camera... she would have been totally in the clear... if you don't have something... it's definitely worth it... mine is $50/year for the nest subscription (5 days cloud storage)... it paid off in this situation because I wouldn't even have known the culprit was right across the street otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_163809.jpg
    IMG_20190701_163809.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 183

If it wasn't for the fact that the culprit car was a similar size white sporty sedan I'd agree with you. Not as likely a friends car or company car.

It just so happens the white model 3 was probably exactly how they would option their Tesla.

He was either envious or curious.

Whoops Edit Edit Edit. Just saw prior post. Regardless of what really happened, they did come back. Awesome !!

P.S. OP did prime us to think it was intentional, note the subject line ;)

Well... those of us who thought it was intentional lost.

I got home from work and what would you know... a white sonata parked across the street perpendicular to my home.

Walked up to the car and asked if the driver had been in an accident recently... she immediately said, "It's my daughter's car."

Daughter came out and gave me the explanation that she was having an argument with her boyfriend... she shifted into reverse and, ultimately was not paying attention. When she hit the car she just took off.

She said that she felt bad and wanted to knock on the door but... told her I had it all on camera and then she apologized profusely.

Insurance is minimum limits of $5k... hopefully 1) coverage is in effect and 2) it's enough to get it fixed including diminished value... probably not enough :-(

Without the camera... she would have been totally in the clear... if you don't have something... it's definitely worth it... mine is $50/year for the nest subscription (5 days cloud storage)... it paid off in this situation because I wouldn't even have known the culprit was right across the street otherwise.

I'm glad to hear you found the perp and that their insurance will be paying, rather than yours! +1 on the camera - We have a Skybell and two other cameras pointing forward!

Reactions: C141medic