Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of what really happened, they did come back. Awesome !!

P.S. OP did prime us to think it was intentional, note the subject line ;)

I'll agree that, from the outside it looked intentional. Glad it wasn't. But, as I mentioned to my boss... drama keeps many people poor... she shouldn't have been on the phone with her boyfriend, especially in an argument, while driving. Nothing good can come of distracted driving.

You take someone that is in a poor state of affairs and just shovel this on... I don't wish any ill on her, but it's definitely not what she needed at this point in her life. Plus, she made it seem like the BF was just telling her to lay low... you should not be affiliating yourself with folks that give you bad advice especially when you can "easily" cut ties with them.

Also, it's crucial to note that, without the [Nest] camera, I would have no idea that the vehicle across the street did the damage. She DID NOT come to me... I saw the car and went over there myself. The Nest is literally the only reason why I'll be able to [hopefully] collect without going through my insurance carrier. I think I'm going to upgrade to the 4k camera... really wish I was able to read the license plate.

Anyway... reasonably happy... hope the insurance comes through without too much work. Going to ask for the full $5k upfront... damage and diminished value will no doubt exceed that amount. TY for all the folks who said "it may have just been an accident." We need folks like you to balance me out!! ;-)

And a big TY to technology, which occasionally saves the day, even though it's mining my personal data 24/7!

I'll agree that, from the outside it looked intentional. Glad it wasn't. But, as I mentioned to my boss... drama keeps many people poor... she shouldn't have been on the phone with her boyfriend, especially in an argument, while driving. Nothing good can come of distracted driving.

You take someone that is in a poor state of affairs and just shovel this on... I don't wish any ill on her, but it's definitely not what she needed at this point in her life. Plus, she made it seem like the BF was just telling her to lay low... you should not be affiliating yourself with folks that give you bad advice especially when you can "easily" cut ties with them.

Also, it's crucial to note that, without the [Nest] camera, I would have no idea that the vehicle across the street did the damage. She DID NOT come to me... I saw the car and went over there myself. The Nest is literally the only reason why I'll be able to [hopefully] collect without going through my insurance carrier. I think I'm going to upgrade to the 4k camera... really wish I was able to read the license plate.

Anyway... reasonably happy... hope the insurance comes through without too much work. Going to ask for the full $5k upfront... damage and diminished value will no doubt exceed that amount. TY for all the folks who said "it may have just been an accident." We need folks like you to balance me out!! ;-)

And a big TY to technology, which occasionally saves the day, even though it's mining my personal data 24/7!

Glad things are working out, and that the damage isn't such that you can't still drive it while the paperwork processes!

Went to go out to grab some food last night and did a double take... fairly serious damage to my Model 3, front - driver side.

Figured someone wasn't paying attention and accidentally hit & ran.

Check the Nest cam footage and found that the truth is far worse :-(

Now I understand it could be one of two things... 1) envy or 2) Tesla hater.

I'm leaning towards #2 as I don't understand how #1 would lead someone to do what was done - though I know it's definitely possible.

Sentry was not on... I usually park in the driveway... but got home a little late and was going to leave again.

Play it full screen to get the full effect of what was done...

dude did not do that on purpose, like he wanted to ****up his car no way. Maybe if it was like a old ass pos car but no way he did that because he hates teslas

Adds to poll: "Grounded for two months, can no longer date reprobate boyfriend."

Wow, she didn't own up to it, until AFTER the owner asked. What kind of person, ie neighbor, does that? One, don't park on the street. Two, watch those sketchy neighbors of yours. Three, so the daughter did it, but did her parents ask her what happened to the Sonata? And did they notice the white Tesla across the street had matching damage the same day? Four, you should think of finding a better apartment when your lease finishes.

Well... those of us who thought it was intentional lost.

I got home from work and what would you know... a white sonata parked across the street perpendicular to my home.

Walked up to the car and asked if the driver had been in an accident recently... she immediately said, "It's my daughter's car."

Daughter came out and gave me the explanation that she was having an argument with her boyfriend... she shifted into reverse and, ultimately was not paying attention. When she hit the car she just took off.

She said that she felt bad and wanted to knock on the door but... told her I had it all on camera and then she apologized profusely.

Insurance is minimum limits of $5k... hopefully 1) coverage is in effect and 2) it's enough to get it fixed including diminished value... probably not enough :-(

Without the camera... she would have been totally in the clear... if you don't have something... it's definitely worth it... mine is $50/year for the nest subscription (5 days cloud storage)... it paid off in this situation because I wouldn't even have known the culprit was right across the street otherwise.
Ah missed this one. Glad it worked out

Wow, she didn't own up to it, until AFTER the owner asked. What kind of person, ie neighbor, does that? One, don't park on the street. Two, watch those sketchy neighbors of yours. Three, so the daughter did it, but did her parents ask her what happened to the Sonata? And did they notice the white Tesla across the street had matching damage the same day? Four, you should think of finding a better apartment when your lease finishes.

Own my house... Coming up on 10 years. She's new... Just moved from FL a week ago so I didn't know her.

She is the parent... Doesnt live with parents.

Normally I don't park in the street, I have a driveway. This was just an exceptional situation, where the perfect storm yielded an unfortunate result.

Reactions: Big-T and KenC
So I guess that explains why she sat for so long. Sucks your car was hit and glad you had the Nest recording it all.
Do you think they would have come to the door if you hadn't gone out to them?

Based on my conversation with her, she wanted to, however, without the video, I doubt she would have. Can tell she is not financially sound, so I understand the "wait and see" approach, however it probably wasn't the best moral decision.

For our purposes, I'll say "she would have." Thankfully I don't need to find out.

Walked up to the car and asked if the driver had been in an accident recently... she immediately said, "It's my daughter's car."

Daughter came out and gave me the explanation that she was having an argument with her boyfriend... she shifted into reverse and, ultimately was not paying attention. When she hit the car she just took off.

She said that she felt bad and wanted to knock on the door but... told her I had it all on camera and then she apologized profusely.

She is the parent... Doesnt live with parents.
So, it was the Mom driving and arguing with her boyfriend, in her daughter's car?:confused:

If you got the license plate number their insurance company would probably drop her / him after paying for your damages. Your insurance company would make sure her / his insurance paid for the damage.
Also intentional hit and run with major dollar damage is criminal and she / he could be looking at jail time.
Leaving the scene of an accident she / he could also lose their license.
It looks intentional so all of the above should apply.

[QUOTE="molder101, post: 3799544, member: 98079]

And a big TY to technology, which occasionally saves the day, even though it's mining my personal data 24/7![/QUOTE]

Strongly suggest filing via your own insurance company. This way, any damage over $5k and your underinsured motorist coverage will kick in. Your insurance company can and will subrogate your deductible back from their insurance.

Also make sure you close the loop with the police department, please. The report needs to be amended and I, personally, think this woman needs a visit from them. Someone in that state of mind doesn’t belong on the road. Hit and run is a major offense. We just had a woman killed here this week in a hit & run - could’ve very easily happened with this driver too.

Which part of NJ are you in? I’m in Morris Co, and unlike, say, NYC, out here our PD would take this seriously.

Up until 2 years ago I thought the majority of people were good people trying to do the right things in life.
I thought maybe 10% were bullies and evil out to cheat people and con their way thru life.
At this point I realize that there are many more evil people in the world and close to 50% are just selfish, self centered con men.
It is sad. When I hear stories of how people never used to lock their doors and windows because no one would ever take something that did not belong to them I think about a kinder, more respectful time when people cared for one another. I guess they stopped teaching the "Golden Rule" in schools about 40 years ago and society is worse for it.