Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest problem we have with our insurance is that they're guaranteed a 15% YoY profit by our provincial laws. Even if you're accident free for 20 years, no claims, and etc etc rate saving perks. The rates go up, it's bonkers. I don't know what the situation is in the US. Capitalism is failing society.

Capitalism does not equal 15% YoY profit... it's much more like 30% ;-)

Yeah, I have a friend in insurance in Canada... one of the carriers [there's only a couple as I recall] was raising the auto rates substantially and he had to make those calls... "it's not you... it the insurance company."

In reality, capitalism allows for competition, so you almost always have options through other carriers... it just requires some work.

Thankfully, NJ is one of the (very) few states where you can file a diminished value claim against your own insurance company

Yes, I did look this up already... was going to try to have that part only through the responsible party's insurance and then realized I didn't need to bother. It will all work out... just a bit of a hassle... though I'm not complaining... hassle is sometimes part of life. Deal with it and move on!

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Judging by how quickly they fled the scene I think it was 100% intentional. If they had stopped for a few seconds, kind of like ' oh crap, what did I do?', I would tend to think it might be accidental. Runs that stop sign too......
To be fair, they did stop for quite a long time before the collision :D

There you go, its one these 100% absolutely, positively, no other way Jose, totally, flat-out, certainly, indisputable intentional acts. Oooops my bad, I forget a few more synonyms. I think I am beginning to learn why some innocent people go to prison. ;)
I think even Spock would have given it a 99.99% probability :D

Edit: and just trying to through a little humor in here, but it really isn't a very funny situation when it happens to your car.
This is one of those cases where intent shouldn't matter. The only thing that matters is if they accepted responsibility or not. Intentional or not, they should pay for the damage. And driving away after the collision should mean legal trouble.

Up until 2 years ago I thought the majority of people were good people trying to do the right things in life.
I thought maybe 10% were bullies and evil out to cheat people and con their way thru life.
At this point I realize that there are many more evil people in the world and close to 50% are just selfish, self centered con men.
It is sad. When I hear stories of how people never used to lock their doors and windows because no one would ever take something that did not belong to them I think about a kinder, more respectful time when people cared for one another. I guess they stopped teaching the "Golden Rule" in schools about 40 years ago and society is worse for it.
*Citation Needed*

What a weird place to park your car

Agreed. I’m also not entire sure it was legally parked, but the camera angle makes it tough to tell. It’s 30 feet minimum from a Stop Sign (some places are more - but as a general rule it’s 30 feet).

Not that this has anything to do with the situation here, but I’d never be parked in that location, not even for 60 seconds.

Went to go out to grab some food last night and did a double take... fairly serious damage to my Model 3, front - driver side.

Figured someone wasn't paying attention and accidentally hit & ran.

Check the Nest cam footage and found that the truth is far worse :-(

Now I understand it could be one of two things... 1) envy or 2) Tesla hater.

I'm leaning towards #2 as I don't understand how #1 would lead someone to do what was done - though I know it's definitely possible.

Sentry was not on... I usually park in the driveway... but got home a little late and was going to leave again.

Play it full screen to get the full effect of what was done...

Why wasn’t Sentry on?

What's the situation with the driver? Moved from Florida? Single parent? Super curious.... I agree, seems to back up to see the sign to see what cross street was or something, and forgot the Tesla in the blind spot. Still it's the worst type of offense... hit and run.... I'd turn her in.

Reactions: KenC and C141medic
Fabulous. Glad to hear you got it resolved and that there isn't some crazed person in the neighborhood. Thanks for the info.
It's a good example of I never say 100% anything. There is always another possibility.

So are you totally on board with the explanation? The one that came from a person that broke the law running the stop sign, running from the scene of the accident? And failing to tell the OP (plenty of chances, he's right next door, and any failed attempt would have been recorded by the Nest LOL)? Yeah, they are surely 100% trustworthy...... I do agree that there is always another possibility ;)

I'll agree that, from the outside it looked intentional. Glad it wasn't. But, as I mentioned to my boss... drama keeps many people poor... she shouldn't have been on the phone with her boyfriend, especially in an argument, while driving. Nothing good can come of distracted driving.

You take someone that is in a poor state of affairs and just shovel this on... I don't wish any ill on her, but it's definitely not what she needed at this point in her life. Plus, she made it seem like the BF was just telling her to lay low... you should not be affiliating yourself with folks that give you bad advice especially when you can "easily" cut ties with them.

Also, it's crucial to note that, without the [Nest] camera, I would have no idea that the vehicle across the street did the damage. She DID NOT come to me... I saw the car and went over there myself. The Nest is literally the only reason why I'll be able to [hopefully] collect without going through my insurance carrier. I think I'm going to upgrade to the 4k camera... really wish I was able to read the license plate.

Anyway... reasonably happy... hope the insurance comes through without too much work. Going to ask for the full $5k upfront... damage and diminished value will no doubt exceed that amount. TY for all the folks who said "it may have just been an accident." We need folks like you to balance me out!! ;-)

And a big TY to technology, which occasionally saves the day, even though it's mining my personal data 24/7!

While she didn't intend to hit your car according to her conversation with you, she did intentionally ignore taking responsibility for it like she should have. Like you said if you hadn't had the camera and approached her it sounds doubtful she would owned up to it. Kind of bad to be in a situation where your neighbor damages your property and doesn't say anything.

So what did you say to the police? Does she realize she committed hit and run damage? If she wasn't going to fess up to property damage what if she had hit a pedestrian walking by your car. I'd say even less likelihood she would have spoken up...just like she didn't this time.

How does any State let someone own and operate a vehicle with only $5K coverage for something like this?

Last edited:
has the FUD really paranoid so many people into thinking that every single thing is a case of tesla hate? there are a handful of isolated malicious actions, sure. but seriously people, most drivers are idiots. a large percentage of those idiots will run, just like this person. tesla owners are not being targeted (well, except maybe for those corner window break ins), and aren't a persecuted class of drivers.

Thank you for writing what I was thinking reading through this thread. I'd bet that the actual number of malicious acts towards Teslas for ideological reasons is far overshadowed by the number of things that happen because people are just plain inconsiderate/rude/mean.

How does any State let someone own and operate a vehicle with only $5K coverage for something like this?

I'm in Northern CA and this happened to me..and Honda. I was leasing a Honda Fit EV and Honda included the auto insurance in the lease payment. I was rear ended on West Bound I-80 near Northgate Blvd. Damage was over $30,000 and took almost 4 months for repair. I was hoping Honda would just total the car, but to my surprise, they decided to have it repaired. Rumor was, Honda wanted it back on the road because it was a compliance car.

In any case, I got a call from the insurance company (State Farm) of the guy who hit me about 9 months later .... months after I had already turned the car back in to Honda. He wanted me to sign something to close the file of the case. He then told me, the guy who hit me only carried the state minimum $5,000 insurance for property damage. Honda elected to eat the cost and not pursue legal action against the guy who hit me to recover the $25,000 balance for the repairs. I personally now suspect there are a lot of people driving around with the bare minimum amount of insurance.

Agreed. I’m also not entire sure it was legally parked, but the camera angle makes it tough to tell. It’s 30 feet minimum from a Stop Sign (some places are more - but as a general rule it’s 30 feet).

Not that this has anything to do with the situation here, but I’d never be parked in that location, not even for 60 seconds.
In NJ you aren't allowed to park in front of any private or public driveway, so no, it wasn't parked legally. (I don't see a provision in the law for your own driveway making it ok, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. ). Also, it is 50 feet from a stop sign that is required here.

In NJ you aren't allowed to park in front of any private or public driveway, so no, it wasn't parked legally. (I don't see a provision in the law for your own driveway making it ok, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. ). Also, it is 50 feet from a stop sign that is required here.

Right. So two people carrying out illegal acts. Not that it makes the more egregious illegal act any less egregious.