TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Video: Ever wonder how lithium is mined for batteries?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by f-stop, Jan 11, 2017.

1. f-stop

f-stop Member

just came across this short Bloomberg video with Ashlee Vance (author or Elon Musk biography) visiting a lithium mine in Chile's Atacama Desert. Not a lot of techincal details, but interesting to see, plus a couple mentions of Tesla

Ever wonder how lithium is mined for batteries?

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  2. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

So, the obvious question is how "green" is lithium?

If most of it comes from underground wells, allowed to dry in huge ponds on the surface, what are the impacts? Although there's no sign of life around where the mines are (Chilean desert), is there any detrimental effect - by-products, ecological, etc? In my opinion, an independent environmentalist such as David Suzuki would lend credibility to it. I have seen a video of his trip to South American operations, but nothing states exactly the impact.

I'm also curious about recycling, which hasn't truly caught on yet, and I'm sure that details of the recovery of materials isn't widely known. How much material is wasted/unrecoverable from batteries?

What would be the future with newer battery material development? How does this impact ecology and recyclability?

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Recycling lead acid batteries from ICE starter batteries is a mature industry, no reason why li-ion car batteries couldn't be recycled when there is an industrial supply of them.

• Like x 1
  4. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

True, but given that there's already a great deal of battery usage with cellphones and many other electronic items there's really nothing noted about recovery and recycling of materials.

5. jkn

jkn Member

Lithium makes about 2% of battery, so recycling nickel is more important.

It is easier to recycle large car battery than collect similar amount of cellphone batteries.

• Like x 2
  6. Rossy

Rossy Member

Found this great talk on Li-Ion battery life research. Note: most of the talk is quite technical. But the PhD guru inventor of the new test technique works for Tesla now. (Not presenter). I loved this talk, but I work in test and measurement.