Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: New Summon Features 7.1 (2.12.22) In Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just added a video demoing the new Summon Features in 7.1 (2.12.22). My favorite new feature is the ability to double-click the park button and simply get out of the car to automatically park the car in your garage. No keyfob or app required. I also demonstrate how you can adjust the "Summon Distance" if you want the car to stop before the default of 39 feet. My driveway is under 30 feet long, so this is exactly what I needed. I also show how those Consumer Reports concerns were addressed about requiring a button (in the app) to be held down the entire time a Summon is in progress. Enjoy!

Tesla 7.1 (2.12.22) New Summon Features Detailed - YouTube

Just wondering. So you've set the car to automatically park itself after you close the door. How much time passes before it actually starts to move? Will you have enough time to open the trunk lid to get your groceries out of the car? How does the car react if there are passengers in the car who haven't opened their door yet? If the car moves with passengers in the car, does the car stop the moment they open the door?

In other words: Is it idiot proof? (Just let me play with it for an hour! :scared:)

Just wondering. So you've set the car to automatically park itself after you close the door. How much time passes before it actually starts to move? Will you have enough time to open the trunk lid to get your groceries out of the car? How does the car react if there are passengers in the car who haven't opened their door yet? If the car moves with passengers in the car, does the car stop the moment they open the door?

In other words: Is it idiot proof? (Just let me play with it for an hour! :scared:)

It starts immediately (within seconds) after you shut the driver door. So, if you have groceries or others in the car, you'd leave the door open. When everyone and everything is out, you shut the driver door and it'll pull in.

Why, oh why, can't I autopark while staying inside the car. I go into my house through my garage door, which is in my garage. Why would I enable autopark in my driveway and walk along side my car into the garage?? Please, Tesla allow me to enable autopark without having to leave the car.

To me, this seems like the much more obvious use case for autopark. You pull into your driveway, push the autopark button. Enjoy the easy ride into the garage, get out and go inside....

Why, oh why, can't I autopark while staying inside the car. I go into my house through my garage door, which is in my garage. Why would I enable autopark in my driveway and walk along side my car into the garage?? Please, Tesla allow me to enable autopark without having to leave the car.

1. You can. Use the fob.
2. 99% of people in your described scenario wouldn't want to sit in the car while it creeps into the garage at 1 MPH. They'd just park it themselves (5x faster).
3. 76% of statistics are made up.

1. You can. Use the fob.
2. 99% of people in your described scenario wouldn't want to sit in the car while it creeps into the garage at 1 MPH. They'd just park it themselves (5x faster).
3. 76% of statistics are made up.

I don't pull into my garage much faster than the Autopark does. It feels stranger to me to walk beside the car as it pulls into the place I'm heading than to ride into the garage with the car.

Hi all,

I just added a video demoing the new Summon Features in 7.1 (2.12.22). My favorite new feature is the ability to double-click the park button and simply get out of the car to automatically park the car in your garage. No keyfob or app required. I also demonstrate how you can adjust the "Summon Distance" if you want the car to stop before the default of 39 feet. My driveway is under 30 feet long, so this is exactly what I needed. I also show how those Consumer Reports concerns were addressed about requiring a button (in the app) to be held down the entire time a Summon is in progress. Enjoy!

Tesla 7.1 (2.12.22) New Summon Features Detailed - YouTube

Thanks for the great video. Can't wait to update. I was worried I would be in quandary as to whether or not I should install the next update since I don't really want the dead man switch. It's great that it's an option for those who leave bikes or backpacks in front of their car to run over.

Thanks for the great video. Can't wait to update. I was worried I would be in quandary as to whether or not I should install the next update since I don't really want the dead man switch. It's great that it's an option for those who leave bikes or backpacks in front of their car to run over.

Yes, it's a very serious safety concern in comparison to, say, driving 50mph with five feet separating you and another car traveling in the opposite direction at 50mph.

To me, this seems like the much more obvious use case for autopark. You pull into your driveway, push the autopark button. Enjoy the easy ride into the garage, get out and go inside....

Couldn't you effectively have this by enabling auto-park, open the door, and then close it (don't leave your seat)? Or does auto-park simply not activate until you've left your seat?

Couldn't you effectively have this by enabling auto-park, open the door, and then close it (don't leave your seat)? Or does auto-park simply not activate until you've left your seat?

No, I tried this. If you double-click the parking button, the AutoPark display appears on the center console. If you open and shut the driver's door, Summon does not begin. It must check the seat occupancy sensor. After trying twice while sitting down, I got out of the car and it parked automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

Does auto-park auto-fold the mirrors before entering the garage?

Yes, automatically by default. (I don't think you can override it, either.)

No, I tried this. If you double-click the parking button, the AutoPark display appears on the center console. If you open and shut the driver's door, Summon does not begin. It must check the seat occupancy sensor. After trying twice while sitting down, I got out of the car and it parked automatically.

Sorry to be a bother, but how about one more test?

1) activate auto-park
2) open drivers door
3) open rear passenger door (behind driver) ... and get in rear passenger seat!! (edit: forgot this part)
4) close both doors
5) profit?

Sorry to be a bother, but how about one more test?

1) activate auto-park
2) open drivers door
3) open rear passenger door (behind driver) ... and get in rear passenger seat!! (edit: forgot this part)
4) close both doors
5) profit?

Okay, I tested this out.

1) Activate Auto-Park
2) Open Driver's Door and Get Out
3) Open Rear Passenger Door
4) Close Driver's Door (Summon does NOT start. It gives you time to let someone out of the back seat, for example, even with the driver's door closed.)
5) Close Passenger Door
5) Profit... Summon will commence.

SCORE!!!

Thanks for being so generous with your time to scratch someone else's itch!!

Okay, I tested this out.

1) Activate Auto-Park
2) Open Driver's Door and Get Out
3) Open Rear Passenger Door
4) Close Driver's Door (Summon does NOT start. It gives you time to let someone out of the back seat, for example, even with the driver's door closed.)
5) Close Passenger Door
5) Profit... Summon will commence.