TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Video: New Summon Features 7.1 (2.12.22) In Action

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MarkS22, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Hi all,

I just added a video demoing the new Summon Features in 7.1 (2.12.22). My favorite new feature is the ability to double-click the park button and simply get out of the car to automatically park the car in your garage. No keyfob or app required. I also demonstrate how you can adjust the "Summon Distance" if you want the car to stop before the default of 39 feet. My driveway is under 30 feet long, so this is exactly what I needed. I also show how those Consumer Reports concerns were addressed about requiring a button (in the app) to be held down the entire time a Summon is in progress. Enjoy!

Tesla 7.1 (2.12.22) New Summon Features Detailed - YouTube

2. SwisSojourners

Great job explaining the additional Summon functionality.

3. retinaguy

retinaguy Member

Excellent video showing a feature I was unaware of!

4. Adm

Adm Active Member

Just wondering. So you've set the car to automatically park itself after you close the door. How much time passes before it actually starts to move? Will you have enough time to open the trunk lid to get your groceries out of the car? How does the car react if there are passengers in the car who haven't opened their door yet? If the car moves with passengers in the car, does the car stop the moment they open the door?

In other words: Is it idiot proof? (Just let me play with it for an hour! :scared:)

5. Barry

Barry Member

Didn't double clicking the parking button unlock the doors previously?
    (my MS is in the body shop now, so can't test it myself)

6. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

It starts immediately (within seconds) after you shut the driver door. So, if you have groceries or others in the car, you'd leave the door open. When everyone and everything is out, you shut the driver door and it'll pull in.

7. R²B

R²B All Star

Why, oh why, can't I autopark while staying inside the car. I go into my house through my garage door, which is in my garage. Why would I enable autopark in my driveway and walk along side my car into the garage?? Please, Tesla allow me to enable autopark without having to leave the car.

To me, this seems like the much more obvious use case for autopark. You pull into your driveway, push the autopark button. Enjoy the easy ride into the garage, get out and go inside....

8. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

1. You can. Use the fob.
    2. 99% of people in your described scenario wouldn't want to sit in the car while it creeps into the garage at 1 MPH. They'd just park it themselves (5x faster).
    3. 76% of statistics are made up.

9. R²B

R²B All Star

I don't pull into my garage much faster than the Autopark does. It feels stranger to me to walk beside the car as it pulls into the place I'm heading than to ride into the garage with the car.

10. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

You'd rather go through the whole process of activating autopark then to simply keep driving into the garage?

11. R²B

R²B All Star

My garage is a tight fit. If the car more reliably navigates the tight spaces, then yes.

12. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

You can certainly do it. Just put the car in park outside your garage and activate summon with the fob. I've done it a few times for entertainment purposes. I believe I'm better at parking than the car is, so I don't do it routinely.

13. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Thanks for the great video. Can't wait to update. I was worried I would be in quandary as to whether or not I should install the next update since I don't really want the dead man switch. It's great that it's an option for those who leave bikes or backpacks in front of their car to run over.

14. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Yes, it's a very serious safety concern in comparison to, say, driving 50mph with five feet separating you and another car traveling in the opposite direction at 50mph.

15. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Couldn't you effectively have this by enabling auto-park, open the door, and then close it (don't leave your seat)? Or does auto-park simply not activate until you've left your seat?

16. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Does auto-park auto-fold the mirrors before entering the garage?

17. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

No, I tried this. If you double-click the parking button, the AutoPark display appears on the center console. If you open and shut the driver's door, Summon does not begin. It must check the seat occupancy sensor. After trying twice while sitting down, I got out of the car and it parked automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, automatically by default. (I don't think you can override it, either.)

18. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Sorry to be a bother, but how about one more test?

1) activate auto-park
    2) open drivers door
    3) open rear passenger door (behind driver) ... and get in rear passenger seat!! (edit: forgot this part)
    4) close both doors
    5) profit?

19. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Okay, I tested this out.

1) Activate Auto-Park
    2) Open Driver's Door and Get Out
    3) Open Rear Passenger Door
    4) Close Driver's Door (Summon does NOT start. It gives you time to let someone out of the back seat, for example, even with the driver's door closed.)
    5) Close Passenger Door
    5) Profit... Summon will commence.

20. Oil4AsphaultOnly

SCORE!!!

Thanks for being so generous with your time to scratch someone else's itch!!