Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of Stamping Model 3 Body Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top Secret Plan for Success:
1. Do what you say you are going to do...
2. ...when you say you are going to do it and...
3...at the cost you said it would come in for.
All the rest is fluff.
Robin
Top Secret Plan for Success: Believe you can and you're halfway there.
1. Do what you can,
2. ...with what you have,
3. ...where you are.
Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited:
Isn't the top of the battery pack essentially the floorpan?
Yes and no, the battery on the Model S is attached to a separately contained passenger cell. Think of an old school cell phone with a removable battery, the cell phone has it's own containment cell for the electronics, and the battery is attached at key points -- same for the Tesla design, at least that is how the Model S is - its basically a sled with wheels, a battery and motors and then they drop the body on top of the sled.

As I understand it, the Model 3 battery is still a separate unit from the floorpan. The 3 has to have its own separate waterproof floor as part of the car body, that only makes sense. But the 3 battery is attached differently, in that it just can't be unbolted from the bottom like the S and X. Bolts go into it from the inside also.

So he posted a video of one part being made in one station of a transfer press and it's evidence that they're not being hand built? LOL
If he actually posted this in response to hand built comments then that is pathetic but I'm sure the media probably just spun it to make it seem so?

Yes and no, the battery on the Model S is attached to a separately contained passenger cell. Think of an old school cell phone with a removable battery, the cell phone has it's own containment cell for the electronics, and the battery is attached at key points -- same for the Tesla design, at least that is how the Model S is - its basically a sled with wheels, a battery and motors and then they drop the body on top of the sled.
I've also seen reference to a ceramic fire-barrier between pack and floor pan as well.

However it doesn't seem to be part of the pack, and I've not seen it in any Model S tear down videos, although admittedly most don't have an upwards shot of the bottom of the floor pan. So I'm unsure if it was actually implemented, or perhaps something that was in a patent somewhere but didn't make it to production (as is the case with several other Tesla patents).

Musk needs to let the producers of "How it's made" into the factory to prove M3 production is automated. Love that cheesy background music.
I would absolutely love to see that, but they might need for these guys to get their Model 3 production line going first.

BRIEF-Shanghai Kelai Mechatronics Engineering starts seating production line for Tesla's Model3 (TSLA)

Now that I've read this article over and over, I can't figure out if "seating" is a noun or a verb.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to see that, but they might need for these guys to get their Model 3 production line going first.

BRIEF-Shanghai Kelai Mechatronics Engineering starts seating production line for Tesla's Model3 (TSLA)

Now that I've read this article over and over, I can't figure out if "seating" is a noun or a verb.
Did you actually read the article you're posting in multiple threads? It says they started making the seats in May. I'm guessing they produced more than a few seats over the last 5 months. Plus this could be the minority producer of seats since it's known that Tesla has backup manufacturers for most parts.

@S3XY.

The article was posted today because vendors are speaking out as to how many products are being requested by Tesla.

Its almost like this vendor is saying "today"...... there is no problem with our product... Tesla just isn't asking for many of them. Maybe the vendors are trying to save face from their involvement in the production process.